Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul (including Timothy) wrote to the saints (holy ones) in Jesus Christ who were in Philippi. He thanked the Lord for their partnership (fellowship, participation) in the gospel of Christ, and he spoke words of encouragement to them. And then he spoke to them about his own persecutions for the sake of the gospel, but of how what he went through actually served to advance the gospel – all glory to God! But he accepted that persecution was all part of being a servant of the Lord. And although he longed for his heavenly home, out of love for the people, he knew he must remain with them.

“Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.” (Philippians 1:27-30 ESV)

Now Paul knew that it was necessary that he continue with the people for their progress and joy in the faith. And so he counseled them on what that faith should look like, but not just in word, but in deed. And so he told them that they were to let their manner of life be worthy (becoming to, suitable to, and fitting) of the gospel of Christ. And the gospel that Jesus taught said that if we are going to come after him that we must deny self, take up our cross daily (die daily to sin) and follow him in obedience to his commands. And Paul taught the same gospel message (Luke 9:23-26; Romans 6:1-23).

So, if we are letting our manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, what should that look like, in practice? Definitely it means humbling ourselves before the Lord, submitting to his will for our lives, self-denial, dying daily to sin, and walking in obedience to our Lord in holy living, by the grace of God, and in the power of God. It means us having lives which are surrendered to Jesus Christ to do his will and to fulfill his purposes for our lives via obedience, but not only to his commands, but to his calling on our lives, and not just collectively, but his calling on our individual lives, too.

And so this means that we will no longer be making sin our practice (our “go to,” our habit, our lifestyle). Now righteous living will be our practice, by the grace of God. We will no longer be walking in sin and according to the flesh and according to the ways of this sinful world, but our lives will be dedicated to the Lord and to his service in living holy, righteous, morally pure, honest, faithful, and obedient lives to Christ on a daily basis. Sin will no longer have mastery over our lives to where we obey its desires, but now God will have mastery over our lives to where we obey his desires for us who are His.

Now, ideally this is what our lives are to look like who profess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of our lives. So, collectively this is how we should all be living, to please God in all that we do and are and say and practice. And if collectively we all are living this way, then we should all be standing firm in one spirit, with one mind (the mind of Christ), striving side by side for the faith of the gospel. And this means that we all should be sharing the truth of the gospel with other people, in practice, and we should, as well, be refuting the lies of the enemy which are coming against the true gospel message.

And when we do this, whether individually or collectively, we are going to be opposed, even some by other professers of faith in Jesus Christ, and even by some who call themselves “pastors” of “churches.” For not everyone is of genuine faith in Jesus Christ, and not all who profess Christ are living for him in holy living. Many of them give lip service only to God while they continue to live in deliberate and habitual sin against the Lord. So, if we are sharing the gospel that Jesus and Paul taught, we will be opposed as they were. But we are not to be frightened in anything by our opponents.

Now, sadly, the above mentioned is a clear sign to them (our opponents) of their destruction, but of our salvation, and that from God. For if sin is what we practice, and not righteousness, and not obedience to our Lord, it won’t matter what we profess with our lips. We will not inherit eternal life with God. For Jesus said that not everyone who says to him, “Lord, Lord,” will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one DOING the will of God the Father in heaven (Matthew 7:21-23). So, we need to take this to heart and make certain that our manner of life is worthy of the gospel of Christ.

[Matt 7:21-23; Lu 9:23-26; Jn 6:35-58; Jn 15:1-11; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; Gal 5:16-24; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:1-11; Titus 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-10; 1 Jn 2:3-6; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 10:23-31; 1 Co 10:1-22; Heb 3:1-19; Heb 4:1-13; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

I Stand in Awe

By Mark Altrogge

You are beautiful beyond description
Too marvelous for words
Too wonderful for comprehension
Like nothing ever seen or heard
Who can grasp Your infinite wisdom?
Who can fathom the depth of Your love?
You are beautiful beyond description
Majesty, enthroned above

And I stand, I stand in awe of You
I stand, I stand in awe of You