Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,267.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Yesterday we actually had a commemoration of our 60th anniversary as a church. The pastor brought out the baptismal registry, and there were over 600 entries. In fact many of the people in the book were still with us in the congregation, though some quite a bit older. Many had even had their own children baptized in our congregation.

We also sang the hymn, Borning Cry. It's one of my favorites. Maybe it will help you understand the significance of baptism. It's not about us remembering our choice for God, but about God's choice for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To get back to the topic at hand, this is why I would have liked an adult baptism. I'd have been old enough to appreciate the symbolism and meaning of baptism. But as a baby I don't remember it and I feel like I missed out on a very vital Christian event.
In that case, I would definitely seek out a place and get baptized.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
To get back to the topic at hand, this is why I would have liked an adult baptism. I'd have been old enough to appreciate the symbolism and meaning of baptism. But as a baby I don't remember it and I feel like I missed out on a very vital Christian event.

I od not know any part of the Scripture that says you are not allowed to be baptized twice. I had an adult baptism because the infant baptism did not help me believe in God, angels, and heaven. I was saved at a church that does not believe in infant baptism and baptizes people ages 8 and up whether they had infant baptisms or not.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I'm fairly sure scripture uses the word "baptise" - to fully immerse. Anything else isn't really baptism, just as trimming any other body part or thing isn't really circumcision, however anyone wants to claim that it is.

Ancient people who spoke Koine as their own language had no trouble using baptize and baptism to refer to non-immersion acts, such as pouring. And I think it's safe to say that native speakers probably know how to use their own language better than people thousands of years removed do. So, no, "baptize" does not mean "to fully immerse", that idea is a modern imposition in the attempt by modern non-native speakers of Koine to insist on their tradition as the only valid one over and against the historic practices which go back to the beginning--to the apostles themselves; as witnessed to by the abundance of historical witness by Christians themselves, who wrote and spoke Koine themselves.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This is the earliest written account of how to baptize from the Didache,

Chapter 7. Concerning Baptism. And concerning baptism, baptize this way: Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in living water. But if you have no living water, baptize into other water; and if you cannot do so in cold water, do so in warm. But if you have neither, pour out water three times upon the head into the name of Father and Son and Holy Spirit. But before the baptism let the baptizer fast, and the baptized, and whoever else can; but you shall order the baptized to fast one or two days before.

Upvote 0