What is the Orthodox explanation for diseases existing?

PlatinumTrophies

Learning The Way
Feb 14, 2019
Suburbia
✟3,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If humans never suffered on Earth, then Heaven wouldn't be very special I presume. I've seen saints quote that suffering is a way for humans to get stronger, either through helping others who are struggling or through enduring suffering themselves.

Many atheists curse God for allowing cancer and tuberculosis to ever exist. Why do diseases exist, both genetic and viral or bacterial?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If humans never suffered on Earth, then Heaven wouldn't be very special I presume. I've seen saints quote that suffering is a way for humans to get stronger, either through helping others who are struggling or through enduring suffering themselves.

Many atheists curse God for allowing cancer and tuberculosis to ever exist. Why do diseases exist, both genetic and viral or bacterial?
We live in a fallen, cursed world, resulting from Adam's disobedience and rebellion against God. When sin came into the world, the diseases came with it. Satan is the god of this fallen world, and that is why converted Christians turn their backs on the philosophies and attitudes that exist in our world. We are in the world, but not of it. The world is a hostile place for Christian believers. We no longer belong to it.

Atheists may blame and curse God for the diseases of the world, but their obstinacy and rebellion against God is putting them under subjection to the god of this world. They have no cause to curse or blame God because they are part of the problem. Their best bet is to look to the state of their eternal souls before it is too late for them.

There will come a time when Jesus will return, wind everything up, destroy this present world, and create a new heavens and earth without sin, sickness and disease. Then it will really be true that God's will, will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

PlatinumTrophies

Learning The Way
Feb 14, 2019
Suburbia
✟3,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We live in a fallen, cursed world, resulting from Adam's disobedience and rebellion against God. When sin came into the world, the diseases came with it. Satan is the god of this fallen world, and that is why converted Christians turn their backs on the philosophies and attitudes that exist in our world. We are in the world, but not of it. The world is a hostile place for Christian believers. We no longer belong to it.

Atheists may blame and curse God for the diseases of the world, but their obstinacy and rebellion against God is putting them under subjection to the god of this world. They have no cause to curse or blame God because they are part of the problem. Their best bet is to look to the state of their eternal souls before it is too late for them.

There will come a time when Jesus will return, wind everything up, destroy this present world, and create a new heavens and earth without sin, sickness and disease. Then it will really be true that God's will, will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.
I genuinely do not care for hearing Evangebapticostals in this subforum.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

The standard answer you'll likely find within the Orthodox Church is that all suffering is due to living in the "fallen world". Adam was created to live in a perfect world, but through his first sin he was cursed to live in an imperfect world. The promise of God is to restore us to that perfect world. Through Adam's disobedience he was cursed; through our obedience we will be blessed.

Personally, I accept the idea of a "fallen world", I just don't accept a lot of the explanations for it.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I genuinely do not care for hearing Evangebapticostals in this subforum.
That's a pity. I thought that my comment would be helpful to you as the OP. I think I can comment here but not to debate. Actually I am not whom you are describing by the way. I am merely a Christian who loves Christ and puts Him first in my life before any church or religious organisation.

Upvote 0

PlatinumTrophies

Learning The Way
Feb 14, 2019
Suburbia
✟3,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's a pity. I thought that my comment would be helpful to you as the OP. I think I can comment here but not to debate. Actually I am not whom you are describing by the way. I am merely a Christian who loves Christ and puts Him first in my life before any church or religious organisation.
Matthew 16:18

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 16:18
I can't comment on that because any response would not be in accordance with the rules of this forum. So we will let sleeping dogs lie on that issue. :)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No need to be rude to a guest
I don't mind. :) I think that it comes from a worry that people with my forum label might attack the established Orthodox Church in their comments out of a lack of respect. I know that we wouldn't have the wide range of original Greek manuscripts that contribute to our Bibles it if wasn't for the faithfulness of the Orthodox Church to maintain the faith and its roots over the centuries.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Disease resulted from the fall of man through sin, the same way death entered.

Death was not a punishment for sin, per se, but a natural result of it. God is the Source of life. Just as a man who shuts himself into a metal safe would cut himself off from seeing sunlight, man through sin cut himself off from God. Without the Source of Life, man began to die.

At the same time, the world became infected with sin. Disease, temptation, man's tendency to self away from God, continuing and increasing sin - all these things result from that condition.

God will eventually restore all things to His created intention for everything.

And yes, let's please be welcoming to visitors as we would be if they came to our Church in person.

Upvote 0

PlatinumTrophies

Learning The Way
Feb 14, 2019
Suburbia
✟3,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And sorry, going back to the beginning from another link, I see you were asking a slightly different question.

You're basically asking why God allows things to be the way they are? We can't know the mind of God. I rather doubt that He planned the fall as something He desired for mankind. But He has created both men and angels with the dignity of having free will. It is one of the ways we are made in the image of God. But regardless, what I do know is that God is masterful in taking our bad choices and turning them to the good. That is what He often does with disease, suffering, and the like if we cooperate with Him. But I would not say He purposes that from the beginning. We won't know the answer to that until and unless He tells us someday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
disease entered into the world at the Fall. we get diseases yes, because of Adam and Eve but also because of our own sin. sin is cosmic. so my sins affect you, just like your sins affect me (and the opposite is also true when it comes to repentance).

heaven, unlike Eden, is special because of the Incarnation. man will have a deeper communion with God in heaven which he didn't have in Eden because humanity has been perfectly deified in Christ.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
seriously, no need for rudeness. many non-Orthodox have liked asking folks stuff on here because TAW has been more friendly than other subforums. it'd probably be best to keep it that way.
Some non-Orthodox have been led into the Orthodox Church because of the kindness, patience and friendliness of the Orthodox here in their willingness to answer questions.

Upvote 0