What is the greatest moral issue in modern society?

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Of all the issues in modern society, what is the greatest?

I had this question as an assignment in my Christian Morality class, and I thought it would be good to share it here. I had a friend who put down that the greatest moral issue is that we keep talking about moral issues without actually doing anything about them. I liked that idea, and when I had another assignment I wrote in the class (about a controversial moral issue), I decided to write about the societal acceptance of laziness.

I think laziness could rightly be defined as at least 1 of the greatest moral issues in modern society. It is a fundamental problem, because the more laziness is accepted, the less will be done about any moral problem. I see it all the time when people waste hours on YouTube, Snapchat, or any of the vast entertainment platforms that are available today. What would happen to mental health problems, and moral issues throughout the world today, if people put aside this entertainment in favor of doing something that brings accomplishment to their life? Not the entertainment is bad in and of itself, but when entertainment becomes a way of life, we miss out on so much!

So what do you think?

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I had this question as an assignment in my Christian Morality class, and I thought it would be good to share it here. I had a friend who put down that the greatest moral issue is that we keep talking about moral issues without actually doing anything about them. I liked that idea, and when I had another assignment I wrote in the class (about a controversial moral issue), I decided to write about the societal acceptance of laziness.

I think laziness could rightly be defined as at least 1 of the greatest moral issues in modern society. It is a fundamental problem, because the more laziness is accepted, the less will be done about any moral problem. I see it all the time when people waste hours on YouTube, Snapchat, or any of the vast entertainment platforms that are available today. What would happen to mental health problems, and moral issues throughout the world today, if people put aside this entertainment in favor of doing something that brings accomplishment to their life? Not the entertainment is bad in and of itself, but when entertainment becomes a way of life, we miss out on so much!

So what do you think?

Looking at the 7 worst of all sins, as given in Proverbs:

16 There are six things that the LORD hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:

17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked plans,
feet that make haste to run to evil,
19 a false witness who breathes out lies,
and one who sows discord among brothers.

Proverbs 6 ESV

The one most common today is a very close contest between the 2nd (and that version in the 6th), lying (and false accusations), and the last, stirring up conflict in the community, such as by slandering, or dividing people.

These are the most common today in America, and totally deadly.

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

So what do you think?
Fanaticism.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Fanaticism.
Yet, without lies and political scheming and slander to direct people against one another, fanaticism just becomes some lesser thing, harmless even, like being a sports fanatic....

Look to the proverbs, such as just above, for true wisdom that gets to the heart of things. :)

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yet, without lies and political scheming and slander to direct people against one another, fanaticism just becomes some lesser thing like being a sports fanatic.... Look to the proverb, just above, for true wisdom. :)
Im an atheist, dont care about religious texts.

• Prayers
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im an atheist, dont care about religious texts.
Even the non believer that has even just a desire for the best life here and now wants to gain wisdom that benefits them here and now in this life, immediately....

Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,687.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Even the non believer that has even just a desire for the best life here and now wants to gain wisdom that benefits them here and now in this life, immediately....
I get my wisdom from sources that are more rational thanks.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of all the issues in modern society, what is the greatest?...

So what do you think?

Possibly, it's the now-powerful trend to think that what one's own mind or one's social group considers to be moral necessarily IS moral, and anyone holding a different view not only is automatically immoral but has forfeited his human rights as a result.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I think the question is inherently flawed, as trying to determine what single issue is the greatest distracts from the fact that there are a lot of major issues, and we need to work on all of them.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So what do you think?

Breakdown of the family unit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private

So what do you think?
Ignorance and delusion. They spawn greed and aversion, and from there, all the other unskillful behaviors we see in the world.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get my wisdom from sources that are more rational thanks.
Well, my own personal way of assessing a wisdom idea is to test it, to get a real outcome, and compare to competing ideas. Kinda because of my science background possibly.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Looking at the 7 worst of all sins, as given in Proverbs:

16 There are six things that the LORD hates,
seven that are an abomination to him:

17 haughty eyes, a lying tongue,
and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 a heart that devises wicked plans,
feet that make haste to run to evil,
19 a false witness who breathes out lies,
and one who sows discord among brothers.

Proverbs 6 ESV

The one most common today is a very close contest between the 2nd (and that version in the 6th), lying (and false accusations), and the last, stirring up conflict in the community, such as by slandering, or dividing people.

These are the most common today in America, and totally deadly.

All of these very sins are what led us to the pandemic that we deal with today.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yet, without lies and political scheming and slander to direct people against one another, fanaticism just becomes some lesser thing, harmless even, like being a sports fanatic....

Look to the proverbs, such as just above, for true wisdom that gets to the heart of things. :)
The problem is the proverbs are focusing on intentionality and assuming that fanaticism and zealotry are to be praised as opposed to the idea that there is a golden medium you should strive for, at least if you try to apply some Greek philosophy to Abrahamic faith

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think the question is inherently flawed, as trying to determine what single issue is the greatest distracts from the fact that there are a lot of major issues, and we need to work on all of them.
We may not agree on much, but I can agree that trying to focus on one almost seems to forget that they all interconnect in a way (and that's not just my Buddhist mind talking, it's kind of intuitive if you think about it a bit)

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Well, my own personal way of assessing a wisdom idea is to test it, to get a real outcome, and compare to competing ideas. Kinda because of my science background possibly.
So there's been no "real outcome" in you testing, for example, Buddhist ideas in any respect to Christian ones even though comparative religion scholars have made decent cases that there are strong parallels between the two faiths? Or is it just that you think it's just incidental that Buddhism agrees even though supposedly we can date Buddhist texts as early as the time when Jewish texts were dated, 500-600 BCE?

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Possibly, it's the now-powerful trend to think that what one's own mind or one's social group considers to be moral necessarily IS moral, and anyone holding a different view not only is automatically immoral but has forfeited his human rights as a result.
Well, that seems like hyperbole, unless you can give concrete examples that are consistent and not likely a matter of ideological extremism instead of a trend that trickles down to all people rather than just some

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So why would a non believer who also doesn't care about the afterlife want to listen to a text that tends to focus on that in regards to why you should be moral?

Upvote 0