What is the greatest moral issue in modern society?

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of all the issues in modern society, what is the greatest?

I had this question as an assignment in my Christian Morality class, and I thought it would be good to share it here. I had a friend who put down that the greatest moral issue is that we keep talking about moral issues without actually doing anything about them. I liked that idea, and when I had another assignment I wrote in the class (about a controversial moral issue), I decided to write about the societal acceptance of laziness.

I think laziness could rightly be defined as at least 1 of the greatest moral issues in modern society. It is a fundamental problem, because the more laziness is accepted, the less will be done about any moral problem. I see it all the time when people waste hours on YouTube, Snapchat, or any of the vast entertainment platforms that are available today. What would happen to mental health problems, and moral issues throughout the world today, if people put aside this entertainment in favor of doing something that brings accomplishment to their life? Not the entertainment is bad in and of itself, but when entertainment becomes a way of life, we miss out on so much!

So what do you think?
Laziness would be the sin of sloth which is said to be one of the 7 deadly sins. But I think selfishness is one of the biggest problems today. If you can call selfishness a moral issue. But everything seems to be linked back to selfishness. They say money is the root of all evil. But I think primarily money is about self as well. It is about gaining stuff, comforts, and happiness for self.

It seems everyone is demanding something better, more stuff, a fairer deal, complaining and protesting to the point of making it hard for others. They are all consumed with what they want and need and have little time for others.

I know with certain self-help philosophies like AA and religions helping others is the key to becoming a better person and overcoming problems so there is lot of good all round. This shows that most problems are associated with being absorbed with self whether that be mental health issues where a person cannot see beyond their own self-made world that creates unreal perceptions about reality or self-will running riot where some will cause problems and harm for others through their behavior.

But it seems that people are becoming more selfish and at the same time we are seeing a lot of problems happening.

Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The greatest moral issue in modern society?

Well, how about we look to see what people around the globe have been protesting for the last week or so. That might give us a clue.

What else though?

- Climate change
- Global poverty
- Global hunger
- Lack of access to clean drinking water
- Lack of access to proper medical care
- Systemic oppression against minorities and the poor

-CryptoLutheran
IMO all these issues are related to selfishness. Some people have more than others, some people are using more resources and polluting more than others to gain a so-called better life. Dictators in 3rd world countries are taking from the poor to feather their own nests. The environmental conditions of some nations are the result of pollution and climate change which is caused by economic policies by wealthier nations who are being selfish to ensure they have everything.

Yet the wealthier nations do not want the emerging nations to do what they have done in their attempts to have even a small portion of what the wealthy nations have and at the same time, won't help the poor nations to have a decent standard of living. Often there is a protest from wealthier nations that they have to look after their own backyards first. But any perceived problems in these nations is usually caused by the very policies that are affecting poor nations.

If more wealthy nations and individuals gave more and went without some of their creature comforts then there wouldn't be such a big need by poor nations. There is at this time enough to go around for just about everyone. All we really need is decent shelter, food in our belly, and decent health care. We are capable of training medical staff and teachers to educate. We are capable of looking after every one on this planet with these basic needs. But many are incapable of giving up their wants.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All we really need is decent shelter, food in our belly, and decent health care. We are capable of training medical staff and teachers to educate.

Why not decent food as well? Most health problems are caused by what, how, and how much, we eat.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why not decent food as well? Most health problems are caused by what, how, and how much, we eat.
I wonder how much processed foods the elites eat. I'll bet little from the grocery store shelves makes it to their tables. Feeding the world on chemically enhanced starch and sugar concoctions is not the answer unless of course one can make billions in their production.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder how much processed foods the elites eat. I'll bet little from the grocery store shelves makes it to their tables. Feeding the world on chemically enhanced starch and sugar concoctions is not the answer unless of course one can make billions in their production.

There is little difference in the eating habits of the rich and poor in this country. The difference is that the rich can afford the medical bills.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟315,079.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Of all the issues in modern society, what is the greatest?

I had this question as an assignment in my Christian Morality class, and I thought it would be good to share it here. I had a friend who put down that the greatest moral issue is that we keep talking about moral issues without actually doing anything about them. I liked that idea, and when I had another assignment I wrote in the class (about a controversial moral issue), I decided to write about the societal acceptance of laziness.

I think laziness could rightly be defined as at least 1 of the greatest moral issues in modern society. It is a fundamental problem, because the more laziness is accepted, the less will be done about any moral problem. I see it all the time when people waste hours on YouTube, Snapchat, or any of the vast entertainment platforms that are available today. What would happen to mental health problems, and moral issues throughout the world today, if people put aside this entertainment in favor of doing something that brings accomplishment to their life? Not the entertainment is bad in and of itself, but when entertainment becomes a way of life, we miss out on so much!

So what do you think?
Wealth inequality and racism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟247,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I agree, but funny enough it is the basic foods like fruit and veg and grains that are more economical and good for you. Meats especially fish is more expensive. But I think it is the control by big business that pushes prices up. The thing is in most countries people could grow their own fruit and veg and have some chickens if they want. You can go to farmer's markets and get cheap fruit and veg.

Upvote 0