What is the “one baptism” mentioned in Ephesians 4:5? (I have an answer, but I would like input).

What is the one baptism mentioned in Ephesians 4:5?

• Total voters

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Actually 1 Corinthians 10:2 proves my case for Spirit baptism being the one and only baptism for today, my friend. Many will say that we must baptize in water as a part of Matthew 28:19 as a part of the great commission. But what they fail to understand that the word baptize can be into something or someone without any ritualistic water involved.
It does not prove your case at all. You insist that water baptism is just ritualistic.
Both the crossing of the sea, and agreeing to be submerged in water "in the Name"
have one thing in common, and that is Faith.
Stepping into the sea required quite a bit of Faith, but water baptism as an OT
type or a NT instruction both involve the activation of Faith. Many people today
supposedly receive salvation by believing Jesus will take them to heaven when they die.
No repentance, no remission, water baptism does become an empty ritual.
The Spirit baptism sustains the remission of sin for those who abide.
They are those who walk "under the cloud" from the figure.

For the Israelites were not literally baptized into the red sea in the name of Moses. Moses was a type of Christ, and the Israelites following Him was like as if they were following Christ. For they all drank of that spiritual drink, and drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ (1 Corinthians 10:4). In other words, the Israelites partook of the real Christ when they were following Moses. Without the Lord our God, they would have no spiritual life in them. The same is true today. If we are not united to the Holy Spirit after receiving Christ, then how can we have life?
Yes, this is walking by Faith.
Okay. The 1st aspect of salvation is being saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ without the deeds of the Law.
The first aspect of salvation is to repent, and to desire reconciliation and a living relationship with
the Father. As already stated above, a desire to go to heaven when you die in not repentance.
Don't
need to go off topic with a discussion of Grace Vs The Law.
Water baptism was just an outward picture of the real baptism that takes place (Which is Spirit baptism). Spirit baptism is the greater reality.
Water baptism is not just an "outward picture", it is an act of faith (possibly the first, unless you
consider walking down the aisle for an altar call) that goes beyond believe.
If Spirit baptism is "the greater reality" (I can accept that) then the water baptism is real, not
just for appearances.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Does the thread topic say: “Discuss & Criticize Bible Highlighter's Modus Operandi”? Surely not.
No, as is common it says (I am not asking because I don't [already] know), which by its nature talks down to the entire forum and justifies the criticism that was directed towards you earlier.
You are adamant, in holding to your conjectures and suppositions as if they were Truth, while
dismissing or ignoring responses that are rooted in scriptures that you did not address in your
first posts. The criticism may have seemed unloving, but that is just an excuse to ignore rather than consider what is being said and making it constructive. In short, your threads are mostly intractable,
and if anyone is like me, they only respond for other readers, knowing full well that you will most likely
be unmoved. I have left your threads, came back the next day, reviewed the entire thread, considered
many of the posts and back and forth then posted a response. If you are on line at the time, your
response is almost instantaneous. Just in case you don't understand what I mean by dismissive.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
As for criticizing: There are certain biblical steps to doing so involving a brother.
I am aware of Matthew 18, and how to approach a brother who has wronged you. I don't
this comes to that level. I was mostly giving you some kickback on the way you annotate your
titles, in response to you mentioning the title/not title on that post. I still feel you are sending
the wrong message with that statement, and it is often reflected in your responses.

I will continue to contend for the faith and preach the Word while you seek to attack me (if that is what you are for doing).
Attack is a bit strong, but does reflect in some measure your response to being criticized.
I like criticism, because it is Biblical. :)
I do respect the way you maintain a congenial tone in response to hostility. Sorry if I came on
too heavy, but I still don't like your title annotation. LOL.

If you still disagree, peace and blessings be unto you in the Lord.
No worries, I don't respond to most threads, because I originate threads daily and that keeps me busy. You are always welcome to come on them and contribute.

Peace and blessings to you also.
James

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
full

@Minister Monardo

Thanks for the friendly like (even we may disagree on the topic involving Scripture).

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Attack is a bit strong, but does reflect in some measure your response to being criticized.
I like criticism, because it is Biblical. :)
I do respect the way you maintain a congenial tone in response to hostility. Sorry if I came on
too heavy, but I still don't like your title annotation. LOL
I consider verbal attacks against my character that are not founded upon any kind of truth as not being kind and loving in Christ and seeking to discuss the truth of God's Word. Again, put yourself in my shoes. Think about the golden rule in doing unto others as you want done unto yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is only one baptism that places us into the body of Christ and that is Spirit baptism and not water baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 - one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is only one baptism that places us into the body of Christ and that is Spirit baptism and not water baptism.

Ephesians 4:5 - one Lord, one faith, one baptism.

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free--and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

Amen, brother. While we may not agree on other things, I agree with you that we are not intiially or foundationally saved by doing any kind of ritual like work. We are saved by God's grace through faith without the deeds of the Law.

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And yet, there is still only “one baptism” according to Ephesians 4:5.

So which baptism is it? Which baptism truly matters? Water baptism? Spirit baptism? The baptism of the Israelites into Moses through the red sea? The choice is yours to decide by searching the Scriptures with God's help.
The Holy Spirit baptism John the Baptist mentioned was very limited and was the gift of some miraculous powers including speaking in tongues and not the indwelling Holy Spirit, which all Christians receive. The Christians in Ephesus would have all accepted water baptism and would have recognized that baptism as being what Paul was talking about and not the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
To say Paul was referring to the Holy Spirit Baptism would mean no one in Ephesus was water baptized.
People like to refer to Paul saying: “For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.” Yet Paul does go on to talk about baptizing some people they knew in Corinth and Paul said this in the context of the Christians in Corinth dividing into groups depending on who baptized them, so he was glad he did not baptize many of them (to form another group).

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point is that there are believers who hold to the view that if one is not water baptized, they are not saved. This is unbiblical from my understanding of the Scriptures (But I can understand how they can come away with this conclusion when they read Mark 1:4, and Acts of the Apostles 2:38). But I simply find it to be unbiblical because that would mean we are not saved initially and foundationally by God's grace without the deeds of the Law (Ephesians 2:8-9) (Romans 4:3-5) (Titus 3:5), but we are saved by partaking in a ritualistic work. For Paul argued against those who thought they had to be circumcised in order to be saved (Galatians 5:2). This false belief was also addressed at the Jerusalem council (Please read: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Acts of the Apostles 15:5, and Acts of the Apostles 15:24). So if a ritual like “circumcision” does not save, then surely baptism (which is also a ritual) does not save.
I said first off "Baptism does not save anyone"! I went on to show the good that can come to a person who is baptized to help them and those around them as a witness. At church this month we are going to baptize a Chinese person from communist China and we said we could just do it in a swimming pool if he wanted and he said, "no"! He wanted it filmed to send back home to his friends and family and if they saw him being baptized in a swimming pool they would think he was just joking around and not making a real commitment to Christ. He wanted them to know he had become a Christian and was not just kidding around (they knew only, how he had been).

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
How does this baptism fit into the overall topic at hand?
1 Corinthians 15:29 Otherwise, what will they do who are baptized for the dead, if the dead
do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead?
I am asking because I don't know, but I am not interested in speculation.
If anyone has received something from the Lord after praying about this verse, please share.
I am seeking a better understanding, and if I receive something, I will present then.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
A closer look: Acts 19:
And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through
the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples
2 he said to them, Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?
So they said to him, We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.
3 And he said to them, Into what then were you baptized?
So they said, Into John’s baptism.
4 Then Paul said, John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people
that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke
with tongues and prophesied.
7 Now the men were about twelve in all.

Paul learns that they had only been baptized in John, and had not even heard of the Holy Spirit.
Paul then baptizes them all again in the name of Christ Jesus. verse 5. If I could make an
assumption here, since verse 7 states there were 12 men, they were baptized one by one.
Verse 6 now says that after they were baptized, Paul laid hands on them, and they received
the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues and prophesying. Am I reading this correctly? Laying on
of hands must not be a requirement since in Acts 10, the Spirit fell while Peter was preaching.
It would be necessary to baptize someone in water.

Acts 10:
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

They who had not already been water baptized, were baptized after.
Then Peter answered,
47 Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit
just as we have?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay
a few days.
So correct me if I am wrong, the OP is saying that all these events are evidence that the apostles
were confused about baptism? Water baptisms were a misunderstanding and
unnecessary?
Galatians 2:
1 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and also took
Titus with me.
2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated to them that gospel which I preach among
the Gentiles, but privately to those who were of reputation, lest by any means I might run, or
had run,
in vain.
Paul and Barnabas went to Jerusalem in Acts 15. This is 14 years after his conversion.
Acts 18 He spends 18 months at Corinth, where they are still water baptizing.
Acts 19 Paul baptizes 12 men in the name of Christ Jesus at Ephesus.
This is why I just can't accept this premise, which is central to your argument.
All this because
in Ephesians 4, Paul uses the term one baptism, thus you seem determined
to eliminate one to accommodate your understanding of that one verse, right?
Ephesians 4:5 is what this exercise is all about, and in context, Paul is talking about the unity
of all believers in one baptism, one body and one Spirit.
Water baptism may not be relevant to what Paul is referring to in Ephesians 4, but

it is clearly a part of the testimony in the NT.
So very unconvincing, but it did result in me spending the day reviewing baptism, filling with the
Spirit, and other verses such as the earnest of the Spirit, so it
all works to the good.
I just don't understand why you feel that you are receiving revelation by the Anointing and
teaching things that are so contradictory. The easiest path would seem to be:

Mark 1:8 I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
But if it was that easy, why all the apostolic confusion you are proposing?
One last question. In all honesty, does this teaching already exist in someone's doctrine, or
did I understand you correctly that you received this knowledge as a part of your own growth
in the Lord, i.e. this came to you by way of revelation from the Spirit? (For the record, I do
believe the Spirit speaks to us, for edification, exhortation, correction, etc...) In other words,
is there a book or teaching that already has laid out this theory?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A closer look: Acts 19:
And it happened, while Apollos was at Corinth, that Paul, having passed through
the upper regions, came to Ephesus. And finding some disciples
2 he said to them, Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?
So they said to him, We have not so much as heard whether there is a Holy Spirit.
3 And he said to them, Into what then were you baptized?
So they said, Into John’s baptism.
4 Then Paul said, John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance, saying to the people
that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
And when Paul had laid hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke
with tongues and prophesied.
7 Now the men were about twelve in all.

Paul learns that they had only been baptized in John, and had not even heard of the Holy Spirit.
Paul then baptizes them all again in the name of Christ Jesus. verse 5. If I could make an
assumption here, since verse 7 states there were 12 men, they were baptized one by one.
Verse 6 now says that after they were baptized, Paul laid hands on them, and they received
the Holy Spirit, speaking in tongues and prophesying. Am I reading this correctly? Laying on
of hands must not be a requirement since in Acts 10, the Spirit fell while Peter was preaching.
It would be necessary to baptize someone in water.

Acts 10:
44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word.
45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

They who had not already been water baptized, were baptized after.
Then Peter answered,
47 Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit
just as we have?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay
a few days.
So correct me if I am wrong, the OP is saying that all these events are evidence that the apostles
were confused about baptism? Water baptisms were a misunderstanding and
unnecessary?
Galatians 2:
1 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and also took
Titus with me.
2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated to them that gospel which I preach among
the Gentiles, but privately to those who were of reputation, lest by any means I might run, or
had run,
in vain.
Paul and Barnabas went to Jerusalem in Acts 15. This is 14 years after his conversion.
Acts 18 He spends 18 months at Corinth, where they are still water baptizing.
Acts 19 Paul baptizes 12 men in the name of Christ Jesus at Ephesus.
This is why I just can't accept this premise, which is central to your argument.
All this because
in Ephesians 4, Paul uses the term one baptism, thus you seem determined
to eliminate one to accommodate your understanding of that one verse, right?
Ephesians 4:5 is what this exercise is all about, and in context, Paul is talking about the unity
of all believers in one baptism, one body and one Spirit.
Water baptism may not be relevant to what Paul is referring to in Ephesians 4, but

it is clearly a part of the testimony in the NT.
So very unconvincing, but it did result in me spending the day reviewing baptism, filling with the
Spirit, and other verses such as the earnest of the Spirit, so it
all works to the good.
I just don't understand why you feel that you are receiving revelation by the Anointing and
teaching things that are so contradictory. The easiest path would seem to be:

Mark 1:8 I indeed baptized you with water, but He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.
But if it was that easy, why all the apostolic confusion you are proposing?
One last question. In all honesty, does this teaching already exist in someone's doctrine, or
did I understand you correctly that you received this knowledge as a part of your own growth
in the Lord, i.e. this came to you by way of revelation from the Spirit? (For the record, I do
believe the Spirit speaks to us, for edification, exhortation, correction, etc...) In other words,
is there a book or teaching that already has laid out this theory?

The ministry of Jesus was about three years and the disciples misunderstood Jesus on plenty of occasions. Even after the cross, they made mistakes. Peter was rebuked by Paul for trying to get the Gentiles to live as the Jews do (Galatians 2:11-21). The elders had pressured Paul to go back to the Old Law in getting him to partake in an OT ritual that involved an animal sacrifice (See Acts of the Apostles 21:17-27)

Upvote 0