USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
and nothing that indicates otherwise. I did offer Heb 6 and 10 for your perusal, where they clearly show we can and do fall into apostasy.
I agree that believers can and do fall into apostasy. And neither "things present, nor things future" (like falling into apostasy) will separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yea - I'm not buying this - sorry.
Good, cuz I'm not selling. I am, otoh, explaining how sozo is used.

Deliverance and rescue have the same relevance as salvation. Sorry - you are reaching here.
Relevance?? Context determines the meaning of a word. Not relevance.

Sozo occurs twice in Acts 27, and obviously refers to physical or temporal deliverance or rescue. Which is the basic meaning of the word anyway. When heaven is in view, THEN sozo refers to eternal salvation.

But you don't have to buy it, because I'm not selling it.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
I agree that believers can and do fall into apostasy. And neither "things present, nor things future" (like falling into apostasy) will separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Again, NOT in the context. Paul is referring to exterior forces to us. Forces that are bound and determined to separate us from God's love. The same forces that want to condemn us as verse 1 would indicate. This is the context here in Romans 8.
Paul also deals with others things that can take us away from Jesus in other scriptures.
Gal 5:4 and 1 Tim 1:6 as examples. In both cases these people had 'fallen away' from Jesus.
I see you had no comment for Heb 6:4-6 or 10:38-39 either.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
The New Testament is replete with scriptures attesting to the possibility of apostasy. In 1 Cor. 10: 12, Paul said, “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” In verses 1-11, Paul had been using the history of apostatizing Israel to warn the Christians not to do likewise. This Corinthian letter was addressed to “the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints.” (I Cor. 1:2) Calvinism denies that these Corinthians would not and could not “fall", yet Paul warns them, to take precautions against falling! Calvinism would make Paul as foolish as I would be if I were to say, “Don’t drive a car, lest ye become seasick.”
The same apostle Paul said, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith.” (I Tim. 4: 1) One cannot depart from any place, unless he was once there. To affirm that some departed from the faith necessarily implies they were once in the faith. Calvinism, however, denies the possibility of apostasy.​

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Good, cuz I'm not selling. I am, otoh, explaining how sozo is used.

Relevance?? Context determines the meaning of a word. Not relevance.

Sozo occurs twice in Acts 27, and obviously refers to physical or temporal deliverance or rescue. Which is the basic meaning of the word anyway. When heaven is in view, THEN sozo refers to eternal salvation.

But you don't have to buy it, because I'm not selling it.

Okay - your not selling it. Got it. Good thing because it's a stretch to say the least. Clearly James 2 is describing saving faith - which is accompanied by fruit. Faith without fruit doesn't save. Period.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

There is no scripture that would substantiate this statement. You have added to Romans 8 with you parenthetical comment. The statement was made to genuine believers - not apostates.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Again, NOT in the context. Paul is referring to exterior forces to us. Forces that are bound and determined to separate us from God's love. The same forces that want to condemn us as verse 1 would indicate. This is the context here in Romans 8.
First, 8:1 only states that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Nothing about any "forces" that want to separate us from God's love.

Second, I understand your view about outside forces. However, just as Jn 10:28 also includes ourselves as to who cannot snatch us from God's hand, I believe there is no reason in Rom 8 to exclude anything that occurs either in the present or in the future regarding what can separate us from God's love.

Paul also deals with others things that can take us away from Jesus in other scriptures.
Gal 5:4 and 1 Tim 1:6 as examples. In both cases these people had 'fallen away' from Jesus.
Interesting that you cite these 2 verses. In Gal 5:4, it was the people themselves who were alienated from Christ by trying to be justified by law, and had fallen from grace. Maybe we understand the phrase "fallen from grace" differently. I view it as personal choices that result in loss of fellowship, and under God's hand of discipline, not loss of salvation.

And 1 Tim is full of examples of people who have turned away, yet nothing from Paul as to their loss of salvation.

I think this is the bottom line: where are there any clear verses that plainly tell us that one's salvation can be lost, forfeited, etc? Just as I cannot find any clear verses that Christ didn't die for everyone, or that He died only for the elect, I cannot find any clear verses that one can lose salvation.

otoh, there are plenty of verses that clearly indicate that Christ died for everyone, just as there are clear verses that one's salvation is secure.

I see you had no comment for Heb 6:4-6 or 10:38-39 either.
Sorry. Heb 6 deals with believers who have returned to sacrifice in order to avoid being persecuted by Jews. But I don't find anything there about loss of salvation.

10:38-39 clearly indicates that a believer may "shrink back", meaning not living by faith, and that God will not be pleased with him. But again, nothing that indicates loss of salvation.

God is always displeased when His children sin or disobey. And Heb 12 deals with that issue clearly; discipline which can be quite severe. And 10:30-31 also deals with God's hand of discipline clearly.

What all these verses indicate is that when a believer gets into sin, or even fails to live by faith, they come under God's hand of discipline. But none of the warning passages indicate loss of salvation.

If OSAS were wrong, what specifically causes loss of salvation for the believer?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The New Testament is replete with scriptures attesting to the possibility of apostasy. In 1 Cor. 10: 12, Paul said, “Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.” In verses 1-11, Paul had been using the history of apostatizing Israel to warn the Christians not to do likewise. This Corinthian letter was addressed to “the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints.” (I Cor. 1:2) Calvinism denies that these Corinthians would not and could not “fall", yet Paul warns them, to take precautions against falling! Calvinism would make Paul as foolish as I would be if I were to say, “Don’t drive a car, lest ye become seasick.”
The same apostle Paul said, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith.” (I Tim. 4: 1) One cannot depart from any place, unless he was once there. To affirm that some departed from the faith necessarily implies they were once in the faith. Calvinism, however, denies the possibility of apostasy.​
In addition, Calvinism completely removes the very meaning of apostasy. My dictionary says apostasy is when one no longer believes what they used to believe. If a true believer cannot apostatize, then the word has no meaning.

Jesus spoke of apostatizing in Luke 8:13 regarding the second soil, who "believed for a while, but in time of testing, fell away". It couldn't be any more clear. Their faith ceased due to testing.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay - your not selling it. Got it. Good thing because it's a stretch to say the least. Clearly James 2 is describing saving faith - which is accompanied by fruit. Faith without fruit doesn't save. Period.
James in NO WAY meant what you think he did.

And your period is about as valid as when our president promised that those who liked their health insurance and doctors could keep their health insurance and doctors, period.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There is no scripture that would substantiate this statement. You have added to Romans 8 with you parenthetical comment. The statement was made to genuine believers - not apostates.
I added nothing, but gave an example. What do you suppose is meant by "things future"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
First, 8:1 only states that there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. Nothing about any "forces" that want to separate us from God's love.

Who would be condemning? Obviously forces.

Second, I understand your view about outside forces. However, just as Jn 10:28 also includes ourselves as to who cannot snatch us from God's hand, I believe there is no reason in Rom 8 to exclude anything that occurs either in the present or in the future regarding what can separate us from God's love.

Sadly, you read that into the text. I understand your 'belief', but it does not stand up to exegetical scrutiny. John 10 also refers to outside forces, NOT the sheep themselves. "No one will snatch them". Security always has to do with outside forces. You don't secure something against your own intervention. That is an oxymoronic assertion.

Interesting that you cite these 2 verses. In Gal 5:4, it was the people themselves who were alienated from Christ by trying to be justified by law, and had fallen from grace. Maybe we understand the phrase "fallen from grace" differently. I view it as personal choices that result in loss of fellowship, and under God's hand of discipline, not loss of salvation.

Or where about to. Paul opens with; It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. They were saved ,but ran the risk of rejecting the grace God had supplied for the law which they renounced in following Jesus. If you're a slave to sin you can't be free in Christ.
You may view it this way but it is NOT what is being conveyed. If we are saved because of God's grace then falling AWAY or leaving that grace is rejecting Christ. If we reject Christ we are no longer saved.

And 1 Tim is full of examples of people who have turned away, yet nothing from Paul as to their loss of salvation.

Well I guess you haven't read verse 19 then, but this is type of response only avoids the scripture I supplied and does NOT deal with the issue at hand.

I think this is the bottom line: where are there any clear verses that plainly tell us that one's salvation can be lost, forfeited, etc? Just as I cannot find any clear verses that Christ didn't die for everyone, or that He died only for the elect, I cannot find any clear verses that one can lose salvation.
otoh, there are plenty of verses that clearly indicate that Christ died for everyone, just as there are clear verses that one's salvation is secure.

This is a doctrinal assertion for which you supply no scripture. It is opining in it's truest form, but we are here to accept God's word about this issue, not men's opinion. I have supplied scripture about Christ dying for all.

2 Cor 5:13-14
For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
1 Pet 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

Sorry. Heb 6 deals with believers who have returned to sacrifice in order to avoid being persecuted by Jews. But I don't find anything there about loss of salvation.

Heb 6 is about moving on to a more mature walk with Christ. I have no idea where you get your POV.
Therefore let us move beyond the elementary teachings about Christ and be taken forward to maturity, not laying again the foundation of repentance from acts that lead to death, and of faith in God, instruction about cleansing rites, the laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment.
Clearly v4-6 depict real committed Christians;
It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age and who have fallen away, to be brought back to repentance. To their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace.
10:3839 clearly indicates that a believer may "shrink back", meaning not living by faith, and that God will not be pleased with him. But again, nothing that indicates loss of salvation.

Then you are ignoring verse 39 which clearly states;
But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.
Shrinking back clearly equates to no longer being saved. In fact Luke says DESTROYED.

God is always displeased when His children sin or disobey. And Heb 12 deals with that issue clearly; discipline which can be quite severe. And 10:30-31 also deals with God's hand of discipline clearly.

We're not dealing with Heb 12 here so please focus on the issue at hand. V30-31 is about those who knowingly reject the Son's sacrifice as v29 shows;
How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
This is about those that reject their confession of Christ. Sadly you are eisegeting instead of exegeting. Please look carefully at the scripture itself, without your dogmatic filters.

What all these verses indicate is that when a believer gets into sin, or even fails to live by faith, they come under God's hand of discipline. But none of the warning passages indicate loss of salvation.

Again you are ONLY arriving at this through your Calvinistic POV and not proper hermeneutical exegesis of the scripture. Clearly as the scripture in Heb 6 and 10 IS dealing with saved people, then falling away is falling away from salvation. The warning is not about being a lazy Christian, it's about being a mature and committed Christina who does NOT fall away.

If OSAS were wrong, what specifically causes loss of salvation for the believer?

Many things can contribute or lead up to apostasy, and the NT warns us in many places about it and avoiding it.

2 Thess 2:3
Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.
Clearly, apostasy equates to destruction, not OSAS.

Upvote 0

stan1953

Mar 23, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
✟3,901.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Liberals
In addition, Calvinism completely removes the very meaning of apostasy. My dictionary says apostasy is when one no longer believes what they used to believe. If a true believer cannot apostatize, then the word has no meaning.

Jesus spoke of apostatizing in Luke 8:13 regarding the second soil, who "believed for a while, but in time of testing, fell away". It couldn't be any more clear. Their faith ceased due to testing.

and yet the word does have meaning and is used MANY times in the NT. Are you asserting God was wasting His time in warning us about it if Christian's can't walk or fall away from their salvation?

Yes Luke 8:13 shows they were saved and then they fell away.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
James in NO WAY meant what you think he did.

And your period is about as valid as when our president promised that those who liked their health insurance and doctors could keep their health insurance and doctors, period.

You haven't proven your assertion.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I added nothing, but gave an example. What do you suppose is meant by "things future"?

Doesn't matter - the statement wasn't made to or about apostates. It was made to genuine believers who were not apostate. See Romans 15:14

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who would be condemning? Obviously forces.
No, there is nothing in 8:1 about "forces". Only One can condemn, and that is God. And 8:1 promises that God will not condemn those who are in Christ.

Sadly, you read that into the text. I understand your 'belief', but it does not stand up to exegetical scrutiny. John 10 also refers to outside forces, NOT the sheep themselves. "No one will snatch them". Security always has to do with outside forces. You don't secure something against your own intervention. That is an oxymoronic assertion.
The beauty of God's promises is that even we can't screw up our salvation. That is the point. But you seem to have a different opinion on that.

You may view it this way but it is NOT what is being conveyed. If we are saved because of God's grace then falling AWAY or leaving that grace is rejecting Christ. If we reject Christ we are no longer saved.
What verse informed you of that?

This is a doctrinal assertion for which you supply no scripture. It is opining in it's truest form, but we are here to accept God's word about this issue, not men's opinion. I have supplied scripture about Christ dying for all.
Huh? Of course Christ died for all. :confused:

2 Cor 5:13-14
For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.
1 Pet 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.
Yep. He died for all.

Heb 6 is about moving on to a more mature walk with Christ. I have no idea where you get your POV.
I agree, and have no idea why you say what you do.

Then you are ignoring verse 39 which clearly states;
But we do not belong to those who shrink back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.
Shrinking back clearly equates to no longer being saved. In fact Luke says DESTROYED.
Let's not involve Luke in what the author of Hebrews wrote. And v.38 clearly indicates that the "righteous one" who shrinks back displeases the Lord. Nothing about loss of salvation. And shrinking back is not equated with loss of salvation. That would be an opinion.

We're not dealing with Heb 12 here so please focus on the issue at hand. V30-31 is about those who knowingly reject the Son's sacrifice as v29 shows;
How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
This is about those that reject their confession of Christ. Sadly you are eisegeting instead of exegeting. Please look carefully at the scripture itself, without your dogmatic filters.
Nothing there that says loss of salvation. It is a warning about God's severe hand of discipline in the here and now.

Again you are ONLY arriving at this through your Calvinistic POV and not proper hermeneutical exegesis of the scripture. Clearly as the scripture in Heb 6 and 10 IS dealing with saved people, then falling away is falling away from salvation.
First, I'm neither a Calvinist, nor an Arminian. Second, yes, real believers can fall away, and that refers specifically to loss of faith, as Jesus clearly noted in Luke 8:13. Yet, He never said or even insinuated that loss of faith results in loss of salvation.

The warning is not about being a lazy Christian, it's about being a mature and committed Christina who does NOT fall away.
Why would God need to warn a mature and committed Christian who hasn't fallen away? :confused:

Many things can contribute or lead up to apostasy, and the NT warns us in many places about it and avoiding it.
Agreed. And there is NO verse that teaches loss of salvation.

2 Thess 2:3
Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction.
Clearly, apostasy equates to destruction, not OSAS.[/QUOTE]
Why do you equate apostasy with "not OSAS"?

What you cannot demonstrate from Scripture is the logical consequences of loss of salvation. When one believes and is saved, and given eternal life, what verses say or suggest that the gift of eternal life is removed? Further, if eternal really means eternal, then it cannot be taken away.

Second, God regenerates the believer, and he becomes a new creation. What verse teaches or insinuates that an apostate believer (no longer believes) reverts back to the "old creature"? There aren't any.

Third, what verse teaches or insinuates that the apostate believer ceases to be a child of God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

and yet the word does have meaning and is used MANY times in the NT. Are you asserting God was wasting His time in warning us about it if Christian's can't walk or fall away from their salvation?
Why in the world do you think that I don't believe that true believers can walk or fall away?? Of course they can. But, where is the support for the notion that they lose salvation?

Yes Luke 8:13 shows they were saved and then they fell away.
The problem is that you equate "fall away" with loss of salvation. Which is wrong.

Consider Luke 8:13. Jesus said, "they belived for a while, and in time of testing fell away". He was describing their loss of faith, NOT their loss of salvation. There is NO reason to equate "fall away" with loss of salvation.

Falling away from the faith is to quit believing.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
James 2:18.

One cannot demonstrate their faith apart from deeds. It has nothing to do with a "real saving faith" vs a false non-saving faith.

I'm not comfortable with that interpretation in light of vs 14 which indicates otherwise.

Upvote 0