Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
✟54,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Sybaris said:
I'm not mixed with anything. Both of my parents were born in the U.S..

:scratch:

I was just reading through this whole thread...that struck me as weird. Does that mean that person is nothing? At all?

I think he must think that American is a ethnicity or something...

odd...

Upvote 0

Nahienga

E nomina Frida, et Maja, et IKEA sacra. Dixi.
Nov 11, 2005
In your hat
✟2,607.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
In Relationship
sethad said:
:scratch:

I was just reading through this whole thread...that struck me as weird. Does that mean that person is nothing? At all?

I think he must think that American is a ethnicity or something...

odd...

Doesn't mean anything to me. But it's nice to know where you originate from. =)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Redguard

Make It So, Number One!
Oct 20, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
✟36,460.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Liberals
Birdy_for_Christ said:
I'm about 75% Scottish along with a mix of German, English, British, and Cherokee Indian.:)

Dumb question, but what's the difference between English and British... genetically speaking.

Upvote 0

sethad

I'm not [senDing sublimInal messagEs!]
Jun 15, 2005
Visit site
✟54,022.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Redguard said:
Dumb question, but what's the difference between English and British... genetically speaking.

:scratch: I'd like to know that too.

It might be like the guy earlier who said that he wasnt mixed with anything he was born in America :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlandOatmeal

Jan 13, 2006
Oregon, ИSA
✟2,769.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Redguard said:
Hi, Redguard.

You brought up a good point. These terms "English", "British", "German", what have you are starting to get blurred in meaning. I think Americans, on the whole, are more aware of their ancestral roots than anyone in the world. This is because the early settlers, particularly in New England, were mostly literate, middle-class members of religious groups who

1. honestly believed that we are all created in God's image. The rest of the world tended to look at humanity as a small group of "nobles", who had "value", surrounded by a teeming horde of nameless, valueless droids.

2. encouraged literacy, as a means of reading the Bible and learning the basics of life -- both here and after death.

3. kept track of family vital statistics, carefully recording them in the family Bibles.

4. because they had their own land (a rarity in Europe and elsewhere), usually left wills with detailed descriptions of relationships between family members.

One odd outgrowth of this deep connection between Americans and their ancestors, is that we often go so far back, the "nationalities" of today don't correspond with those of our earlier ancestors!

For instance, when my forefather Hendrick Jochemszoon came to New Netherlands (now New York) as a soldier in the Dutch Army, his birthplace of Hamburg was not part of "Germany", as it is today, but was the "Free Hanseatic City of Hamburg". Germany did not exist as a political entity. It was part of the "Holy Roman Empire", along with what are now Austria, Switzerland, the Czech Republic and other areas. Even the Netherlands, his adopted country, and Switzerland, were not recognized as independent by everyone until 1648. They, along with the Austrians, Czechs, etc. were all called "Dutch" over here.

As for the English and British, when my ancestors came here, England and Scotland were separate, independent countries, linked only by the fact that the King of England was also, by genealogical coincidence, the King of Scotland. The Mayflower colonists did not fly the "Union Jack" which you now might recognize as the British flag. They flew the red-and-white "Crusaders' cross" flag of England, while the Scots flew the blue and white "cross of St. Andrew" "X" flag. Only later on were they merged into one flag, and it wasn't until after we had achieved independence, I believe, that the Union Jack took on its current form -- incorporating yet another cross, to stand for Ireland.

Genetically, of course, the "nationalities" don't follow lines such as "Dutch" or "English" or "British". Our genes go back thousands of years, with much mixing along the way. My paternal line, the one going back to Hamburg, has the genes of the earliest inhabitants of Western Europe, akin to the modern Basques of Spain and France. I was surprized, therefore to find that the "closest matches" to my father's genes were individuals who were

1. African American
2. Greenland Eskimo (Danish admixture), and
3. English Colonial, presumed French.

Other close matches were Scottish, Irish, Shetland Islanders, English and folks as far away as Italy -- but few Germans!

Upvote 0