Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sounds vaguely familiar. I'll be honest, lately I have been tuning out during my Fraiser binges.
There was a Frasier scene where they were singing the Major-General's Song and the dad didn't know the song and he misheard "the square of the hypotenuse" as "the scary hippopotamus" and he sang that. It was a little funny.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
On the other hand, it also encourages people to think about their vote. There is also a major effort by our (non-political) Electoral Commissions to make sure that everyone has easy access to voting without queueing for hours. We don't try to discourage voters.
How does it encourage people to think?
Incidentally - gerrymandering is virtually unknown here - politicians are not involved in drawing up electorate boundaries .
I agree with you there. The gerrymandering we do here is ridiculous.
We don't press buttons. Voters fill out ballots manually and all counting is manual. There are no 'voting machines' in Australia. In spite of this unofficial results are usually available by 10pm (or earlier) on the day of the vote.

Throw in ranked preferential (ranked choice) voting and you'll find we have a very different approach to voting compared to the US.

OB
I know you don't press buttons, that was just a figure of speech. But I admire that a lot. I've long said we should go back to manual voting here.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
How does it encourage people to think?
If voting is compulsory you're far more likely to think about it since you don't have the option of ignoring the political process. It also means that political parties don't need to waste effort and money on getting their followers out to vote.
I know you don't press buttons, that was just a figure of speech. But I admire that a lot. I've long said we should go back to manual voting here.
Counting is manual and highly decentralised. Votes are counted at each voting place. There is no risk of interfering with the results by hacking or technical problems etc.

OB

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Counting is manual and highly decentralised. Votes are counted at each voting place. There is no risk of interfering with the results by hacking or technical problems etc.
Yeah, hacking is a big concern, but even before digital technology, when I was young they used these really big, heavy voting machines where you pulled levers. They had to be transported to polling places by trucks. The local politics are largely controlled by Democrats, and wouldn't you know it, the trucks would frequently break down when heading towards majority Republican polling sites, so the voting would take place half a day late and many people did not get to vote. I'm not saying Democrats are cheaters, I'm just sayin'.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Phone battery already dying. Not too surprising.. this time around I went with a cheap smartphone. My last phone lasted like 7 years. This one.. About a year and a half to 2 years.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Not really that cold, compared to parts of America. We've got overnight lows of about 8 degrees Celsius just now (about 45 degrees Fahrenheit). In midwinter we'll get temperatures around freezing, and heavy frosts. But that's enough to make me not keen to get out of bed in the morning!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,679,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not really that cold, compared to parts of America. We've got overnight lows of about 8 degrees Celsius just now (about 45 degrees Fahrenheit). In midwinter we'll get temperatures around freezing, and heavy frosts. But that's enough to make me not keen to get out of bed in the morning!
Well you are so used to those warm temps, I imagine it does feel very cold to you.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,169.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well you are so used to those warm temps, I imagine it does feel very cold to you.
I love the warmth, and find the cold physically painful. But that's a personal thing; my husband is enjoying it being cooler!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Phone battery already dying. Not too surprising.. this time around I went with a cheap smartphone. My last phone lasted like 7 years. This one.. About a year and a half to 2 years.
Me too

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I hope you're right man..

I've even had to break out the winter coat.. anything about 10 degrees is jacket weather for me. I hate walking around with a bulky coat.
You could live here. It's already 100.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If voting is compulsory you're far more likely to think about it since you don't have the option of ignoring the political process. It also means that political parties don't need to waste effort and money on getting their followers out to vote.
Ah, no. You can force someone to cast a ballot but not to take an interest in the process. Someone who otherwise wouldn't vote will simply choose candidates based on name recognition or based on placement on the ballot. The former is why you see the most campaign signs just before voting day on roads voters are most likely to travel to the poll. The latter is why name placement on ballots have come up before.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟354,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
My list is greater, put screws in cart so i can take the garbage out. Find someone to turn the water off on the cooler. Figure out how to do dishes without water. Wash more clothes. Get the clog out of the vacuum hose. Feed the cats but it's too hot. A Yard FULL OF WEEDS. and the list goes on.

Upvote 0