planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know they are able to see in the spirit..and I think a seer is also a prophet?
But a seer sees while the other kind of prophet hears with their ears..

I think the Hebrew is raa’sh ?
I know the other one is Nabiy I think..

What is a seer ? Can anyone describe what a seer is ?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I know they are able to see in the spirit..and I think a seer is also a prophet?
But a seer sees while the other kind of prophet hears with their ears..

I think the Hebrew is raa’sh ?
I know the other one is Nabiy I think..

What is a seer ? Can anyone describe what a seer is ?
I can't find any definition of a seer in the New Testament.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I’m talking about in the OT men of God who were seers such as Asaph and I think Samuel too.
The only seers I know about are in the occult. You might need to show any OT references that define any of these men as seers.

Upvote 0

t4inted-

part of Gods flock :)
Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only seers I know about are in the occult. You might need to show any OT references that define any of these men as seers.

here’s for Samuel stating he was a seer

“(Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)”
‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭9:9‬ ‭

“And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am the seer: go up before me unto the high place; for ye shall eat with me to day, and to morrow I will let thee go, and will tell thee all that is in thine heart.”
‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭9:19‬ ‭

Upvote 0

t4inted-

Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Heres Asaph too

“Moreover Hezekiah the king and the princes commanded the Levites to sing praise unto the Lord with the words of David, and of Asaph the seer. And they sang praises with gladness, and they bowed their heads and worshipped.”
‭‭2 Chronicles‬ ‭29:30‬ ‭

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
here’s for Samuel stating he was a seer

“(Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)”
‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭9:9‬ ‭

“And Samuel answered Saul, and said, I am the seer: go up before me unto the high place; for ye shall eat with me to day, and to morrow I will let thee go, and will tell thee all that is in thine heart.”
‭‭1 Samuel‬ ‭9:19‬ ‭
OK. It seems that Samuel and Asaph were the only ones identified that way, and it also seems that the definition changed to Prophet. I fail to see how this can apply to New Covenant believers, because they don't need a seer or a prophet to show them the will of God, because they have the indwelling Holy Spirit. That is why the New Testament Scripture says that believers don't need any man to teach them the ways and will of God, but that the indwelling anointing of the Holy Spirit will perform that function.

Reactions: t4inted-
Upvote 0

t4inted-

Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK. It seems that Samuel and Asaph were the only ones identified that way, and it also seems that the definition changed to Prophet. I fail to see how this can apply to New Covenant believers, because they don't need a seer or a prophet to show them the will of God, because they have the indwelling Holy Spirit. That is why the New Testament Scripture says that believers don't need any man to teach them the ways and will of God, but that the indwelling anointing of the Holy Spirit will perform that function.

True but I’m not enquiring to see a prophet or a seer..

just wanted to know if anyone is able to describe what a seer is ?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
True but I’m not enquiring to see a prophet or a seer..

just wanted to know if anyone is able to describe what a seer is ?
In the OT, a seer is a person who was in a close relationship with God and who was able to see things as the Holy Spirit came upon him. It was not an intrinsic gift that the person had. It functioned only when the Holy Spirit empowered him. Elisha was empowered by the same Holy Spirit which caused the Syrian king to say that Elisha knew things that were disclosed in the king's bedroom!

But there is no such ministry in the New Testament church. Anyone claiming that ministry is either false and pretending, or is functioning under the power of an occult familiar spirit.

• Informative
Reactions: t4inted-
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@ablacksheep ,

Peter in the Book of Acts (New Testament) was quoting the prophet, Joel (Old Testament), when he said,

“And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams." Acts of the Apostles 2:17 < Joel 2:28 NKJV

Seers are people who see such visions. They (and similar dreamers) are found in both Testaments.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
@ablacksheep ,

Peter in the Book of Acts (New Testament) was quoting the prophet, Joel (Old Testament), when he said,

“And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams." Acts of the Apostles 2:17 < Joel 2:28 NKJV

Seers are people who see such visions. They (and similar dreamers) are found in both Testaments.
All genuine Christian believers have the indwelling Holy Spirit to teach them all they know. They don't need a seer. If a person turns to a seer to find the will of God for them, they are sidelining the Holy Spirit and insulting Him. It is equivalent to Saul consulting with a witch to raise up Samuel to find out whether he is going to win the battle or not.

I believe that consulting a seer to find the will of God is replacing trust in the indwelling Holy Spirit with trusting in man, and puts the person on the road to hell.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They don't need a seer. If a person turns to a seer to find the will of God for them, they are sidelining the Holy Spirit and insulting Him.
If you believe that a seer cannot be a valid Holy Spirit ministry, you will have to tear my previously quoted verses out of your Bible. (That will be disappointing.)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If you believe that a seer cannot be a valid Holy Spirit ministry, you will have to tear my previously quoted verses out of your Bible. (That will be disappointing.)
I have said what I have said. A modern "Christian" seer is functioning from an occult familiar demon and any guidance comes from that lying demon and not from the Holy Spirit. I have warned you, and that is all I can do.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am rather looking forward to when God pours out His "Spirit on all flesh;..."

It is not a good idea to attribute the works of the Spirit to the demonic. I know that there are false prophets out there, but Joel & Peter are talking about the "real deal."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am rather looking forward to when God pours out His "Spirit on all flesh;..."

It is not a good idea to declare the works of the Spirit to be demonic. I know that there are false prophets out there, but Joel & Peter are talking about the "real deal."
But it is not the work of the Spirit at all. It is not a ministry mentioned in the New Testament and it is contrary to Hebrews 1:1-2: "In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, But in these last days He has spoken to us by His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, and through whom He made the universe.…"

According to the above Scripture, in these last days, God speaks through Jesus, and Jesus speaks through the indwelling Holy Spirit in every believer.

Therefore the ministry of seer is a fraud, contrary to Scripture, and functions from a demonic familiar lying spirit who will turn you away from faith in Christ and cause you to stray from the narrow path to salvation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Therefore the ministry of seer is a fraud, contrary to Scripture, and functions from a demonic familiar lying spirit who will turn you away from faith in Christ and cause you to stray from the narrow path to salvation.
So, are you saying that God will NOT pour out His Spirit on all flesh such that "young men shall see visions and old men will dream dreams...?"

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All genuine Christian believers have the indwelling Holy Spirit to teach them all they know. They don't need a seer. If a person turns to a seer to find the will of God for them, they are sidelining the Holy Spirit and insulting Him. It is equivalent to Saul consulting with a witch to raise up Samuel to find out whether he is going to win the battle or not.

I believe that consulting a seer to find the will of God is replacing trust in the indwelling Holy Spirit with trusting in man, and puts the person on the road to hell.

A genuine prophet like Samuel was called a seer.

Later they were called prophets.

Prophets are referred to in the New Covenant.

The word seer was also used to reference a close spiritual advisor and I agree that with the Holy Spirit this is no longer needed.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So, are you saying that God will NOT pour out His Spirit on all flesh such that "young men shall see visions and old men will dream dreams...?"
That reference speaks about the work of the indwelling Holy Spirit when believers are baptised with Him. It does not support a man being appointed as a spiritual seer to guide Christians to find the will of God for them in any situation.

Reactions: Ngodap
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,543.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A genuine prophet like Samuel was called a seer.

Later they were called prophets.

Prophets are referred to in the New Covenant.

The word seer was also used to reference a close spiritual advisor and I agree that with the Holy Spirit this is no longer needed.
Hebrews 1:1-2 makes the Christian position very clear. We have the indwelling Holy Spirit to guide us, and He will point us to Jesus. If we bypass the indwelling Holy Spirit and resort to trusting in a man who has appointed himself as a "seer", then we are seeking guidance from someone who is not representing Jesus. Why trust in a mortal man, when you have the voice of the Holy Spirit speaking in your heart and mind to show you what Jesus wants you to do?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.