Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does not support a man being appointed as a spiritual seer to guide Christians to find the will of God for them in any situation.
Nor do I. Seers can/do exist in a different context than what you keep running back to. They and dreamers are just alternate styles of prophets/prophecy just like prophetic tongues is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Would you consider Agabus a seer?

Are we just being caught up in words.
He gave a prophetic word on two recorded occasions, but there is no record that he had any sort of "seer" ministry where anyone went to him to get supernatural guidance. In fact, Paul heard his prophecy about him and went against the pleading of the Ephesian elders who used the prophecy to oppose his intention to go to Jerusalem. Neither Paul nor the elders actually asked Agabus to give his prophecy, but the Holy Spirit inspired him to give it.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes so does this include elders who keep watch over our souls?

Does this include a brother who may have a work of knowledge from God for us?

Does this include a Pastor who may have a genuine word or correction.

Does this include a brother with a prophetic gift bringing a message from Him ??

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Nor do I. Seers can/do exist in a different context than what you keep running back to. They and dreamers are just alternate styles of prophets/prophecy like prophetic tongues is.
I firmly believe in the prophetic. NT prophecy is totally different from OT prophecy. NT prophecy is composed of "love letters" from the Holy Spirit to compliment what the Holy Spirit has already told him. It is for exhortation, comfort and encouragement. It is not for guidance or judgment, and it is always directed to Christ to glorify Him in the heart of the person giving and receiving the prophecy. Some prophecies can contain remarkable words of knowledge and wisdom that can come only from God because of the absolute relevance to the person receiving it. The real impact of a prophetic word is in the receiver rather than the giver.

But every NT prophetic word as to be judged to ensure that it is consistent with Scripture and the nature and character of God, and He never uses the prophetic word to exalt any mortal person, or to imply that the person is going to be successful, famous or wealthy. It is more an expression that shows that Jesus loves the person and knows what the person is going through, and this causes awe and worship to God and the Lordship of Jesus.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes so does this include elders who keep watch over our souls?

Does this include a brother who may have a work of knowledge from God for us?

Does this include a Pastor who may have a genuine word or correction.

Does this include a brother with a prophetic gift bringing a message from Him ??
These things are totally consistent with Scripture. Words of knowledge are usually a confirmation of what the person already knows, but the miracle is that the person giving it doesn't know it before the Holy Spirit revealed it to him. Sometimes words of knowledge are for the person ministering to the other person, and a word of wisdom is needed to find out how to share that word with gentleness and kindness in order that the person is not harmed.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Apostle Peter was functioning as a seer in Acts of the Apostles 10:9-16,

"The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.'

But Peter said, 'Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.'

And a voice spoke to him again the second time, 'What God has cleansed you must not call common.' This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again."

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Or are you saying its OK to get a Word as long as you dont ask for it?
My practice is to ask the Lord for guidance, which allows the Lord to either guide me through Scripture, brotherly correction, preaching from the pulpit, or a prophetic word from someone I know and have confidence in.

My view is that I have to ask for a word, I am actually bypassing the indwelling Holy Spirit and limiting God in how He wants to communicate His word of guidance for me.

I went to an Elim church service last Sunday, and Aimee's friend who attended there had a word for her, and as her father who knows her well, I just knew that his word was very accurate, and my daughter acknowledged it as well. I have been praying for her, and it was her choice to attend the church with me, and this gave the Lord the opportunity to give a prophetic word to her from a Christian brother she knows and respects as a genuine believer who loves the Lord. It was just one small step back to a more stable faith in Jesus for her, although she has a very long way to go yet.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had a prayer partner who is now a pastor.

On a particular day I had a deep conviction that He would have a 'word' for me.

We prayed and he had a vision of a door opening wide that would cut across all my circumstances.

That very night a lady I didn't know much shared she had a word from God that we should marry. That was 35 years ago and 5 children later. An arranged marriage born above.

God still speaks through others in the body and not just direct to us.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Apostle Peter was functioning as a seer in Acts of the Apostles 10:9-16,

"The next day, as they went on their journey and drew near the city, Peter went up on the housetop to pray, about the sixth hour. Then he became very hungry and wanted to eat; but while they made ready, he fell into a trance and saw heaven opened and an object like a great sheet bound at the four corners, descending to him and let down to the earth. In it were all kinds of four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, creeping things, and birds of the air. And a voice came to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill and eat.'

But Peter said, 'Not so, Lord! For I have never eaten anything common or unclean.'

And a voice spoke to him again the second time, 'What God has cleansed you must not call common.' This was done three times. And the object was taken up into heaven again."
I agree. But the prophetic vision was for his own guidance from the Spirit to give him the confidence that he could go to the house of Cornelius to give them the gospel.

I have no difficulty with this type of vision, but what my concern is that there are those who will go to a professing seer to get guidance instead of going to God in prayer and seeking Him and then listening to the inner voice of the Spirit.

Reactions: Ngodap
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
..., but what my concern is that there are those who will go to a professing seer to get guidance instead of going to God in prayer and seeking Him and then listening to the inner voice of the Spirit.
But I can't figure out why that would/should be your default definition of a seer.

To me, a seer is any legitimate prophet to whom God, primarily, grants visions (while they are awake).

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I had a prayer partner who is now a pastor.

On a particular day I had a deep conviction that He would have a 'word' for me.

We prayed and he had a vision of a door opening wide that would cut across all my circumstances.

That very night a lady I didn't know much shared she had a word from God that we should marry. That was 35 years ago and 5 children later. An arranged marriage born above.

God still speaks through others in the body and not just direct to us.
The encouraging aspect of this is that it was initiated by the Holy Spirit. You are a man of prayer and of the Word, and so you are more open to the leading of the Spirit and do not limit God in how He wants to speak to you in any situation. I think you started the process by going to God in prayer in the first place. Am I right or am I right? :)

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The encouraging aspect of this is that it was initiated by the Holy Spirit. You are a man of prayer and of the Word, and so you are more open to the leading of the Spirit and do not limit God in how He wants to speak to you in any situation. I think you started the process by going to God in prayer in the first place. Am I right or am I right? :)

Yes... years of prayer and tears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But I can't figure out why that would/should be your default definition of a seer.
The default definition is the OT one where at a point in Israel's history, people went to a seer for spiritual guidance. When Israel and Judah turned to idol worship, the seers became false prophets of Baal and the prophets of the Lord were a minority after most of them were killed. King Ahab had 400 prophets, but they were all false and the only prophet of the Lord who told the truth was Mikaiah. But there is no equivalent in the New Testament because no Christian believer needs to go to a mortal man for spiritual guidance in that way.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So again I ask should folks take up the role of spiritual directors?
We need mentors and counsellors at times, and they may have prophetic words for us. But we have to be careful. Just remember what happened during the time that demonic discipleship/shepherding movement did so much harm to so many good people and turned hundreds away from the faith.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
I know they are able to see in the spirit..and I think a seer is also a prophet?
But a seer sees while the other kind of prophet hears with their ears..

I think the Hebrew is raa’sh ?
I know the other one is Nabiy I think..

What is a seer ? Can anyone describe what a seer is ?

The apostle John in Revelation could not only hear but see visions. Daniel also.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,060.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well there are folks with wisdom who are sought after to assist those seeking clarification around life's thorny issues.
There are also some who set themselves up to do this and that is where we have a problem....

• Agree
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The apostle John in Revelation could not only hear but see visions. Daniel also.
I agree, but there is no record that they set themselves up as those with a ministry for others to come to for spiritual guidance, and get their "fortune" told.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.