Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Was I talking about the OP's statement or other people in the thread entertaining falsehoods about the subject?

Bro, this thread has gone so far off the rails that I don't even know what we're talking about anymore. All I'm saying is that unless God said "Thou Shalt no longer call a prophet a seer, for a seer is one who relies on the power of evil to see and that is detestable to me." Then I have a hard time believing that the use of the word could affect one's spiritual life. It's not forbidden by any means, it's just not used.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Bro, this thread has gone so far off the rails that I don't even know what we're talking about anymore. All I'm saying is that unless God said "Thou Shalt no longer call a prophet a seer, for a seer is one who relies on the power of evil to see and that is detestable to me." Then I have a hard time believing that the use of the word could affect one's spiritual life. It's not forbidden by any means, it's just not used.

It seems there is a difference between you and I and how we approach our bibles, huh?

I, as well as Oscarr, are of the older generations, and we take a way more precise stance with what the word says and doesn't say, whereas you seem to be of the younger generations in your picture, and you may not have that sort of stance, at least not yet.

For me,.. things are black and white, truth and lie, and there is no grey area to play around in.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems there is a difference between you and I and how we approach our bibles, huh?

I, as well as Oscarr, are of the older generations, and we take a way more precise stance with what the word says and doesn't say, whereas you seem to be of the younger generations in your picture, and you may not have that sort of stance, at least not yet.

For me,.. things are black and white, truth and lie, and there is no grey area to play around in.

If you can find in the Bible where it says that the use of the word seer is forbidden, then I'll agree that the hypothetical situation of a seer being called a prophet shouldn't happen in today's society as God forbade it. Otherwise, it's a non-issue and it is a non-issue as it doesn't happen anyways.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If you can find in the Bible where it says that the use of the word seer is forbidden, then I'll agree that the hypothetical situation of a seer being called a prophet shouldn't happen in today's society as God forbade it. Otherwise, it's a non-issue and it is a non-issue as it doesn't happen anyways.

This isn't about you, so you should stop making it so.

This is about some people in the thread who wanted to entertain such an office as somehow legitimate in the NT, or it being somehow associated with the office of a Prophet in the NT, when there is no such office or subcategory.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledjm

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2007
Indianapolis, Indiana
✟225,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This isn't about you, so you should stop making it so.

This is about some people in the thread who wanted to entertain such an office as somehow legitimate in the NT, or it being somehow associated with the office of a Prophet in the NT, when there is no such office or subcategory.

If a seer is a prophet, and a prophet is a seer, even being used as a dual-title for Gad in 2 Samuel, then why can't one use the title? It's like someone calling me Craig, which is my middle name, instead of Jared which is my first name. It's still my name, it still refers to me, just like a seer can still, but is just not used anymore, refer to a prophet. If there's not a bible verse forbidding it, in this case, it should not be looked at with accusations that it could somehow affect one's spiritual walk with the Lord. That's akin to the Church of Christ belief that instruments should not be used for worship just because they were used in the OT and we're under a new covenant.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
If a seer is a prophet, and a prophet is a seer, even being used as a dual-title for Gad in 2 Samuel, then why can't one use the title?

Because scripture removes it's use,...

9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

This is why it is not mentioned in the NT, it was another name for a prophet that GOD stop using.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

If what you said about yourself was true you wouldn't make this statement in the first place since it violates several scriptural principles.

The whole statement reeks of pride, not truth. "If you don't see things exactly the way I do, you don't take scripture as seriously as I do". "Must be a generational thing". The whole suggestion is complete baloney. I see far more sincerity in spiritfilledjm's posts than I do in this one, regardless of my agreement or lack thereof in the content.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Because scripture removes it's use,...

9 (Beforetime in Israel, when a man went to enquire of God, thus he spake, Come, and let us go to the seer: for he that is now called a Prophet was beforetime called a Seer.)

This is why it is not mentioned in the NT, it was another name for a prophet that GOD stopped using.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

After Staff Review

This Thread
is Now
Permanently Closed

RV: Spiritual Gifts Forum Statement of Purpose

Any discussions about the gifts of the Spirit, Scripture, and Christian theology should be done in a spirit of love and humility, exhibiting mutual respect and grace towards one another, with the goal of increasing spiritual insight and knowledge with the Holy Spirit's guidance. Discussions should not turn into a heated debate.

Members who participate in this forum are not here to win an argument or prove a point, they are here to learn from one another and grow spiritually. We would like this forum to remain a safe place where Christian members from all denominations can discuss and learn more about the spiritual gifts.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.