What is a Christian?

Originally posted by jesusfreak
a person who is saved.

One word?

Sad!

I apologise in advance here but please hear me out! I was brought up in in church and all that it envelopes! Our vicar, looking back, was obviously gay!

The stories were cool but I soon saw through them as total rubbish and only to be remembered as values for later life.

Fact... I have found, that all Christians I know, that they have chosen this path because of traumatic experiences.. nothing more, nothing less... and even in my own family!

If there were a true god, he would not allow all the suffering of the innocent to the riches of the evil...

In fact, there is no good or evil except in the perception of our own minds!

Life goes on and we life it as we see fit... I dont need a pretend effigy to guide me, I have my own morals and boundaries.

You may feel better for not openly insulting your neighbours but I bet your bottom dollar your inner most feelings are the same as everyone elses... you just have better control over your "end user" delivery!

Be cool, I dont pray for no one, and believe in yourself!

karenxtrans.gif

Upvote 0

messenjah

Veteran
Jan 18, 2002
Snohomish, WA
✟8,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
fell-and-admited-it
There you go one word.

As for "The Soul Girl"
I'm sorry you feel that way but I don't think your right
a) If you read the beatittitudes you see Christ saying that the poor, weak and hurt are the best off. Maybe the reasons people come to Christ because of a traumatic experience is because it is easier for them to understand Christ. A person at their lowest, has nothing else to put their trust in and nothing to lose so they give their salvation to Christ. Christ came down to earth to help the sinners, now if you have never done anything wrong then maybe you don't need Christ, but I know I have so I'll keep Him as my Savior.
b) If you read the beginning of Genesis, you will see that God didn't allow suffering and pain in the world, we did. Yes He did give us a choice. Now you might be saying now, why would He do that, why wouldn't He force us to worship Him and we could all be in heaven. Well think of it this way. How many times have your parents told you that you couldn't do something. Now have you ever gotten mad that they didn't allow you to make your own choices. Well God has always given us a choice. First it was the tree. We messed that up so then he gave us the choice to follow Him or not. He knew it was impossible for us to be friends with God because of that huge gap between us and Him. Think of it this way. God and us used to be best friends and we went to the same school. Then we go to another country for a long time and we come back and He doesn't understand us anymore. Well this is where Christ comes in. Christ is the friend who can translate our needs and wants to the father because He came to earth, He went through it all and now He can relate to the both of us, God and human, because he is both God and Human.
c) Have you ever gotten into an argument with someone about a seat or some food. You might hear things like. "Hey give me back that seat, I had it first." or "Give me some food, I gave you some." Now I'm sure you've never heard someone say, oh forget your standard. No the person always tries to give an excuse for what they did. They try to give a reasoning for why they deserve the seat or why they shouldn't give them some food. Now this clearly shows that morals, or good and evil make a strong prevailence in our life. Everyone, when getting into an argument, proves that subconciously, they believe in a certain standard or Law. If they didn't they wouldn't try to make excuses.
I wish I could talk more but I have to go. I hope and pray that you will come to know the Lord. Also if you want to know more about Morality like I was talking about, read C.S Lewis's "Mere Christianity" It will anwer a lot of questions.

Upvote 0

Blynn

Jan 15, 2002
✟22,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
What is a Christian???

(Someone who has been givien a new life).

A person who has been adopted into the family of God and now has their name written in the Lamb's Book of Life. All because of one person Jesus Christ..

I will never forget the day that I was adopted and God said "Welcome to the family".

Roberta :)

Upvote 0
R

renee

Soulgirl: I too came to Christ without drama or fanfare or crisis. But so what if there was all that excitement when God saved me? That doesn't make the salvation any less significant or real. A person who comes to Christ because of a trauma or extraordinary event in their life would probably say their relationship with God was immediately personal and secure because of the "work" and change He brought to their life.

Upvote 0

Blynn

Jan 15, 2002
✟22,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Amen renee.

My experience was life changing. Jesus Christ literally stepped in and saved my life.

I was an alcoholic who could not quit drinking. I have not touched a drop in 13 years.... don't even have the desire to do so. I was also anorexic. Happy to report that is gone too!!! Deeply in bondage to the occult. All gone.

I thank Him everyday for my new life.

He is very real to me.

God Bless,
Roberta

Upvote 0
Originally posted by renee
Soulgirl: I too came to Christ without drama or fanfare or crisis. But so what if there was all that excitement when God saved me? That doesn't make the salvation any less significant or real. A person who comes to Christ because of a trauma or extraordinary event in their life would probably say their relationship with God was immediately personal and secure because of the "work" and change He brought to their life.

so saved you from what exactly... you say nothing so how could he have SAVED you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

renee

[so saved you from what exactly... you say nothing so how could he have SAVED you?] original quote from soulgirl

Christ saved me from exactly what He saves every other person who asks Him to come into their life: He saved me from eternal damnation, He saved me from my sin, He saved me from the bondage of the enemy, He saved me from the pattern of this world so that I might be free and be in peace and in joy. When I gave my life to Christ all by myself as a young girl in the privacy of my own room, kneeling beside my bed, I didn't hear bells or whistles. I didn't weep or go into hysterics. I simply fell before the Almighty God and surrendered my life to Him and was instantly and miraculously changed from the inside out. I was no "great sinner" or living a life that required a miraculous change. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23. I was like you, Soulgirl, and every other soul on this earth: a sinner in need of a Savior. And Jesus in His mercy and love is both my Saver and my Savior. He wants to be yours too, Soulgirl.

Upvote 0

solo66 man

Jan 18, 2002
San Jose Ca.
✟6,958.00
There is no way I came to be a Christian after a traumatic experience. I was saved at the age of 46. But Christ was come to only after much seeking throughout my life.
After trying different religions and psycho therepys, in search of a
fullfiling life of true lasting peace and a direction that can only be in one direction with no mistakes or changes in what God was saying, he makes no excuses, I began reading the Bible and about halfway through the old testament, I was lead to go to a chuch and be saved. And THANK GOD I DID SEVEN YEARS AGO.
He so real. No question as to the validity of His word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kristen

Blah Blah
Dec 24, 2001
California
Visit site
✟6,488.00
Faith
Christian
Christ saved me from exactly what He saves every other person who asks Him to come into their life: He saved me from eternal damnation, He saved me from my sin, He saved me from the bondage of the enemy, He saved me from the pattern of this world so that I might be free and be in peace and in joy. When I gave my life to Christ all by myself as a young girl in the privacy of my own room, kneeling beside my bed, I didn't hear bells or whistles. I didn't weep or go into hysterics. I simply fell before the Almighty God and surrendered my life to Him and was instantly and miraculously changed from the inside out. I was no "great sinner" or living a life that required a miraculous change. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23. I was like you, Soulgirl, and every other soul on this earth: a sinner in need of a Savior. And Jesus in His mercy and love is both my Saver and my Savior. He wants to be yours too, Soulgirl.

Amen! Renee!!

Upvote 0
Originally posted by renee
Easy TheBear,
I think Soulgirl has some valid statements, despite the fact they come across harshly. I admire Soulgirl's persistance for truth and who are we to stop her? Just the opposite. I think we should encourage Soulgirl to be comfortable enough on the forum to express herself as she desires. What do you think? :confused:

Ahh... someone not so forgiving :)

Upvote 0