KZN
✟16,364.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my recent attitude and feelings toward my Christian walk and something very worrying occurred to me. I've found that my main motivation for doing anything that I do (praying, going to church, staying clear of temptation) is fueled by my fear of eternal damnation.

I don't know if anyone else goes through this, but it is scary. What if I am Christian mainly because I'm scared to go to hell?

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been doing a lot of reflecting on my recent attitude and feelings toward my Christian walk and something very worrying occurred to me. I've found that my main motivation for doing anything that I do (praying, going to church, staying clear of temptation) is fueled by my fear of eternal damnation.

I don't know if anyone else goes through this, but it is scary. What if I am Christian mainly because I'm scared to go to hell?

I would question if you are really born again. I don't think someone walking in a relationship with God is fueled by fear. Fear of the future maybe a motivator to come to Him. But, once someone gets to know Him, Love should take over and be your motivation.

Upvote 0

faithliness

Jan 30, 2018
KZN
✟16,364.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would question if you are really born again. I don't think someone walking in a relationship with God is fueled by fear. Fear of the future maybe a motivator to come to Him. But, once someone gets to know Him, Love should take over and be your motivation.
I agree. But the more I think about it the more I realize the root of this goes much deeper. Knowing why this is happening is more important.
Maybe I just need to get to know Him again. Learn to let love take over, as you say.
Thank you

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's a good secondary motivation. If we stop fearing hell, we stop fearing God, as a pastor once told me. Our primary focus though should be on the assurance, which God wants us to have. And serving Him in gratitude.

Upvote 0

look4hope

Love.Fellowship.Joy
Angels Team
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Dec 6, 2012
Somewhere in Jersey
✟382,922.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Could it be different reasons instead of just being scared of hell?
Sometimes I think fear is part of the understanding. Perhaps the more we study and do our best to hand our problems to God, the less of the selfish fear.
It’s a thought. Hopefully not misinterpreted.

Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Sounds like, to me, that all you have ever been taught is "Fire, Hell, and Brimstone". God is your Father, and you are His child....He loves you more than you can ever comprehend. If you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, then you are saved. This is "condemnation" working on your mind. Paul said that
Romans 8:1 King James Version (KJV)
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Here is my testimony when I went through what you are now.
Well I am still new and can't quite figure it out so the rest of my story goes like this:
I went to church all my life, got saved when I was 7. After I became an adult I joined the adult Sunday service. We had a wonderful pastor who just happened to preach his sermon on the very sin I committed that week. At the end of the sermon he invited anyone who needed to come to the alter to rededicate, get saved or be delivered to come forward. I was there every single service. One Sunday after church and getting saved again I went home threw my body on the floor and cried to God uncontrollably and said "I give up, this Christianity thing is too hard and no matter how I try I seem to always mess up!"
Then I heard a voice, it wasn't really audible to my ears but it was very audible in my mind. It said to me "Patty, who do you think I am?"....instinctively somehow I knew he expected me to say something so I said you are God...He asked a second time, I replied a little more hesitantly since the 1st answer didn't seem to be right and said "umm The Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the I AM...(I got it right this time for sure!)...then He asked a 3RD TIME!!! I stuttered and searched my memory of what I was taught about who God is and finally I said what do you want me to say...
He replied soooooo lovingly and tender and said "I am your Father, and as much as you love your daughter so much more do I love you that you can't comprehend it. As your daughter grows up and makes mistakes you will correct her, discipline her at times but never, ever, ever will you stop loving her because of her mistakes. And neither will I stop loving you just because you make a mistake. Allow yourself to be led of the spirit, repent daily and always forgive...as I will always forgive you. Seek Me daily, walk with me, talk with me, tell me what's on your heart. I AM YOUR FATHER!" So wow..
I was approximately 23 y.o. when this happened and it liberated me from condemnation. I now know I am truly saved! Amen!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it wise for everyone, who believes in eternal torment, to contemplate whether or not they are Christians because of that fear of hell. Are we going to church to get to heaven, or to not go to Hell? Are our tithes a payment on afterlife insurance?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's a good secondary motivation. If we stop fearing hell, we stop fearing God, as a pastor once told me. Our primary focus though should be on the assurance, which God wants us to have. And serving Him in gratitude.
Still sounds like a hell avoidance worship......assurance that we wont go to a hell? The good news is that we are saved from bad news?

Upvote 0

faithliness

Jan 30, 2018
KZN
✟16,364.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sounds like, to me, that all you have ever been taught is "Fire, Hell, and Brimstone". God is your Father, and you are His child....He loves you more than you can ever comprehend. If you have accepted Jesus as your Lord and Saviour, then you are saved. This is "condemnation" working on your mind. Paul said that
Romans 8:1 King James Version (KJV)
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Here is my testimony when I went through what you are now.
Well I am still new and can't quite figure it out so the rest of my story goes like this:
I went to church all my life, got saved when I was 7. After I became an adult I joined the adult Sunday service. We had a wonderful pastor who just happened to preach his sermon on the very sin I committed that week. At the end of the sermon he invited anyone who needed to come to the alter to rededicate, get saved or be delivered to come forward. I was there every single service. One Sunday after church and getting saved again I went home threw my body on the floor and cried to God uncontrollably and said "I give up, this Christianity thing is too hard and no matter how I try I seem to always mess up!"
Then I heard a voice, it wasn't really audible to my ears but it was very audible in my mind. It said to me "Patty, who do you think I am?"....instinctively somehow I knew he expected me to say something so I said you are God...He asked a second time, I replied a little more hesitantly since the 1st answer didn't seem to be right and said "umm The Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the End, the I AM...(I got it right this time for sure!)...then He asked a 3RD TIME!!! I stuttered and searched my memory of what I was taught about who God is and finally I said what do you want me to say...
He replied soooooo lovingly and tender and said "I am your Father, and as much as you love your daughter so much more do I love you that you can't comprehend it. As your daughter grows up and makes mistakes you will correct her, discipline her at times but never, ever, ever will you stop loving her because of her mistakes. And neither will I stop loving you just because you make a mistake. Allow yourself to be led of the spirit, repent daily and always forgive...as I will always forgive you. Seek Me daily, walk with me, talk with me, tell me what's on your heart. I AM YOUR FATHER!" So wow..
I was approximately 23 y.o. when this happened and it liberated me from condemnation. I now know I am truly saved! Amen!
Wow. That is a beautiful story. Thank you.
I've never heard God speak to me before. I think that is what makes it harder

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faithliness

Jan 30, 2018
KZN
✟16,364.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it wise for everyone, who believes in eternal torment, to contemplate whether or not they are Christians because of that fear of hell. Are we going to church to get to heaven, or to not go to Hell? Are our tithes a payment on afterlife insurance?
Very true and accurate. Questions that I am contemplating

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Hey, whatever works. Fear of hell is one of God's ways of drawing men to Him. It's OK to turn to Him for any reason, just be sure you really are turning to Him. Are you willing to be "good" as God wants you to be? Are you able to accept God's gift of eternal life, providing you switch over to being one of His children?

Upvote 0

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow. That is a beautiful story. Thank you.
I've never heard God speak to me before. I think that is what makes it harder
Well He does speak to you all the time....you just haven't realized it was Him. (You know, like that still small voice that you hear but disregard as just your own thoughts?)

Upvote 0

faithliness

Jan 30, 2018
KZN
✟16,364.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well He does speak to you all the time....you just haven't realized it was Him. (You know, like that still small voice that you hear but disregard as just your own thoughts?)
I suppose my ear isn't tuned to the sound of His voice

Upvote 0

DavidFirth

Saved by the blood of the Lamb
Site Supporter
Nov 8, 2017
North Georgia
✟47,035.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Very true and accurate. Questions that I am contemplating

Christianity is about Christ. It is Christ. I would recommend studying the Gospels and developing a personal relationship with Jesus. After that, study Acts and Romans.

Above all pray about this. Ask God to lead you into truth. Christ is truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suppose my ear isn't tuned to the sound of His voice
I was 23 and that was the 1st time I ever heard His voice....so I don't know how or why I did at this moment....I guess maybe I was just so hungry and wanted so much to please Him and not go to Hell....

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hello faithfulness.

I think it is really two motivations, love and fear. Everyone wants to avoid punishment but also everyone is attracted to Jesus.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,158.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Preaching on hell without the balancing teaching that God is not willing that any should perish but that all may come to repentance, is false doctrine. If people are "getting religion" as opposed to to truly turning to Christ and repenting of their sinful ways, just as "fire insurance" then they are believing a false gospel and receiving another Jesus who is not the Jesus of the New Testament. Peter told the crowd who cried out "Men and brethren, what shall we do?", "Repent and be baptised in the Name of Jesus, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."

In my view, a person genuinely filled with the Holy Spirit is not afraid of hell. If there is still the fear of hell, then that person must find out if they have truly repented of all their sinful ways and are seriously wanting the Holy Spirit to work in them so they can live a holy life before the Lord; and, preaching that Jesus can be our Saviour and neglecting that He is Lord as well is also a false gospel. A truly converted person has Jesus as his Lord and Saviour.

A person who has made a profession that Jesus is his Saviour, but has not made Him his Lord and is still retaining some sinful habit patterns that should be repented of and dealt with by the Holy Spirit, may very well and understandably afraid of hell. What the person may be sensing is the conviction of sin and may need to do some heart searching to ensure that there is no some unconfessed sinful habit patterns still lurking under the surface.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Yes, a lot of us go through this. But how I got through this phase is I just started reading the scriptures until the light came on. And one day, just like the song says, something happened. I can't explain it any other way, just, something happened. It was glorious and more real than anything I had ever known. The light was bright, and warm, and joy filled me. It was just like the song says. So ask Lord Jesus to touch you.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You can have a personal relationship with Him! The more you read the scripture, the more you pray to Him, the more you talk to Him as a Father, the stronger your relationship will grow. He is not some distant God up in the sky, once you truly accept Him as your Lord and Saviour, the Holy Spirit comes and dwells inside you.
Just like Oscarr says, many "Christians" go through the motions, but do not truly make Him Lord over their lives and make a conscious effort to repent from sin.

Upvote 0