Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is what the Hebrews were to leave behind in Hebrews 6:2 !!

#1 The Doctrine // DIDACHE is in the Genitive Case and in the Singular .

# 2 OF BAPTISMS// BAPTISMOS , also in the Genitive Case in the PLURAL . an they had more than one Baptism .

#3 And of LAYING ON // in the Genitive Case is the case of Definition or Description in the Singular

# 4 OF HANDS // CHEIF , in the GENITIVE CASE , in the Plural .

#5 OF RESURRECTION // ANASTASIS , in the GENITIVE CASE , and of one Resurrection

#6 OF THE DEAD // NEKROS , in the GENTIVE CASE , also in the Plural

#7 OF ETERNAL // AIONIOS , in the GENITIVE CASE , in the singular , in the NEUTER , which means Male and Female

#8 JUDGMENT // KRIMA in the GENITIVE CASE , in the SINGULAR and in the NEUTER , meaning Male and Female

This verse 2 should cause many to think as to what Paul means to LEAVE the Teaching of BAPTISMS !!

Does it mean to forsake the teachings of BAPTISMS , yes it does and in Heb 9:10 the Jew had VARIOUS WASHING and CLEANING in Luke 11:38 and I believe it means that WATER and BAPTISMS are OUT ?

What say you ?

dan p

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is what the Hebrews were to leave behind in Hebrews 6:2 !!

#1 The Doctrine // DIDACHE is in the Genitive Case and in the Singular .

# 2 OF BAPTISMS// BAPTISMOS , also in the Genitive Case in the PLURAL . an they had more than one Baptism .

#3 And of LAYING ON // in the Genitive Case is the case of Definition or Description in the Singular

# 4 OF HANDS // CHEIF , in the GENITIVE CASE , in the Plural .

#5 OF RESURRECTION // ANASTASIS , in the GENITIVE CASE , and of one Resurrection

#6 OF THE DEAD // NEKROS , in the GENTIVE CASE , also in the Plural

#7 OF ETERNAL // AIONIOS , in the GENITIVE CASE , in the singular , in the NEUTER , which means Male and Female

#8 JUDGMENT // KRIMA in the GENITIVE CASE , in the SINGULAR and in the NEUTER , meaning Male and Female

This verse 2 should cause many to think as to what Paul means to LEAVE the Teaching of BAPTISMS !!

Does it mean to forsake the teachings of BAPTISMS , yes it does and in Heb 9:10 the Jew had VARIOUS WASHING and CLEANING in Luke 11:38 and I believe it means that WATER and BAPTISMS are OUT ?

What say you ?

dan p

The writer is speaking in the form of a lecture. To leave behind means "for the sake of discussion we are going to leave behind...". It's no different than a history teacher saying, "For now we are going to leave behind the Revolutionary War and go on to the War of 1812". Notice the writer also says, "if God permits". It's an expression. Just like some people say, "Good Lord willing I'm going to..."

Now, it in no way implies that anyone is to literally forget or forsake the idea of baptism or anything else.

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The writer is speaking in the form of a lecture. To leave behind means "for the sake of discussion we are going to leave behind...". It's no different than a history teacher saying, "For now we are going to leave behind the Revolutionary War and go on to the War of 1812". Notice the writer also says, "if God permits". It's an expression. Just like some people say, "Good Lord willing I'm going to..."

Now, it in no way implies that anyone is to literally forget or forsake the idea of baptism or anything else.
And the Greek word LEAVING // APHIEMI in the Greek IS a PARTICIPLE and the Greek word can be translated as " HAVING LEFT "
dan p

Upvote 0

SamInNi

God's Riches At Christ's Expense
Jan 4, 2022
Ireland
Visit site
✟29,040.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The context, as given in verse one, concerns leaving "the elementary teaching about Christ". There follows a list of subjects that are being referenced as elementary teaching about Christ. These teachings are to be left behind in the sense the writer is instructing the readers to move on in maturity.

It doesn't mean that teachings were to be abandoned altogether! It doesn't mean the crucial truths of the elementary teaching are to be ditched. A sound foundation has been laid, and kept.

Reactions: Palmfever
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The context, as given in verse one, concerns leaving "the elementary teaching about Christ". There follows a list of subjects that are being referenced as elementary teaching about Christ. These teachings are to be left behind in the sense the writer is instructing the readers to move on in maturity.

It doesn't mean that teachings were to be abandoned altogether! It doesn't mean the crucial truths of the elementary teaching are to be ditched. A sound foundation has been laid, and kept.
And the Greek word LEAVING is a PARTCIPLE and means HAVING LEFT , G863 in STRONG'S

The ESV translation translates it ELEMENTARY and this what the Holy Spirit calls the LAW of Moses , Elementary !!

Are you saying that the MOSAIC LAW is still in EFFECT ??

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying that the MOSAIC LAW is sill in EFFECT ??
But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 2 Cor 3:15

The veil is taken away in Christ.

Now the Lord is the Spirit; 2 Cor 3:17-18
And I will not hide My face from them anymore; Ezek 39:29

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But even to this day, when Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart. 2 Cor 3:15

The veil is taken away in Christ.

Now the Lord is the Spirit; 2 Cor 3:17-18
And I will not hide My face from them anymore; Ezek 39:29
And 2 Cor 3:11-15 shows that the LAW of MOSES was set aside as doe Acts 28:25-28 and Isa 6:1-18 !!

2 Cor 3:15 and 16 shows how Jews are saved TODAY !!

dan p

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He is saying, Grow up. Quit sipping the milk and eat some meat.
Hebrews 1:11
We have a great deal to say about this, and it is difficult to explain, since you have become too lazy to understand. 12 Although by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the basic principles of God’s revelation again. You need milk, not solid food. 13 Now everyone who lives on milk is inexperienced with the message about righteousness, because he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature—for those whose senses have been trained to distinguish between good and evil.
Hebrews, 2:1
Therefore, let us leave the elementary teaching about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works, faith in God, 2 teaching about ritual washings, laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And we will do this if God permits.

In Christ

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He is saying, Grow up. Quit sipping the milk and eat some meat.
Hebrews 1:11
We have a great deal to say about this, and it is difficult to explain, since you have become too lazy to understand. 12 Although by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the basic principles of God’s revelation again. You need milk, not solid food. 13 Now everyone who lives on milk is inexperienced with the message about righteousness, because he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature—for those whose senses have been trained to distinguish between good and evil.
Hebrews, 2:1
Therefore, let us leave the elementary teaching about Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works, faith in God, 2 teaching about ritual washings, laying on of hands, the resurrection of the dead, and eternal judgment. 3 And we will do this if God permits.

In Christ
Since you seem to be speaking to me , why is 2 Cor 3:11-15 and hope that I am not a BLATHERSKITE .

dan p

Upvote 0

Palmfever

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2019
Hawaii
✟153,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since you seem to be speaking to me , why is 2 Cor 3:11-15 and hope that I am not a BLATHERSKITE .

dan p
I don't see you as a blabbering foolish person. If you truly believe in Christ it is impossible to qualify as a fool in my opinion. I offered the prior scriptures as a way of gaining a greater understanding on the subject matter in Hebrews 6:2.
The writer of Hebrews is scolding the Hebrew church; "Although by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the basic principles of God’s revelation again. You need milk, not solid food."
In chapter 6 He reiterates items that are a given, beginning doctrines. He then urges them to grow. He does is not invalidating repentance, faith, resurrection, or any of the other principles that are a part of our original acceptance of grace.

If in 2 Corinthians 3 you refer to the veil. Believers in Christ do not have that veil. It has been lifted. "For to this day, at the reading of the old covenant, the same veil remains; it is not lifted, because it is set aside only in Christ."

We grow in knowledge and understanding. The Hebrew church were still behaving as children. As Paul states elsewhere, When I was a child I thought as a child, I understood as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things.

Christ urges us to come to Him like children, in confident faith and trust such as the progeny of a King.
Childlike, not childish.

In Christ

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Does it mean to forsake the teachings of BAPTISMS , yes it does...
These are all matters of which you should have been fully aware, doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, Acts 19:1-6

of resurrection of the dead,

If the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead? 1 Cor 15:29
Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Rom 6:3
In order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life. Rom 6:4
For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection; Rom 6:5

Put on the new nature created in God’s image, in the righteousness and holiness of the truth. Eph 4:24

and of eternal judgment.

Some awake to eternal life, others to eternal disgrace. Dan 12:2

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These are all matters of which you should have been fully aware, doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, Acts 19:1-6

of resurrection of the dead,

If the dead do not rise at all? Why then are they baptized for the dead? 1 Cor 15:29
Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? Rom 6:3
In order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life. Rom 6:4
For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection; Rom 6:5

Put on the new nature created in God’s image, in the righteousness and holiness of the truth. Eph 4:24

and of eternal judgment.

Some awake to eternal life, others to eternal disgrace. Dan 12:2
I see that you mentioned BAPTISM for the DEAD that is written in 1 Cor 15:29 , and you have a verse that explains it ??

dan p

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea of "leaving" these elementary doctrines does not mean forsaking them and, indeed, not rejecting them. The idea is they will graduate from them, like leaving elementary school and advancing to higher schools. Another author says we are to be "carried upon" the elementary teaching to higher levels. Still, another states the high teachings are going to be built upon or even built from the fundamental elements of the elementary teachings.
peace

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The idea of "leaving" these elementary doctrines does not mean forsaking them and, indeed, not rejecting them. The idea is they will graduate from them, like leaving elementary school and advancing to higher schools. Another author says we are to be "carried upon" the elementary teaching to higher levels. Still, another states the high teachings are going to be built upon or even built from the fundamental elements of the elementary teachings.
peace
hen looking at the Greek , the KJV , translates it LEAVING // APHIEMI , which is in the AORIST TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , a PARTICIPLE and in the Plural ., and G863 in STRONG'S .

The Greek word LEAVING // APHIEMI is found in 146 times in 133 verses in the TR GREEK .

You will fine the word LEAVE 52 X , Forgive 47 x , to send away , depart , omit .

dan p

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
hen looking at the Greek , the KJV , translates it LEAVING // APHIEMI , which is in the AORIST TENSE , ACTIVE VOICE , a PARTICIPLE and in the Plural ., and G863 in STRONG'S .

The Greek word LEAVING // APHIEMI is found in 146 times in 133 verses in the TR GREEK .

You will fine the word LEAVE 52 X , Forgive 47 x , to send away , depart , omit .

dan p
Thanks
Just a couple of research notes.
Word Studies in the New Testament (M. R. Vincent):
"leaving the word of the beginning concerning Christ. Ἀφέντες leaving or dismissing does not imply ceasing to believe in elementary truths or to regard them as important, but leaving them “as a builder leaves his foundation in erecting his building” (Bruce)."

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary
leaving — getting further forward than the elementary “principles.” “As in building a house one must never leave the foundation: yet to be always laboring in ‘laying the foundation’ would be ridiculous” [Calvin].

Contextually, I would have to ask which of these 6 elementary doctrines we would "leave," as in " send away , depart, omit?"
  1. "the foundation of repentance from dead works,
  2. of faith toward God,
  3. Of the doctrine of baptisms,
  4. of laying on of hands,
  5. of resurrection of the dead,
  6. of eternal judgment.
The context would seem to say that we, in fact, should not abandon these to the end that we would "lay again the foundation."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks
Just a couple of research notes.
Word Studies in the New Testament (M. R. Vincent):
"leaving the word of the beginning concerning Christ. Ἀφέντες leaving or dismissing does not imply ceasing to believe in elementary truths or to regard them as important, but leaving them “as a builder leaves his foundation in erecting his building” (Bruce)."

Jamieson, Fausset and Brown Commentary
leaving — getting further forward than the elementary “principles.” “As in building a house one must never leave the foundation: yet to be always laboring in ‘laying the foundation’ would be ridiculous” [Calvin].

Contextually, I would have to ask which of these 6 elementary doctrines we would "leave," as in " send away , depart, omit?"
  1. "the foundation of repentance from dead works,
  2. of faith toward God,
  3. Of the doctrine of baptisms,
  4. of laying on of hands,
  5. of resurrection of the dead,
  6. of eternal judgment.
The context would seem to say that we, in fact, should not abandon these to the end that we would "lay again the foundation."
And there are many , that believe that Hebrews was never written by Paul and I believe that he did , and there are many that have written books on who wrote it .

And when reading the number of subjects , it is surely SPEAKING about Israel .

And Paul has all ready LAID THE FOUNDATION in 1 Cor 3:10-15 .

dan p

• Optimistic
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And when reading the number of subjects , it is surely SPEAKING about Israel .
And Paul has all ready LAID THE FOUNDATION in 1 Cor 3:10-15
His foundation is in the holy mountain. Psalm 87
“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; Isaiah 28:16
He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; Isaiah 33:5-6
"I stretched out the heavens, laid the foundations of the earth, and said to Zion, “You are my people.” Isaiah 51:16
The Lord reigns;
The Lord is great in Zion, And He is exalted above all the peoples. Psalm 99:1-2
Blessed are all those who trust in Him. Psalm 2:6,7,12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His foundation is in the holy mountain. Psalm 87
“See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; Isaiah 28:16
He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; Isaiah 33:5-6
"I stretched out the heavens, laid the foundations of the earth, and said to Zion, “You are my people.” Isaiah 51:16
The Lord reigns;
The Lord is great in Zion, And He is exalted above all the peoples. Psalm 99:1-2
Blessed are all those who trust in Him. Psalm 2:6,7,12
And Peter talks about a FOUNDATION IN 1 Peter 2:6 Behold I lay in SION ( means laid in Israel } a CHIEF CONRNER STONE .

Then in verse 7 , Israel , which is the disobedient , , the STONE which the builders DISALLOWED .

But Paul write in 1 Cor 3:11 For another FOUNDATION of the SAME KIND , NO ONE is able to lay besides the ONE being set who is CHRIST JESUS .

Today is the DISPENATION of the Grace of God and there is ONLY ONE FOUDATION and all are careful how anyone builds on this FOUNDATION as verse 11 and 12 says we are to do !!

dan p

Upvote 0

keepitsimple144

Feb 17, 2024
midwest
✟8,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And Peter talks about a FOUNDATION IN 1 Peter 2:6 Behold I lay in SION ( means laid in Israel } a CHIEF CONRNER STONE .Then in verse 7 , Israel , which is the disobedient , , the STONE which the builders DISALLOWED .
But Paul write in 1 Cor 3:11 For another FOUNDATION of the SAME KIND , NO ONE is able to lay besides the ONE being set who is CHRIST JESUS .
Today is the DISPENATION of the Grace of God and there is ONLY ONE FOUDATION and all are careful how anyone builds on this FOUNDATION as verse 11 and 12 says we are to do !!
Which of course makes one look unwise when they insist that there's more than one gospel:

See then that you walk not as unwise people but as wise. Eph 5:14-15

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟197,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited: