Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's not what he said. That's a prime example of leftwing media lying about things Trump says. He said Mexico is sending us their rapists, murderers etc. to get rid of them. The left purposely misconstrued "their" as "they're" as in they are.
When you dont cut out the part you omitted it becomes clearer.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
There has long been disagreement about how we handle immigration.
Agree.

Another pre-Trump instance:

The Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (Bill S.744) was proposed by a bipartisan group of Senators on April 16, 2013 (three years before Trump). The Senate passed the bill 68-32. The bill was not considered by the Republican-controlled United States House of Representatives and died.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is the amount of applicants who get through the process each year.
According to what source?
Because those are true statements. The idea that people believe we need "Open borders" is a fabrication.
It sure sounded like that to me over the years. All of the illegal aliens suddenly became "refugees".
No. There has long been disagreement about how we handle immigration. I remember the acrimony back when Reagan was dealing with it.
When Trump said wall secure borders suddenly became racist, fascist, xenophobic etc..

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

It sure sounded like that to me over the years. All of the illegal aliens suddenly became "refugees".

When Trump said wall secure borders suddenly became racist, fascist, xenophobic etc..
Not all of them, only those with plausible asylum claims. Refugees fall into a different category and there are different admission standards.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not all of them, only those with plausible asylum claims. Refugees fall into a different category and there are different admission standards.
They somehow multiplied significantly overnight.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
They somehow multiplied significantly overnight.
Yes they did, and for a variety of reasons. The standards applied to evaluating their claims hasn't changed, however. What seems to be the problem is how the "caravans" are being dealt with. If they can get into the country, even illegally, they can file a legal asylum claim. There are so many crowded into inhospitable conditions on the other side of the border that it seems to many both expedient and humanitarian to let them enter illegally under supervision and then take them into custody--the so called "open borders" policy..

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Us government statistics. I heard it in the questioning that Katie Porter, senator from California, was asking David J. Bier associate director of immigration studies at the CATO Institute.
Yes, many conservatives seem to have gotten that message. The best explanation I can offer is that conservative media has altered and simplified what the left has been saying. The nuance seems to have been lost.

When Trump made racist xenophobic comments they were taken as such.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's not what he said. That's a prime example of leftwing media lying about things Trump says. He said Mexico is sending us their rapists, murderers etc. to get rid of them. The left purposely misconstrued "their" as "they're" as in they are.

And now it seems they're realizing their mistake.

What party did I omit?
I'm sorry, but that is nonsense. Here's the transcript of the entire speech (ignore the annotations; I don't care about them):

Here's the relevant section:

Thank you. It's true, and these are the best and the finest. When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

But I speak to border guards and they tell us what we're getting. And it only makes common sense. It only makes common sense. They're sending us not the right people.

The point he's conveying here is that the bulk of the people coming from Mexico are not good people, not the folks we'd want living here. Yes, he conceded that they might not all be bad, but he's clearly framing the good folks as a minority.

This isn't the "leftwing media lying about things Trump says." This is us listening to and reading his actual words. If you came away from that speech with some other interpretation of what he said, then I'd say it was likely that you didn't read it and it was the rightwing media who lied to you about what he said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
This is chuckles....

1708106966082.png

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well he certainly failed at that. No border secured and didn't make Mexico pay for it despite being in power for 4 years.
As I recall that's when the democrats started going in the opposite direction regarding border security.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry, but that is nonsense. Here's the transcript of the entire speech (ignore the annotations; I don't care about them):

Here's the relevant section:

The point he's conveying here is that the bulk of the people coming from Mexico are not good people, not the folks we'd want living here. Yes, he conceded that they might not all be bad, but he's clearly framing the good folks as a minority.

This isn't the "leftwing media lying about things Trump says." This is us listening to and reading his actual words. If you came away from that speech with some other interpretation of what he said, then I'd say it was likely that you didn't read it and it was the rightwing media who lied to you about what he said.
I just simply listened to that segment at the time and drew my own conclusion. It's easy for someone writing a transcript to render "their" as "they're". The message was we need tighter border control. More vetting. I'm originally from Southern California and I know about the gangs that have come over the border. The left probably won't look into that or acknowledge their numbers because they consider that racist and xenophobic.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I just simply listened to that segment at the time and drew my own conclusion. It's easy for someone writing a transcript to render "their" as "they're".

I don't know why you're hung up on "their" vs "they're." In the context of what he said, the difference is immaterial.

Their:
They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Their [Mexico's] rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

They're:
They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They are rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

The phrasing is a bit awkward on both, but the substance is the same.

The message was we need tighter border control. More vetting.

You can say that without painting the bulk of the migrants as criminals. In fact, you just did. ^^^Right there^^^

Trump chose to be nastier than that.

I'm originally from Southern California and I know about the gangs that have come over the border. The left probably won't look into that or acknowledge their numbers because they consider that racist and xenophobic.
Has anybody actually documented their numbers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know why you're hung up on "their" vs "they're." In the context of what he said, the difference is immaterial.

Their:
They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Their [Mexico's] rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

They're:
They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They are rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

The phrasing is a bit awkward on both, but the substance is the same.
It's always been spun as "they are rapists" as in "most/all Mexicans are rapists".
You can say that without painting the bulk of the migrants as criminals. In fact, you just did. ^^^Right there^^^
Not immigrants. Illegal aliens. There is a difference. Even though the left keeps pretending there isn't so they can keep doing their
"you're a RACIST!!" shtick.
Has anybody actually documented their numbers?
Document undocumented illegal aliens who snuck in hmm...

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not immigrants. Illegal aliens. There is a difference. Even though the left keeps pretending there isn't so they can keep doing their
"you're a RACIST!!" shtick.
No, the Left just wants to draw the distinction between illegal economic migrants and illegal entrants with valid asylum claims--a distinction which the law also draws

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, the Left just wants to draw the distinction between illegal economic migrants and illegal entrants with valid asylum claims--a distinction which the law also draws
Seems to me they want everyone to pour in because it's "racist" to say no to them, and they've come up with all kinds of loopholes for it.

It's hard to understand why the left fights so hard for things like millions of illegals pouring in. Reduced law enforcement, along with reduced prosecuting and sentencing. Reduced and eliminated drug laws. The government paying people to be in the country illegally. Paying people to be drug addicts. When it's always been so obvious that's going to create huge problems. It's like "lets come up with really bad policies, so that we can say 'whoops" later on after a huge amount of damage has been done.

And of course on top of that, it's all created a greater desire to get Trump back in office.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Seems to me they want everyone to pour in because it's "racist" to say no to them, and they've come up with all kinds of loopholes for it.

It's hard to understand why the left fights so hard for things like millions of illegals pouring in. Reduced law enforcement, along with reduced prosecuting and sentencing. Reduced and eliminated drug laws. The government paying people to be in the country illegally. Paying people to be drug addicts. When it's always been so obvious that's going to create huge problems. It's like "lets come up with really bad policies, so that we can say 'whoops" later on after a huge amount of damage has been done.
Yes, because of how it seems to you it's hard to understand.
And of course on top of that, it's all created a greater desire to get Trump back in office.
In a Democratic Republic like ours the people always get the government they deserve.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, because of how it seems to you it's hard to understand.
I should have said based on what I've heard from the left. And I'm hardly alone in seeing how badly woke leftism has turned out. Even those who supported it are starting to see what a disaster it is.
In a Democratic Republic like ours the people always get the government they deserve.
So what system of government should it be changed to?

Last edited:
Upvote 0