What films/movies should and shouldn't a Christian watch?

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You won't get a unifying, definitive answer to such a thing. The Bible doesn't give specific guidelines as to what we're supposed to be entertained by, so it's pointless to delineate between particular genres or subject matter because every opinion of what's "okay" by the vague standards of the Bible (e.g. Philippians 4:8) is completely subjective.

Take a film like, say, 'The Little Mermaid'. Some will say "well, it's a G-rated Disney film, so that's okay for Christians to watch", where as others will say, "but it has depictions of evil and the supernatural, so that's not okay for Christians to watch"...it's the same kind of contradictions and double standards as with music (e.g. christian rock only vs. no rock music at all, etc.). I don't think there's any one film which has unanimous Christian approval; even 'VeggieTales' gets criticism from more conservative religious groups.

I honestly don't believe ratings or content matter all that much, but rather the message the movie's trying to get across. There are a lot of films which glorify crime or drug use or general unlawful behavior, and I'd consider that inherently "unChristian" viewing. Although, mere depiction doesn't mean glorification: for example, a stoner comedy promoting the use of illicit drugs and excessive drinking is very different from a film like 'Trainspotting', which features the same albeit in an effectively negative light. Likewise, nobody's going to watch 'Goodfellas' and be inspired to join the Mafia because none of the characters get a happy ending at the end. A movie's morals are more important than its content.

God helps guide our conscience and drive us away from things which are objectionable and undesirable, but ultimately, if something makes you uncomfortable for any reason, don't watch it. If anything invokes a feeling in the back of your mind that you shouldn't be watching it, that's your reason to stop, not any arbitrary rules suggested by random people on the internet.

Upvote 0

PerpetuallyCurious

Dec 18, 2015
England
✟7,755.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
You won't get a unifying, definitive answer to such a thing. The Bible doesn't give specific guidelines as to what we're supposed to be entertained by, so it's pointless to delineate between particular genres or subject matter because every opinion of what's "okay" by the vague standards of the Bible (e.g. Philippians 4:8) is completely subjective.

Take a film like, say, 'The Little Mermaid'. Some will say "well, it's a G-rated Disney film, so that's okay for Christians to watch", where as others will say, "but it has depictions of evil and the supernatural, so that's not okay for Christians to watch"...it's the same kind of contradictions and double standards as with music (e.g. christian rock only vs. no rock music at all, etc.). I don't think there's any one film which has unanimous Christian approval; even 'VeggieTales' gets criticism from more conservative religious groups.

I honestly don't believe ratings or content matter all that much, but rather the message the movie's trying to get across. There are a lot of films which glorify crime or drug use or general unlawful behavior, and I'd consider that inherently "unChristian" viewing. Although, mere depiction doesn't mean glorification: for example, a stoner comedy promoting the use of illicit drugs and excessive drinking is very different from a film like 'Trainspotting', which features the same albeit in an effectively negative light. Likewise, nobody's going to watch 'Goodfellas' and be inspired to join the Mafia because none of the characters get a happy ending at the end. A movie's morals are more important than its content.

God helps guide our conscience and drive us away from things which are objectionable and undesirable, but ultimately, if something makes you uncomfortable for any reason, don't watch it. If anything invokes a feeling in the back of your mind that you shouldn't be watching it, that's your reason to stop, not any arbitrary rules suggested by random people on the internet.

I was just curious what others thought and figured we could create a discussion on the matter. Thanks for your input though.

Upvote 0

Aquila 04

Hello there. -Obi Wan Kenobi
Dec 27, 2015
North Dakota
✟8,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think God is worried about what you watch or play or anything so long as you aren't glorifying any aspects of it. For example, Star Wars is a great film and I don't think God would mind you watching. Now if you started dedicating your life to evil teachings and practices because you want to mimic the Sith as much as a human can then I think he'd be upset.

Same goes for video games, I love games like Fallout and GTA which aren't exactly what one would call Christian friendly games but I don't let them dictate how I am as a person and follower of God.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Excellent points made. What you personally take out of a piece of media is more important than the objective content itself. Of course, the argument that violence in the media breeds real-life violence is utter nonsense; if someone is using 'Star Wars' as a platform to transform themselves into a Sith, those are problems which lie in their mental well-being, not in the film itself.

A relevant example of such is that I work part-time in special effects and make-up, primarily on horror films. I grew up watching and loving lots of films which emphasize gore and gruesome creatures, but my interest was less in sadism and violence than fascination with the technical artistry. So when I watch, for instance, the head explosions in 'Scanners' or 'Maniac', my reaction has always been "wow, what an incredible effect! I wonder how they pulled that off", rather than "yeah, murder is awesome!". It would be a problem if I was fetishizing death or violence, but I've never worked with anyone who does so; rather, it's a craft like any other. Glorification of violence has nothing to do with it: much like a guitarist respects a crazy awesome guitar solo, I respect a big, messy special effect for the sheer spectacle.

But yes, God likely wouldn't care less about what media you partake in. I just have a hard time picturing a scenario where you'd get to Heaven and stand before God as he passes his judgment: "Well, you lived a life of loving the Lord with all your heart, being kind and compassionate to others, giving as much as receiving...buuuuut you watched 'Die Hard 2' when you were in seventh grade, so I'm afraid we can't let you in." ;)

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well, I check the ratings and if it's got too much violence or graphic sex and bad language I wouldn't be keen to see it.
No horror, as I want to watch inspiring films and things that are lovely and of good report.
I tend to watch those based on true stories.

Upvote 0

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What do you think?
I have felt like God wants me to change my watching habits and was wondering what you all thought?
What is your moral guideline for what you watch?
horror and sexualty charged movies I avoid. not thrillers or drama. I like action movies or documentary type like Spotlight.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2016
Northern Idaho
✟6,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well, I check the ratings and if it's got too much violence or graphic sex and bad language I wouldn't be keen to see it.
This.

I avoid R movies and some PG-13. It seems like PG-13 is the new R now days. Kidsinmind.com is a great site to check what all is in the movie. IMDB will also list the nudity content, gore, violence, etc. under the parental controls.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I thought i might post a list of christian movies that are inspiring to help you choose, as you said should watch as well as shouldnt watch.

So heres a few that ive seen that I would recommend

War room
Gods not dead
Courageous
Fireproof
Faith like potatoes
The hiding place
Joni
The cross and the switchblade
The nativity
Joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat

Enjoyable movies that have elements of faith in them..

The sound of music
Joyful noise

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another one that i heard about that i havent seen ppl say is good

The secrets of Jonathan Sperry

'The Secrets of Jonathan Sperry' is actually one of the better low-budget Christian films I've seen, one of many written and directed by the Christiano Brothers. It's not a *great* movie by any means, but I'll take a simple story with a good message over any of the more nonsensically politically-oriented Christian films being released to theaters these days.

Upvote 0

Eryk

Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2005
Maryland
✟109,945.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians are governed by principles, not rules, so that leaves some room for freedom of conscience. That doesn't mean anything goes, but at the other end are Christians who think it's wrong to watch any movies. I disagree with that.

As for violence and sexuality, it's all in the Bible. Amnon raping his sister, babies being smashed against rocks in the Psalms. I really wonder about the appropriateness of children's Bibles.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
The OP poses a good, legitimate question, although it is not an easy one to answer, seeing as how there are so many differing convictions on this issue alone. The lines are drawn in so many places it can get confusing. What we do know is what Bible says about not conforming to the world's patterns (Romans 12:2), focusing on the pure things (Philippians 4:8), and guarding our hearts against the things we know are ungodly (Proverbs 4:23-37). But that's just it. We have to go on what the Bible says only, and not necessarily on how others interpret it, which vary from Christian to Christian. As a result, we have differing convictions regarding movies, TV shows, and entertainment in general. Some go strictly on the rating system; others may look at the general content and weigh everything with the general theme, message, truths, and worldviews a given program may contain, and observe what stands out in the bigger picture. That's pretty much what I do, but I know everybody is affected differently. On one end of the spectrum, some will watch anything and everything, while some have chosen not to watch TV or movies of any kind whatsoever. The important thing to me is that Biblical standards must be considered in anything we may plan to do, even what we choose to eat and wear. The thing to think about is this: What if Jesus in person was standing at our door while we are doing a particular activity? Would we boldly open our door to Him and invite Him in, or scramble around looking for things to hide before reluctantly going out to meet Him? If we have to question all the time whether a particular activity is moral or not (and that includes our entertainment choices), then it's probably better not to do it. God knows the intent of our hearts.

Like I said, everyone's convictions are different when it comes to these things (as we read in Romans 14), but each of us should look to God's Word as the guideline for our day-to-day living.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far as I'm concerned, "pure" and "ungodly" definitely lie within intent and perspective rather than any objective standard, because, of course, what's "pure" to some is "ungodly" to others.

Intent is a big thing. That's why I subscribe to the "anything goes" philosophy that Eryk mentioned albeit didn't agree with: to me, the only limits are what makes you uncomfortable and what could potentially come between you and God. Watching an R-rated movie isn't a problem. Watching an R-rated movie to specifically revel in its sex or violence can be, and usually certainly is for a Christian.

Say there's an acclaimed, well-written thriller film which happens to have a lot of sex in it, or maybe a famous actress has a controversial nude scene in it. There's a big difference between someone who will watch the film for the cheap sensationalism of its sex scenes, and someone who will watch the film for the film itself and isn't distracted/aroused/disturbed/etc. by its sex scenes. Should the person watching the film for its story who couldn't care less about on-screen sex be judged the same as the person watching the same film with a specifically lustful intent? Likewise, I can make the same parallel with my love of horror movies born out of my love of horror fiction and special effects work, compared to the average teenager who'd see a gory movie just for the shock value.

If, as WannaWitness puts it, Jesus was standing at my door and I invited Him in, yes, He would see walls of videos and posters of schlocky horror films, but would He be more concerned with my VHS collection or more concerned with the actions I do in life and how I treat others? Would He know that my love of corny monster movies ties into my passion for creating and designing rather than a sensationalist desire to see blood and guts and murder? I'd like to think He'd look at my autographed poster for 'Killer Klowns from Outer Space' and just chuckle.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
As far as I'm concerned, "pure" and "ungodly" definitely lie within intent and perspective rather than any objective standard, because, of course, what's "pure" to some is "ungodly" to others.

Right. And that's what makes it so hard to draw the line on this issue, and other issues like it. You bring out some good points, too, that God does look at the heart and how we actually put His Word into practice. As far as content in certain movies go, some people are more vulnerable than others, and merely choose to abstain from such things, even though they are aware that "all things are clean in and of themselves" (Romans 14:14). And such people are better off abstaining, for to them these things would be sinful - for them personally. God totally understands that. Some feel more liberty in areas where others do not, and I believe God understands that, too. But care should be taken for the "strong" not to lay a stumbling block in the way of the "weaker brothers and sisters" to pull the latter into what they feel in their hearts are wrong. This is a hard thing to explain; Romans 14 does a better job.

Here are some commentaries regarding Christian liberty and the many so-called "gray areas" in theological matters that might be helpful. This is one of many issues that can be applied.

https://barbarah.wordpress.com/2007/02/17/fundamentals-and-secondary-issues/

http://www.samstorms.com/all-articles/post/legalism-vs--liberty

Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There's no such rule or list of movies that Christians should and shouldn't watch. (if there was, it'll be pretty much be Veggie Tales and nothing else).

It also depends on the person. I can handle just about anything (I've seen Deadpool..it almost has everything) and I wasn't bothered, or changed, or somehow got the urge to go around the city slicing arms off..no. I saw it as entertainment and "How in the world did they do that effect?"

I think the people who get astronomically offended at gore, violence or nudity do so because they can't handle it and think no one else should either. I think that ultimately shows that they are not a strong Christian and that they let the movie dictate how offended they get. They should mature more or simply 'Let it go' (let it gooo)

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the people who get astronomically offended at gore, violence or nudity do so because they can't handle it and think no one else should either. I think that ultimately shows that they are not a strong Christian and that they let the movie dictate how offended they get.

I have absolutely no problem if people can't handle, don't like or just outright hate certain content in the media, but going that extra step in protesting it and trying to stop other people from getting it is something I can't get behind whatsoever. There's stuff I dislike and disagree with out there, and if I had children it would be my own responsibility to monitor what their pop cultural intake is, or at least openly discuss it with them...it's not my place nor my right to dictate to other people what they should and shouldn't do with their lives, especially when it comes to something as banal as the stuff they watch in movies or on TV. And yeah, if your faith feels threatened by an R-rated movie that nobody's forcing you to see, it sounds like your faith wasn't too strong to begin with.

That's why I generally despise watchdog organizations like the Parents Television Council, American Family Association, Tipper Gore's old Parents Music Resource Center, etc.. It seems like they exist solely to be offended and dictate to others what is and what isn't objectionable. Sometimes I feel like they only generate controversy to raise awareness for their own organizations' personal and financial gain, and that's when I truly question what's "Christian" about some of the more overtly Evangelical groups. But then again, I got harshly criticized the last time I expressed that opinion here, so whatever.

Upvote 0