Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DIFFICULT MORAL QUESTIONS: How do we know whether we’re doing the right thing when we voluntarily expose ourselves to media that conflicts with the message of the Gospel?

Q. As I am a Catholic, is it a sin to watch movies such as The Goonies (1985)? I struggle with some films, especially from the ’80s, for example, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Indiana Jones films and the like. Can it be a sin to watch them? These are the movies I grew up with, but since I turned to the Catholic faith, I'm concerned I'm making a mistake if I watch them. I do fear God. Maybe you can help with my dilemma. Thanks. God bless you.

A. Dilemma is a good word. Media consumption poses a real dilemma. On the one hand, movies entertain, help us relax, allow pleasurable social interaction and bring enjoyment … all good. But the price we frequently pay is exposing ourselves to harmful content. What should we do?

Continued below.

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
DIFFICULT MORAL QUESTIONS: How do we know whether we’re doing the right thing when we voluntarily expose ourselves to media that conflicts with the message of the Gospel?

Q. As I am a Catholic, is it a sin to watch movies such as The Goonies (1985)? I struggle with some films, especially from the ’80s, for example, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Indiana Jones films and the like. Can it be a sin to watch them? These are the movies I grew up with, but since I turned to the Catholic faith, I'm concerned I'm making a mistake if I watch them. I do fear God. Maybe you can help with my dilemma. Thanks. God bless you.

A. Dilemma is a good word. Media consumption poses a real dilemma. On the one hand, movies entertain, help us relax, allow pleasurable social interaction and bring enjoyment … all good. But the price we frequently pay is exposing ourselves to harmful content. What should we do?

Continued below.
This is where the conscience comes in.
If it bothers you, don't.
If it is offensive. Don't.
If it doesn't matter because you're apathetic to the nuances that are wrong... Meh.
And I personally can watch a movie and 'get through' or 'ignore' rubbish.

But I seldom watch much because most is trash. Getting worse now more than ever.

Upvote 0