What films/movies should and shouldn't a Christian watch?

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would try to avoid anything that sends a negative message about the Lord to the audiences such as the da vinci code.

Depends on the circumstances and the particular viewer. Faith can't grow without being challenged. Though I don't intentionally seek them out, I don't shy away from any movies or media which have overtly anti-theist or atheistic messages because mere movies aren't strong enough to threaten the relationship between myself and God. I'm able to stick up for myself if something challenges my beliefs...in fact, I think sometimes it can be spiritually healthy to listen to and gain understanding of opposing philosophical or theological viewpoints, or watch something which could be perceived as blasphemous if only to make you really think and talk about subjects you'd otherwise prefer to avoid.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about something entirely different, but that's the first thing which came to my mind so I thought I'd put that out there.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I was just asking if that movie would be ok for a Christian to watch. As no one mentioned it in this post.

Again, there isn't going to be a "list" of movies that Christians can and cannot watch. It depends on your own personal discretion and your own personal sensitivities. Faith isn't a straitjacket of arbitrary dos and don'ts, but generally speaking, if you feel you have to ask whether or not a movie is "okay" to begin with, then perhaps it's not in your best personal interest to watch it.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can say what I think we shouldn't watch, but it would simply be my opinion. I avoid horrors/slasher/cult movies. Like Chucky, Jason, The Ring...etc. They seem to demonic to me. That and they aren't really scary, just boring. Though mostly because they are to demonic feeling.

Now we can't say "anything" is acceptable because technically that would include NC-17/inappropriate content movies. And I highly doubt any christian would be ok with watching those kinds of movies. Though you could get into "Whats the difference between inappropriate content and a movie like the extended uncut version of "Nymphomaniac"?". Because even though thats a movie, the uncut version shows everything a inappropriate content movie would. So should we see movies with lots of sex? My feeling is while its not the best thing to see, I don't care if the sex doesn't show like actual genitals or genitals going um "into" other genitals. Though butts are fine with me and breasts. Not sure why I don't consider breasts inappropriate contentographic. Probably because they just seem natural since they primary function is feeding a baby.

But as stated there is no "list" really. Its all up to you. If you some hesitation about wanting to see a movie then its probably best to listen to that hesitation because its probably the Holy Spirit knocking on your head saying "Don't see it!".

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But as stated there is no "list" really. Its all up to you. If you some hesitation about wanting to see a movie then its probably best to listen to that hesitation because its probably the Holy Spirit knocking on your head saying "Don't see it!".

Overall, this is a suggestion I wholeheartedly stand behind.

Now we can't say "anything" is acceptable because technically that would include NC-17/inappropriate content movies. And I highly doubt any christian would be ok with watching those kinds of movies. Though you could get into "Whats the difference between inappropriate content and a movie like the extended uncut version of "Nymphomaniac"?". Because even though thats a movie, the uncut version shows everything a inappropriate content movie would. So should we see movies with lots of sex?

This was discussed on the previous page: viewer intent plays a huge role here. You can watch a movie with sexual content and not be titillated or aroused. I watch movies for reasons such as their stories or for the filmmaker directing it, and sometimes those movies happen to have nudity or sexual content. I saw (the theatrical cut of) 'Nymphomaniac' solely because I usually enjoy Lars Von Trier's films and had seen the previous entries in the film trilogy of which 'Nymphomaniac' was a part of. I did not buy a ticket with the anticipation of strictly seeing sex, nor were any feelings of lust aroused while I was watching it (considering most of the "sex" was actually CGI-ed, it's pretty hard to find eroticism in that). I was watching a movie, one with a story and characters, and that movie happened to have sexual content. Whether I'm watching 'Nymphomaniac' or something more innocuous like the nude scene in 'Titanic', am I to be judged on the same level as someone who would watch a inappropriate content clip on the internet specifically for their own sexual gratification?

Provided, I'm probably in a minority here of people heavy into independent/arthouse/foreign/underground cinema where sex is a topic of humanity frequently explored both viscerally and thematically, so that's the perspective I'm coming from. Someone like me who's familiar with the films of Pier Paolo Pasolini or Dusan Makavejev will have a vastly different reaction to 'Nymphomaniac' than someone who typically watches mainstream romantic comedies or Oscar-winners. However, I feel the same could possibly be true of the latter, all depending on the intent of their viewing. Short of snuff films or plotless inappropriate content loops, there's really nothing that can be definitively put on a "don't watch" list...after all, there are several people on this site who say that Disney films are Satanic, so 99% of this argument really boils down to subjectivity.

Upvote 0

BookofMatt

Jesus is Lord
Nov 7, 2012
California
✟37,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thats true. Intent matters. Most don't watch inappropriate content for the acting, storyline and cinematography lol. I know when I see sex in regular movies it doens't do anything to me. Its just part of the movie.

Well, not that I'm advocating watching inappropriate content, but back in the '70s and early '80s, sex was sometimes secondary to story. Believe it or not, there were a good number of inappropriate content films which were released in both "X" and sexless "R"-rated cuts because they actually did have stories and artistic merit. That's rarely - if ever - the case today, though. A fan of arthouse cinema could have a reason to watch an "adult" movie from the '70s, but there's no reason to watch any modern inappropriate content except for sexual gratification. Provided, intent still plays a role: I'm not going to intentionally seek out artsy inappropriate content or even overtly sex-based films under the guise of "watching it for the story". I likely would not have seen 'Nymphomaniac' had it not been directed by Von Trier or had a cast of actors I enjoy, though it's not like the allure of sex does anything for me. Like yourself, sex in movies simply doesn't have any effect on me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NWOWolfpac

May 31, 2011
✟15,515.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think?
I have felt like God wants me to change my watching habits and was wondering what you all thought?
What is your moral guideline for what you watch?
Go to kidsinmind.com. It shows you how much sex, violence and language is in any given movie on a 1-10 scale. It also describes in detail what is in it exactly. I think inappropriate content, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, and shows of their ilk shouldn't be watched. Soft core inappropriate contentography isn't good for anybody. Generally for me if (according to kidsinmind) a film is an 8 in nudity, and sex, then I won't see it. Like Deadpool. Too much sex. Looks great though. Can't bring myself to watch it.

Reactions: Michelle271
Upvote 0

Michelle271

Nov 22, 2018
Rustenburg
✟7,802.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you think?
I have felt like God wants me to change my watching habits and was wondering what you all thought?
What is your moral guideline for what you watch?

I believe that everyone is going through a sanctification process. We have to be holy like God (1Pet1:16). We cannot love the world and worldly things. We love the kingdom of God. It doesn't mean we have to be sad and droopy through life. It just means we have to be aware of what we feed our souls. Everyone's relationship with God is different, because we all have different personalities and are at different stages of spiritual growth. The Lord says in Hosea 4:6 my people are destroyed from a lack of knowledge. We have to equip ourselves.

So my answer, if the Lord is telling you to watch certain movies be obedient and do as the Spirit leads you. Remember what you feed your soul is who you become. Feed it with all that is good, pure, etc (Philippians 4)

Also be aware of the doors you open for Satan. By watching certain movies or listening to certain music you give him a foothold.

For me and my house will serve the Lord. In all that you do serve the Lord.

I don't watch any movies that has things in it that God didn't create.

Upvote 0