timechangers

Jul 17, 2016
indiana
✟15,428.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A fiery hell under the earth where the human soul will be tormented for eternally is a doctrine of devils. It's not biblical.
Revelation 21:8 is a clear verse about the lake of fire. Also Revelation 20:11-15 talks about the judgement and the lake of fire. If our names are not found written in the book of life we will be cast into the lake of fire, Revelation 20:15. Jesus came to the Earth though so we can be forgiven of our sins and not have to go to the lake of fire, John 3:17.

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whoever is saying that Hell doesnt actually exist has obviously not actually read the Bible, or is really saying that the Bible is lying, for Hell is clearly mentioned in the Bible several times. But I guess that's just God lying to us to "scare us into submission" as one user said, right? :scratch::doh:
"Hell" is mentioned in the NT one time by Peter when he writes about the abode of fallen angels ("Tartarus") awaiting judgment (2 Peter 2:4). Gehenna, commonly translated "hell", is mentioned in the NT 12 times (11 times by Jesus & once by James). Gehenna is derived from a valley nearby Jerusalem that originally belonged to a man named Hinnom. “This was a valley near Jerusalem, and appears to have held this name perhaps as far back as the time of Joshua. This valley was used by the more idolatrous kings of Judah as a place where they would sacrifice their own children to the god Moloch. It may also have been the location where, in a single night, the Messenger of Yahweh killed a massive number of Assyrians from the army of Sennacherib. Going from there, it was traditionally associated with the location Isaiah refers to in his final chapter ('they shall go out' implies exiting Jerusalem into the valley), where *dead* bodies are devoured by unquenchable fire (i.e. fire that does not stop burning until it has completely consumed everything in its path) and undying worms (i.e. the maggots that unceasingly feast upon corpses). In ancient Aramaic translations of this chapter of Isaiah, the dead bodies are explicitly stated to be in the Valley of Hinnom, where the wicked suffered the 'second death'. Jesus confirms the traditional association by describing the Valley of Hinnom in the same way Isaiah describes the location filled with unquenchable fire and maggots. The Valley of Hinnom is only ever used by Jesus (with a single, extraneous usage by James) when speaking to his fellow Jews. He uses it especially when warning them about sinning unrepentantly. Jesus uses the Valley of Hinnom because it had become a common symbol for God's divine punishment. In this sense, it is analogous to the lake of fire (especially since both are referred to as the 'second death'). According to Jesus, God is able to destroy both body and soul in the Valley of Hinnom.” (“The History of Hell” by Mark Edward). See Joshua 18:16, 2 Kings 23:10 and 2 Chron. 33:6. I’d like to emphasize Luke 12:5 where it states that *after* God has killed the wicked ones, He has authority to cast the wicked *dead* into “hell” (actually, Gehenna), which is why it is called the “second death”—the dead body goes through a second death in the unquenchable fire that devours the dead body until it has been completely consumed.

Upvote 0

marineimaging

Texas Baptist now living in Colorado
Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms? Or is it something much more terrifying than we could ever imagine? Will it be a suffocating darkness where a lost soul will always be filled with constant dread and a never ending conscience biting at him to suffer alone with no company of demons or other damned souls wondering forever in darkness? I assume the afterlife is a big mystery to us, that we cannot comprehend what lies ahead of that veil, whether it be heaven or hell. A spiritual realm that differs from our current reality, that what we find on the other side will blow our expections away. Also do you think there are levels of suffering in hell? For example will a murderer suffer more than a robber? And one more question
Also why can't a person in hell repent and be saved? Is it because our will is fixed when we die? The state we die in is the state we will meet our maker in? Is hell closed from the inside as C.S Lewis put it? What do you guys think?
Does anyone else agree that the soul is destined to hell if there is no action by anyone or by God. That sinless Jesus died at the hands of man to be the final sacrifice so that we could live free of eternal hell if we believe in Him. That His death was sufficient and the debt of mankind was paid by him. That he took our sins to hell and buried them for all of mankind to then be given the chance to live eternally with God in Heaven? That to refuse Him is to accept the eternal death away from His presence, a death already prepared for all of mankind without Him? Or am I the only one that grasped that idea from what I have read in the Holy Word of God?

• Agree
Reactions: BukiRob
Upvote 0

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A God who commands love and loyalty of his Children but tortures those who spurn his love, does not have even the love he commands of his creation. The true God is Love. The God of Love cannot do the ungodlike thing.
God did not condemn mankind, we did a good job all on our own. It doesn't take anything to go to hell, including God's condemnation. It takes our acceptance of Jesus Christ to be rerouted away from hell to be with Him eternally. Again, it resides with US to do the action. Jesus already did His part.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms? Or is it something much more terrifying than we could ever imagine? Will it be a suffocating darkness where a lost soul will always be filled with constant dread and a never ending conscience biting at him to suffer alone with no company of demons or other damned souls wondering forever in darkness? I assume the afterlife is a big mystery to us, that we cannot comprehend what lies ahead of that veil, whether it be heaven or hell. A spiritual realm that differs from our current reality, that what we find on the other side will blow our expections away. Also do you think there are levels of suffering in hell? For example will a murderer suffer more than a robber? And one more question
Also why can't a person in hell repent and be saved? Is it because our will is fixed when we die? The state we die in is the state we will meet our maker in? Is hell closed from the inside as C.S Lewis put it? What do you guys think?

Whenever anyone presents on this subject of Hell there are those who are bound to ask, "How do you reconcile the doctrine of Hell with the fact that God is a God of love?" I answer with this question, "How do we know that God is love?" We know this only from the Bible. If the Bible is not true we have no proof that God is love. If you reject what the Bible says about Hell you must in simple logic give up your belief that God is love. If the Bible is not true, we have no real proof that there is either a Heaven or a Hell. If the Bible is true about Heaven, it is also true about Hell.

Hell is a lake of fire (Revelation 20:15). A devouring fire (Isaiah 33:14). A bottomless pit (Rev. 20:1). Everlasting burnings (Isaiah 33:14). A furnace of fire (Matthew 13:41,42). A place of torments (Luke 16:23). Where they curse God (Revelation 16:11). Where they can never repent (Matthew 12:32). A place where they have no rest (Revelation 14:11). A place of everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46). A place of blackness of darkness forever (Jude 13). A place where they gnaw their tongues (Revelation 16:10). A place where their breath will be a living flame (Isaiah 33:11). A place prepared for the Devil and his angels (Matthew 25:41). A lake of fire into which the Antichrist and the False Prophet are cast alive (Revelation 19:20). A place from which the smoke of their torment ascends up forever and forever (Revelation 14:11). A place where they drink the wrath of God (Revelation 14:10). A place where they do not want their loved ones to come (Luke 16:28). A place where there are murderers, liars, and the abominable (Revelation 21:8). "Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

JESUS ON HELL
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves" (Matthew 23:15).

"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:33).

Abraham in paradise speaks with the rich man in Hades: “'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.' (Luke 16:25-27)

At death, God apparently judges us immediately and we go to the afterlife place where we fit in. Hebrews 9:27 reads: "...it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment." And as Jesus told the believing thief on the cross next to Him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: marineimaging
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,820.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Whenever anyone presents on this subject of Hell there are those who are bound to ask, "How do you reconcile the doctrine of Hell with the fact that God is a God of love?" I answer with this question, "How do we know that God is love?" We know this only from the Bible. If the Bible is not true we have no proof that God is love. If you reject what the Bible says about Hell you must in simple logic give up your belief that God is love. If the Bible is not true, we have no real proof that there is either a Heaven or a Hell. If the Bible is true about Heaven, it is also true about Hell.

Hell is a lake of fire (Rev. 20:15). A devouring fire (Isaiah 33:14). A bottomless pit (Rev. 20:1). Everlasting burnings (Isaiah 33:14). A furnace of fire (Matt. 13:41,42). A place of torments (Luke 16:23). Where they curse God (Rev. 16:11). Where they can never repent (Matt. 12:32). A place where they have no rest (Rev. 14:11). A place of everlasting punishment (Matt. 25:46). A place of blackness of darkness forever (Jude 13). A place where they gnaw their tongues (Rev. 16:10). A place where their breath will be a living flame (Isaiah 33:11). A place prepared for the Devil and his angels (Matt. 25:41). A lake of fire into which the Antichrist and the False Prophet are cast alive (Rev. 19:20). A place from which the smoke of their torment ascends up forever and forever (Rev. 14:11). A place where they drink the wrath of God (Rev. 14:10). A place where they do not want their loved ones to come (Luke 16:28). A place where there are murderers, liars, the fearful and abominable (Rev. 21:8).

JESUS ON HELL
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" (Matthew 10:28).

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves" (Matthew 23:15).

"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:33).

Abraham in paradise speaks with the rich man in Hades: “'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.' (Luke 16:25-27)

At death, God apparently judges us immediately and we go to the afterlife place where we fit in. Hebrews 9:27 reads: "...it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment." And as Jesus told the believing thief on the cross next to Him, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)

Again the doctrine that man is immortal..... Yeesh... there is absolutely 0 scriptural evidence that man is immortal.

Secondly, it is exceedingly dangerous to build a doctrine by using a PARABLE and taking it as literal. You dont do that with any other parable do you?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
God did not condemn mankind, we did a good job all on our own. It doesn't take anything to go to hell, including God's condemnation. It takes our acceptance of Jesus Christ to be rerouted away from hell to be with Him eternally. Again, it resides with US to do the action. Jesus already did His part.
I agree, the question is "what is Hell", is it death eternal or would Jesus torture us with fire for an eternity?

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

Hell is a lake of fire (Rev. 20:15). A devouring fire (Isaiah 33:14). A bottomless pit (Rev. 20:1). Everlasting burnings (Isaiah 33:14). A furnace of fire (Matthew 13:41,42). A place of torments (Luke 16:23). Where they curse God (Revelation 16:11). Where they can never repent (Matthew 12:32). A place where they have no rest (Revelation 14:11). A place of everlasting punishment (Matthew 25:46). A place of blackness of darkness forever (Jude 13). A place where they gnaw their tongues (Revelation 16:10). A place where their breath will be a living flame (Isaiah 33:11). A place prepared for the Devil and his angels (Matthew 25:41). A lake of fire into which the Antichrist and the False Prophet are cast alive (Revelation 19:20). A place from which the smoke of their torment ascends up forever and forever (Revelation 14:11). A place where they drink the wrath of God (Revelation 14:10). A place where they do not want their loved ones to come (Luke 16:28). A place where there are murderers, liars, the fearful and abominable (Revelation 21:8).

JESUS ON HELL

We don't need the Bible to realize that God is Love, that he is good and just. The Bible that we have today began at best with Moses's writing. Before that plenty of people found God through searching in spirit. God has always been available in the hearts of his children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marineimaging

Jul 14, 2014
Ward, Colorado
Visit site
✟90,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Again the doctrine that man is immortal..... Yeesh... there is absolutely 0 scriptural evidence that man is immortal.

Secondly, it is exceedingly dangerous to build a doctrine by using a PARABLE and taking it as literal. You dont do that with any other parable do you?
Rather than scoff, can you provide scripture to support your position because Dr. Atkinson not only presents scripture, he presents the SAME scripture we bring when discussing this subject in our classes at church. So, whereas I see his position as being well documented, I see yours as typical of many persons coming out of today's genre of feel good Christianity. And I am not being critical, I am asking from where do you acquire your knowledge the he is wrong and you are justified in your scoffing?

Upvote 0

Mark Noo

Jan 4, 2017
Oregon
✟11,104.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Imagine, God must send the Rich man to hell and save Lazarus, the Richs are not a bandit, neither a corruptor or a robber, he just doesnt share his Wealth, in the world all provided by God.

May Jesus bless you all HalleluYAH

I agree. I don't think making a lot of money is the problem. Unless, of course, you are cheating people. I think God owns the cattle on a thousand hills and if he has given you more cattle than other people it is so you can be a blessing to others. Being rich means that you have decided to keep it all for yourself or that you have kept most of it and have only done some "token" giving.

Lately I have been thinking a lot about one of the reasons giving for killing David and Bathsheba's child. I heard a sermon on it a while back. The preacher said that it was partly done because David had given Gods enemies a chance to mock him. I think when Children of Wrath see a rich, or a drunkard, or otherwise badly behaving Christian it does the same.

Anyway, I got a little off track.

We know that there is going to be a judging of everything we have said and done. The good things we have done will be treasure for us in Heavan and the bad things will be burnt away. We won't be judged for the bad but we won't get credit for them. Do you think the same is true for Hell. We won't go to Hell but we all know people who will be going to Hell. Do you think there is a worse Hell for a terrorist than there is for your run-of-the-mill atheist.

I heard a discussion on this from RC Sproul and didn't quite follow it because other people were talking in the room. It was a podcast/radio sort of thing.

Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Today's "feel good" Christianity compared to yesterday's "feel bad" Christianity? People fealt good and greatful for the good news of Jesus. People who had lived under the yoke of Judaism received the teachings of Jesus like water on parched earth!

I have to wonder if the grumpy Jews referred to Jesus as that carpenter with his feel good gospel?

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,820.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Rather than scoff, can you provide scripture to support your position because Dr. Atkinson not only presents scripture, he presents the SAME scripture we bring when discussing this subject in our classes at church. So, whereas I see his position as being well documented, I see yours as typical of many persons coming out of today's genre of feel good Christianity. And I am not being critical, I am asking from where do you acquire your knowledge the he is wrong and you are justified in your scoffing?
I did make reference to 1 Cor. He is the one conflating a parable and outright of thin air asserts immortality as a default condition of mortal man.

13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. 14 And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. 15 We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. 17 And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.

51 Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we shall be changed. 53 For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. 54 When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

“Death is swallowed up in victory.”
55“O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?”

#1) Paul is clearly teaching that man is MORTAL and that immortality is not innately a part of his being. #2) he further emphasizes this point by telling us that immortality must be "put on" Here, Paul is leaving no room for any opinion other than, Man is 100% mortal and apart from G-d we simply can not posses or obtain immortality.

Upvote 0

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Below I quoted the bible, where is mentioned that there is a place from which condemned humans cannot return to the living. Sounds like some prison to me. So if someone say to me that Hell ain't real I am not sure what you believe. Also, bible also writes satan is imprisoned for a 1000 years, then released. Inmagine, if you share the same place with satan for 1000 years. I guess human can be evil, but sharing your place for 1000 years with someone who is most evil.... this is going to be a torture!

Luke 16:19–31, New International Version:

“ 19“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27“He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30“‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

What I learnt and this may be quite liberating to some, hell does not exist in the sense that many of us have understood it to be. Hell in Christendom as perceived by many is a very bad interpretation of Bible scripture. This whole doctrine of eternal torment in hell came from the dark ages and is a contorted version of influenced Greek mythology, and made popular through art and poetry like Dante's Inferno and some Christian sermons like "Sinners in the hands of an angry God."

In the Bible there is no such place. Satan is not the ruler of hell like Hades is the ruler of the underworld. It does speak of a "bottomless pit" (Revelation 9:1), but this refers to a place where God had chained the fallen angels reserved for judgement day. (Jude 6; Genesis 6:2). Hell in the Bible is depicted rather as a punishment that will come upon the wicked; And that punishment, the Bible gives us an example of what this punishment would be from what God did to Sodom and Gomorrah as God rained fire and brimstone from heaven onto the earth. (Genesis 19:24; Revelation 20:9).

The wicked will be judged and punished by hellfire and will die, not be tortured forever. I'd encourage you to read this good article on how hell became eternal: The Salvation Conspiracy: How Hell Became Eternal

What Does Jesus Mean by 'Their Worm Does Not Die' (Mark 9:44, 46, 48)?

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

theclanofharris

Dec 15, 2016
Live Oak, FL
✟15,402.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

Mark Noo

Jan 4, 2017
Oregon
✟11,104.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

What then, is the curse? I am not following. We did take death on ourselves by eating the fruit. Isn't the curse our condemnation. Our punishment, and like you said that is our natural state and our natural path is to Hell. With Christ as our Savior.
So I am confused. How are we condemned if not by the curse?

Upvote 0

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No one cursed us as far as I know. God just gave a command. Do not eat or you will surely die. Curse means God directly cursed us. And He did not. What happened is disobeyed and our flesh started to die. God did came and looked for Adam and Eve. I guess He was hoping that they would ask for forgiveness, but they didn't

Cursing means: to speak something bad like a curse of death upon someone.

What then, is the curse? I am not following. We did take death on ourselves by eating the fruit. Isn't the curse our condemnation. Our punishment, and like you said that is our natural state and our natural path is to Hell. With Christ as our Savior.
So I am confused. How are we condemned if not by the curse?

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The concept of Hell as a place of eternal torment is not a teaching from Scripture. Hades, in the Bible, is the grave. The idea of eternal torment has as it's premise the idea that man has an immortal soul. That, however, is not what the Scriptures teach. The gift of eternal life is only given to those who believe, not those who choose not to believe. According to Scripture all will die and all will be resurrected. The believers will go into eternal life and those who reject God will be cast into the Lake of Fire and burned up.

• Agree
Reactions: BukiRob
Upvote 0