loNe

Mar 20, 2017
earth's prison
✟8,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Wow, I'm really surprised that a lot of you are basically implying that you don't believe in a literal place called Hell.. you reject the biblical teaching that there is a place of unspeakable pain and torment where those who have rejected God spend eternity?

well put, love
...- many refuse the idea of a hell, mistakenly using their dualistic thinking that 'God could not do that'.
But the réason for that thinking is 'because they have no Clue just hów evil Evil is'.
they have some vague, abstract idea about it [which should then per definition be the same towards Him, as well...] ,

but i tell you, i can read hieroglyphs [as only one the right way; that is not a joke and yes i have a site, and yes there is a devious réason why they were never translated right],
...and if i read inthere the utter deviousness of what the fallen ones did to adam and eve - and to ÚS - , and their bloodline in humankind [canaanites] enjoying those slaughterhouses [of us!], burning in firealtars , cutting off, splitting up, etc, everything Eden had

...then yes there is a hell [read Henoch]
but *only* for those, who willfully reject His light
and they tell that in the glyphs ! they don't even wánt His realm...

Upvote 0

Shane2336

Slave of Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2016
AZ (Most of the time)
✟33,669.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
I think the only certainty we have on the subject, and the only thing that matters really; is that those in Hell will experience eternal separation from God. The presence of fire, or torture, or darkness, is trivial and laughable in comparison to THAT.

Upvote 0

ChristianFromKazakhstan

Oct 9, 2016
ALMATY
✟29,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms? Or is it something much more terrifying than we could ever imagine? Will it be a suffocating darkness where a lost soul will always be filled with constant dread and a never ending conscience biting at him to suffer alone with no company of demons or other damned souls wondering forever in darkness? I assume the afterlife is a big mystery to us, that we cannot comprehend what lies ahead of that veil, whether it be heaven or hell. A spiritual realm that differs from our current reality, that what we find on the other side will blow our expections away. Also do you think there are levels of suffering in hell? For example will a murderer suffer more than a robber? And one more question
Also why can't a person in hell repent and be saved? Is it because our will is fixed when we die? The state we die in is the state we will meet our maker in? Is hell closed from the inside as C.S Lewis put it? What do you guys think?

I personally don't believe in a literal hell as a place of eternal torment in fire. I base my belief on the Bible. I see hades as allegory of souls ceasing to exist. It's also called eternal destruction or perdition in the Bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms? Or is it something much more terrifying than we could ever imagine?
Hell is the Norse (English) name for the goddess of the dead, Hella, thus her abode just as it is for the Greek god of the dead, Hades and his abode. As said by another, it is not the place of torment, it is prison. The place of torment is the Lake of Fire of which no one goes until after the White Throne Judgment. After that both death and hell will be thrown into the Lake of Fire (Rev. 20:14). To be punished before being judged guilty would be unjust, hence hell is a prison, not a punishment.

Will it be a suffocating darkness where a lost soul will always be filled with constant dread and a never ending conscience biting at him to suffer alone with no company of demons or other damned souls wondering forever in darkness?
There is an outer darkness, and Hell may be the same, and their conscience may well be a source of torment, but there are no devils in hell. They are in the spirit dimension here on Earth.

Also do you think there are levels of suffering in hell? For example will a murderer suffer more than a robber?
There seems to be some indication of this but I do not know.

And one more question
Also why can't a person in hell repent and be saved? Is it because our will is fixed when we die? The state we die in is the state we will meet our maker in? Is hell closed from the inside as C.S Lewis put it?
Apparently hardness of heart in belief will be fixed and unchanging. In the story of Lazarus Abraham said that they have Moses and the prophets, they would not believe even if someone came back from the dead. Also, when Jesus preached the gospel to the dead, only those who died in faith left hell. The rest remained unbelieving.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To understand the severity of hell, you can just look at Jesus on the cross, what he went through to free mankind from hell. He suffered hell on that cross. Is it a physical place or annihilation of the wicked? I don't know. You can get crazy about thinking of hell, so it's better to focus on God's love, his mercy, and his willingness to save all men. Jesus's love for mankind is way beyond anything we can imagine. The gates to heaven are wide open for everyone who wants to enter!

gtogategraphic.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms?

Hell is a wide range of conditions, but there is a lake of fire. It says regarding a baptism of fire in Luke:

{3:16} John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to
unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: {3:17} Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

So that God is the only one who will baptize with the Holy Ghost and also with fire. And that God went into the heart of the earth in Matthew:

{12:38} Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. {12:39} But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: {12:40} For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

This is something not well taught since it is little in the Bible, and there is a lot of mention of a lake of fire, which kills the spirit and is called the second death. Such that we will almost certainly die of the body a first death, and for some it says will die spiritually a second death in a lake of fire. And that God can deliver us from our sins thru Jesus the Christ. It says in Revelation:

{2:10} Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast [some] of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life. {2:11} He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms? Or is it something much more terrifying than we could ever imagine? Will it be a suffocating darkness where a lost soul will always be filled with constant dread and a never ending conscience biting at him to suffer alone with no company of demons or other damned souls wondering forever in darkness? I assume the afterlife is a big mystery to us, that we cannot comprehend what lies ahead of that veil, whether it be heaven or hell. A spiritual realm that differs from our current reality, that what we find on the other side will blow our expections away. Also do you think there are levels of suffering in hell? For example will a murderer suffer more than a robber? And one more question
Also why can't a person in hell repent and be saved? Is it because our will is fixed when we die? The state we die in is the state we will meet our maker in? Is hell closed from the inside as C.S Lewis put it? What do you guys think?

I have a distinct impression that hell is listening to a sermon from someone who thinks he knows what he is talking about when it is patently obvious he doesn't.

That aside, hell is something that a person chooses. I tell the story of the atheist who died and appeared before the judgment seat with Jesus sitting on it. When the atheist sees him he asks "Who are you?" Jesus replies "Your worst nightmare."

If you have spent most of your life railing against God and his son Jesus, why would you want to spend eternity in their presence? That would be the last thing you would want and pride would not allow you to admit your need to do that.

Atheists do not realise they are creating a hell for themselves that will last forever. Once they discover this, it will be too late. I believe that God will give everyone a second chance in the tribulation and many will acknowledge God during that time and be saved, but those who refuse him a second time then, have only themselves to blame for the predicament they will end up in.

Upvote 0

Sine Nomine

Scientist and Christian
Jun 13, 2012
Albany, NY
✟26,489.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

You set up a choice, possibly a false one, between hell as a literal place or something worse. The more open questions might be like these. What is hell? What did Jesus mean when he talked about hell?

Jesus spoke in terms of the grave (Sheol), being dead and of Gehenna (a dump of burning trash). The first is literal, humans die and are buried. The second seems figurative, some things must perish are only trash, only fit for burning. There is wisdom in his words for those who can hear.

Jesus also said Hades, this should cause some puzzlement. Hades is not a Jewish concept, but one that was pervasive in the Greco-Roman world. Was Jesus using familiar concepts to teach something? Was he saying the Greeks were basically right about Hades? Was he providing literal facts or provoking thought?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Theo Book

Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Central Florida
✟59,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is hell or hades a literal place where the souls of the damned reside, filled with fire and worms? Or is it something much more terrifying than we could ever imagine?[/quot]

The English translated form "Hell" is a translation of at least three words in scripture; Hebrew "Sheol;" Greek "Tartarus" and Greek "Hades."

Consider:
Gen 3:5 For Elohim (God) doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as Elohim (gods), knowing good and evil.

Gen 3:22 And Jehovah (the LORD) Elohim (God) said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: 23 Therefore Jehovah (the LORD) Elohim (God) sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

Psa 82:6 I have said, Ye are Elohim (gods); and all of you are children of the most High.

John 10:34 (Quoting Psa 82:6) Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are Elohim (gods)? 35 If he called them Elohim (gods), unto whom the word of Elohim (God) came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

Psa 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the Elohim (angels), and hast crowned him with glory and honour. 6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: 7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; 8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas. 9 O Jehovah (LORD) our Adone (Lord), how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

Oikeeteerion [Strong's #3613]
Though God created Adam in flesh, it was never his intention that flesh and blood would inherit a kingdom intended for spiritual inhabitants. Indeed, he stands ready to exchange our clothing of flesh and mortality for an eternal clothing of incorruption and immortality. [II Cor 5:1-4][I Cor 15:42-54]

It was always God's plan to provide a "way of escape" for flesh, so his creation could be justified from a spiritual perspective rather than from a fleshly one, "For in thy sight shall no man living be justified." [Psa 143:2]

God originally created two types of spiritual beings; one he called "Elohiym," [Psa 8:5] who were clothed in "oikeeteerion" [Jude 6]; the other he called "Man," who, clothed in corruptible mortal flesh, waits to be clothed upon from heaven with that same "oikeeteerion." [II Cor 5:1-2][Oikeeteerion = Strong's #3613]

For man to be clothed with oikeeteerion REQUIRES more than original creation by which he was "clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life [II Cor 5:1-2]; it requires in fact, first, a "putting off of the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ" [Col 2:11]; and we are counted as circumcised with Christ, who are baptized into Christ, wherein we also rise with him. [Col 2:12]

Jesus was the first man raised from the dead; the first to "Put on immortality;" The first to "Put on incorruption; the first fruit of them that slept [I Cor 15:20]; the first born from the dead [Col 1:18]; firstborn among many brethren [Rom 8:29]; and therefore was the first man to both die and not see corruption, and the first man to put on the oikeeteerion which is from heaven, and which is worn by the elohiym.

Paul tells us we who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ [Gal 3:27] and if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection [Rom 6:5]; which we attain in baptism [Rom 6:3-4]; it remains for us to so live that it is no longer I that lives, but Christ living in me [Gal 2:20]. Any man in Christ is a "new creature." [II Cor 5:17]

With Christ as our high priest, and we being in Christ, a priesthood [I Pet 2:9], God expects us to crucify our flesh in living sacrifice with Christ [Gal 2:20][Rom 12:1-2] So that as Christ in the world we may present ourselves justified by the blood of the crucified Christ, by our faith therein, by the grace of the God who designed the plan, the logos.

I Cor 15:42 "It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption;
43 "It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory;
It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power;
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body.

I Cor 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

I Cor 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

I Cor 15:54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

II Cor 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our (oikeeteerion) house which is from heaven: 3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. 4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

I Cor 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their (oikeeteerion) first estate), but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

II Cor 5:2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our oikeeteerion (house) which is from heaven: 3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

II Cor 5:4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

I Cor 15:53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

Jude 5-6 I will therefore put you in remembrance, though ye once knew this, how that the Lord, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, afterward destroyed them that believed not. 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own oikeeteerion [habitation], he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

II Pet 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to tartarwsa [hell], and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;

I Pet 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

II Cor 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our oikeeteerion [house] which is from heaven: 3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.

I Cor 15:51 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, 52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. 53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. 54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

Gen 1-2 synopsys
God created Adam and Eve, male and female he created them and placed them in the garden of Eden, and instructed them that they could freely eat of every tree except one in the midst of the garden (2:9). But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, they were forbidden access thereunto, being warned that "in the day that thou shalt eat thereof thou shalt surely die."

Gen 6:1-8 synopsys
After developing the account of the fall of man and his consequent expulsion from Eden, God begins the story of man's ultimate failure to survive in a moral setting; having become involved with the abomination of mixing with angels in unholy marriages.

Satan's attempt to counterfeit God's plan for salvation through an intermingling arrangement of marriage and begetting of a hybrid race, was defeated by God's action of flooding the Earth and destroying the demonic offspring by water.

Gen 6:1-2 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

II Pet 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; 5 And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;

II Pet 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:

Genesis 6:1-8,11-13,17 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. 3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. 5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Gen 6:8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD.
Gen 6:11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. 13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth. 17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die.

Mat 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

30 And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.

31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.

32 And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.

Mat 12:43 When the unclean spirit is gone out of a man, he walketh through dry places, seeking rest, and findeth none.

Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: 5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Psa 82:6 I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods? 35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken; 36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

II Cor 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

Psa 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? 5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Will it be a suffocating darkness where a lost soul will always be filled with constant dread and a never ending conscience biting at him to suffer alone with no company of demons or other damned souls wondering forever in darkness? I assume the afterlife is a big mystery to us, that we cannot comprehend what lies ahead of that veil, whether it be heaven or hell. A spiritual realm that differs from our current reality, that what we find on the other side will blow our expections away. Also do you think there are levels of suffering in hell? For example will a murderer suffer more than a robber? And one more question

We are told "Today is the day of salvation." It is a reference to this day of our life in flesh. It is our training time. It is the testing of our free-will learning experience and exercise thereof, to learn to make righteous choices.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hell is an actual place. The damned are there, though demons can wander loose to a certain extent.
There is a "lake of fire" in Hell. Don't know about the worms other than that Jesus mentioned them.
The damned are filled with guilt and hate, and no, they cannot repent, because they do not want to.
Though they loathe the situation they are in, they loathe God more, and that is why they are in Hell in the first place.
There are differing levels of suffering in Hell, not that it really makes much difference.

Upvote 0

PottersHands

Jan 4, 2017
Minnesota
✟24,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A friend of mine went through a two year period where evil spirits were appearing around him regularly. He was on many drugs yes and everyone always says, "Well there you go, sounds like schizophrenia." However, I know two people who were with him and saw a 10 foot tall black spirit. He sent me pictures. I erased them because they were so bad. When they were there the room would often smell horrible, a room would turn freezing cold. They would often scream. I was on the phone with him once and heard the scream. I said, "What was that? He said, What, don't do that you're freaking me out." He didn't hear it. He went through treatment a third time and a good soul with degrees in Biology and physics convinced him that we can't exist without a God to support life. He actually said to me Praise Jesus. When this happened the "bugs" (as I call them) went away. The bugs, in my opinion come from a very, very bad place and they are very focused on us. So the idea that we will die and just be left alone to wander on our own is a flawed concept I hear from many atheist friends. I don't know if this experience came to me from God or from Satan, I"m honestly not sure. I'm thankful that I was part of this because I helped my friend come back to Jesus. Deciding what hell looks like is less important to me than avoiding the "bugs".

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had a very mild taste of hell and it was an extremely unpleasant experience. I describe it as the absence of God's Good Light and presence. Today, God's Good Light shines on the just and the unjust and is taken for granted by the world. Not until that Good Light is taken away will people understand how thankful they should be to have this light. In The Book of Jude
Jude.1 Verses 13 to 21

1. [13] Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.
    [14] And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
    [15] To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.
    [16] These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage.
    [17] But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;
    [18] How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.
    [19] These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
    [20] But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
    [21] Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
Being in darkness means both the literal meaning as well as the lack of illumination to The Truth. In the last of the ten plagues of Egypt, the Egyptians were in complete darkness and it was a darkness that could be felt. This must have been a terrifying experience for them.
Exod.10

1. [21] And the LORD said unto Moses, Stretch out thine hand toward heaven, that there may be darkness over the land of Egypt, even darkness which may be felt.
God's Word tells us to seek God The Father with all of our heart, mind and strength. Seek and you shall find. I don't ever want to taste of hell again. It seems like all of the teachings that I have received by The Lord I had to learn the hard way. God's Word teaches that sometimes to bring a brother or Sister back from a wayward path needs to be done in love. Sometimes fear needs to be used as a motivator. I absolutely know that Heaven and hell are real since I have tasted of both. I pray often for The Lord to make me obedient in every way to God's Word. Man shall live by every Word that proceeds from The Mouth of God. Since God is the same yesterday, today and forever, it's me that always needs to grow to be more like my Lord and Savior Jesus The Christ. I can't grow myself. It's Christ who is the beginning and end of our faith.

Upvote 0

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is hell or hades ...
People will debate literal/metaphoric....

Have you ever had a momentary thought/memory where you had a physical reaction to it. It is one of those moments where you did something really stupid, hurtful, mean..etc? You cringe, jerk, mutter something under your breath. Now imagine that for a timeless eternity. No further explanations are necessary if you have tasted hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,913.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just throwing in Mark 9:43-48

The phrase that repeats 3x in some iterations: "Where the worm does not die and the fire is unquenchable"

Now, worm might have an alternate meaning here. It could mean "soul" and not actual worms. Further, why would the worms never die and the fire never stop if everyone souls sent to hell is going to disappear forever? What would the purpose of having a Hell be for if nobody is there in it after a while? It would be an ugly thing that would serve no purpose. So on those points I think it is eternal torment and all there will endure it forever.

I am open to the idea of the wicked burning for a short time (relative to eternity and administered according to deeds) and then actually dying as atheists think of dying. I'm all for that too. Im just throwing ideas out.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had very many Spiritual experiences since I was called. I had always professed Christ and my wife and I were baptized again as adults after we had grown a bit a felt that we needed to be immersed for a proper baptism. I had proclaimed being born again from the age of around 20. However, I was not born again at that time. I had slowly drifted away from living an obedient life in Christ. When I was called, I was called by God The Father. I was put in a fast which I had no experience or understanding of at the time. It began on a Sunday and on the third day of this fast I opened my well worn and heavily highlighted Bible and the scales were removed from my eyes. I had a very supernatural experience and absolutely knew that everything that I had professed was absolutely real. I saw Christ everywhere I looked in God's Word. I was beyond excited. When my wife got home hours later I proclaimed that Christ was real. My wife looked at me kind of like "of course He is real and you have always believed that". I tried to tell her that I absolutely knew this truth and I remember how much I wanted her to see what I had seen. This was just the very beginning. My entire testimony is a long one and much of it involves very strong Spiritual Meat. Therefore, I can't just expose it all for three reasons. One is that strong meat for babes in Christ is not to be shared. The second and most important reason is that I have not been led to share it by my Lord Jesus The Christ. The third reason is the length of my story and The Scriptures that must be used in the sharing. Many incidents that had occurred earlier in my life that I had forgotten because in many cases they were mere brief moments and of no particular importance to me at the time they happened. For examples, we were at a church function of some sort and a man whom I had never seen before came up to me and asked me if I was born again. I responded with a simple yes to which he responded "I thought I was born again but I wasn't". This entire interaction lasted less than 30 seconds as I recall. I was about 21 as I recall when this happened. After I was truly born again, The Lord brought me back to that precise moment in my life and I UNDERSTOOD what that man was saying. Another similar example when I was about the same age occurred when I was out on the front porch of our church with a church elder. I had recently read The Scripture in Romans about predestination
Rom.8
  1. [29] For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
I asked the elder what that Verse meant and he said basically as I recall "well Jim I'll tell ya, the people that that verse is talking about know who they are". As I recall, I said something like "well it's not talking about me because I don't know" and left it at that. When I was truly born again, The Lord brought me back to that precise moment in time and I knew then that it was talking about me and others like the man in my first example. You can imagine my excitement. However, before any of this happened, I had to know and learn The Fear of The Lord. I was 36 when I was called and I'm 63 now.

Reactions: Abraxos
Upvote 0

Jonathan Mathews

Dec 5, 2015
Indianapolis
✟33,481.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hell is one of the most discussed topics in the entire Bible, especially by Jesus Christ, the Word of God in flesh.

Here are key words/phrases from the Bible. Use an exhaustive concordance such as Strong's to read the passages in the Bible with these words. The Strong's word numbers are added for convenience.

"Gehenna" (1067) (γέεννα. a valley of perpetually burning trash outside the city.)
"Tartarus" (5020) (ταρταρόω Greek. Mythology punishment under earth for Titans etc)
"Hades" (86) (ᾍδης Greek. Unseen place where the dead reside)
"Thanatos" (2288) (θάνατος Greek. Death, bodily and/or spiritually)
"Sheol" (7585) (Hebrew. Pit, under the earth,etc)
"limne tou pyros" (3041,3588,4442) (λίμνην τοῦ πυρός. literally "lake of fire")

Hell is the pre-Resurrection place of torture where demons and humans who reject God are held in darkness until the "Great White Throne" Judgement of God. It is characterized as being beneath the ground, a dark bottomless pit, in which one is both perpetually falling and burning. It is a place where the fires of the lust of the flesh are in full flame, but yet never able to be satisfied by any good thing, so much as a drop of water. As with all things "afterlife", Hell is eternal. Hell and it's occupants are eventually thrown into the Lake of Fire, but this cannot be considered the "end" to Hell because it is just an increase in torture, for now the fervor of the flaming flesh in which every damned soul is bound is now cast into a lake of fire, to perpetually burn but never be consumed. This is the eternal state of Satan, and all who follow after him.... trapped in eternal bodies of immense craving and flaming desire, yet completely unsatisfied in any way, and thrown alive into the burning lake to be eternally tortured both "internally" and "externally" in outer darkness.

According to the Word of God, Hell is just as real, literal, and eternal as the Paradise in the Kingdom of God is. In fact, Jesus gives more warnings about Hell then he did encouragements about Heaven.

Personally, God's Spirit showed me my destiny of Hell when I was 10. It was in a revival sermon and the preacher read every reference to Hell in the Bible. As he was reading, the Lord gave me a vision. I was walking in darkness with just enough light to see the path I was on. It was a rocky gravel path, and the end of the path (about 100 ft ahead of me) was a large, black, bottomless pit, about the size of half a football field. I was walking towards Hell as naturally as water runs down a sink towards the drain. Later in my Christian walk, God showed me that He is like the Sun that holds all the planets in orbit. God does not even have to throw you into Hell. All He has to do is stop holding you to Himself, and you will naturally be flung there yourself. "Going to Hell" is as simple as God letting go of you. Hell is God letting go of the created beings who despise Him, and letting them be flung alive into the fire prepared for Satan and his angels.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with what you said about God simply letting you go. A Christian Brother I fellowship with also experienced the bottomless pit in a vision as did my son. I was walking out of our bedroom one Friday night around 8:00 pm many years ago and in a moment before exiting I was suspended over the lake of fire. There was absolutely nothing that I could do about it. All God had to do was release me and I would have fallen into this seamingly endless lake of fire. When I was released from this vision I was terrified to say the least. However, in other visions I have visited Heaven. The best of those visions was one where I was with The Family of God The Father and we were watching Him create. The feeling of perfect love and security was the most wonderful experience I've ever had.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You need to remember that the NT was written in Greek, and the word for "eternal" or "forever" in Greek means "Aion". Now "Aion" basically means a long period of time, or a time unclear to measure.

For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be. But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the Lord shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away. (Psalm 37:10-20)

The unquenchable fire depicted in the Bible speaks of the fire, not the soul. The wicked will be tormented by hellfire, but the extent of how long he/she will be punished will be according to their sin (s), and then they will be no more.

It also means forever, or eternity.

Upvote 0