What exactly is hell?

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Burned up? That is not written in the bible is it? Eternal death as the bible says is not like what many people think: "There is nothing after death". Just like you said, being burned up is not biblical. No where is written that this what you write is true.

The concept of Hell as a place of eternal torment is not a teaching from Scripture. Hades, in the Bible, is the grave. The idea of eternal torment has as it's premise the idea that man has an immortal soul. That, however, is not what the Scriptures teach. The gift of eternal life is only given to those who believe, not those who choose not to believe. According to Scripture all will die and all will be resurrected. The believers will go into eternal life and those who reject God will be cast into the Lake of Fire and burned up.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Burned up? That is not written in the bible is it? Eternal death as the bible says is not like what many people think: "There is nothing after death". Just like you said, being burned up is not biblical. No where is written that this what you write is true.
What happens when someone is thrown into fire? However, yes it is in the Scriptures. Jesus quoted Isaiah when speaking of Gehenna.

23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.1 24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
(Isa. 66:1 KJV)

Notice what is burning in the fire. It is the dead bodies of those who transgress against the Lord

Upvote 0

Kutte

Dec 30, 2007
USA
✟31,666.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Green
What exactly is hell?
Well this question can be answered easily. Hell as well as paradise are not places but strictly a state of the mind. It has to do with feelings.
Hell can be experienced in our present life. Depending on certain circumstances, it may drive one to commit suicide.
The vision of paradise too drives people to suicide mission. Remember those Muslim extremists?
God bless

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Old Testament, *sheol* refers to “the grave” (cf. Num. 16:30,33; Ps. 16:10). Everyone went to Sheol when they died, not just the wicked. Sheol was not a “place of suffering” for we see Job asking to go there to escape suffering. Also, International Standard Bible Encyclopedia refers to it as “the unseen world” and Young’s Analytical Concordance refers to it as “the unseen state.”

The Greek word *hades* means “the grave” not “hell.” The word *hades*, often translated as “hell,” came into biblical usage when the Septuagint translators chose it to represent the Hebrew word *sheol*. Everyone went to Hades when they died, not just the wicked. Luke 16 pictures righteous Lazarus in hades, and Acts 2:27, 31 says Jesus was there. In 1 Cor. 15:15 Paul used the same word when he said, “O, death, where is thy sting? O, *grave* where is thy victory?” We also see “death and hades” as a unit in Rev. 1:18, Rev. 6:8 and Rev. 20:13, 14. Again, sheol/hades refers to “the grave” or “the dead who are *unseen*.”

Both *sheol* and *hades* are also used in relation to national judgments (i.e. leading to the *vanishing* of a nation). See Isa. 14:13, 15, Ezek. 26:19-21, Mt. 11:23 and Lk. 10:15. Babylon, Tyre, and Capernaum were judged and “brought down to hades.” They did not go to some particular location; they were utterly destroyed and consequently vanished. Jesus warned the generation of his time that the nation of Israel was going to be judged (cf. Mt. 12:41; Lk. 11:29-32). By AD 70 that nation to which Jesus spoke did, indeed, go through a fiery judgment.

So, we see that *sheol* and its equivalent word *hades* refer to the dead who are unseen and to national judgments. The only time “hell” is actually used in the Bible is in 2 Peter 2:4 where Peter speaks about the abode of fallen angels (“Tartarus”) awaiting judgment. So, hell is not eternal and it’s not for humans.

Speaking of “fiery” national judgments, John the Baptist’s preaching consisted of announcements of an *imminent* (“who warned you to flee from the wrath to come” Lk. 3:7 and “Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees” Mt. 3:10, Lk. 3:9) fiery judgment (cf. Mt. 3:12 “unquenchable fire”) on Israel if she didn’t repent. That *imminent* fire was the fire that came upon Jerusalem in AD 70. See also Luke 12:56 where Jesus warns of the imminent crisis to come upon that generation.

*Gehenna* is also commonly translated “hell.” Gehenna is derived from a valley nearby Jerusalem that originally belonged to a man named Hinnom. “This was a valley near Jerusalem, and appears to have held this name perhaps as far back as the time of Joshua. This valley was used by the more idolatrous kings of Judah as a place where they would sacrifice their own children to the god Moloch. It may also have been the location where, in a single night, the Messenger of Yahweh killed a massive number of Assyrians from the army of Sennacherib. Going from there, it was traditionally associated with the location Isaiah refers to in his final chapter ('they shall go out' implies exiting Jerusalem into the valley), where *dead* bodies are devoured by unquenchable fire (i.e. fire that does not stop burning until it has completely consumed everything in its path) and undying worms (i.e. the maggots that unceasingly feast upon corpses). In ancient Aramaic translations of this chapter of Isaiah, the dead bodies are explicitly stated to be in the Valley of Hinnom, where the wicked suffered the 'second death'. Jesus confirms the traditional association by describing the Valley of Hinnom in the same way Isaiah describes the location filled with unquenchable fire and maggots. The Valley of Hinnom is only ever used by Jesus (with a single, extraneous usage by James) when speaking to his fellow Jews. He uses it especially when warning them about sinning unrepentantly. Jesus uses the Valley of Hinnom because it had become a common symbol for God's divine punishment. In this sense, it is analogous to the lake of fire (especially since both are referred to as the 'second death'). According to Jesus, God is able to destroy both body and soul in the Valley of Hinnom.” (“The History of Hell” by Mark Edward). See Joshua 18:16, 2 Kings 23:10 and 2 Chron. 33:6. I’d like to emphasize Luke 12:5 where it states that *after* God has killed the wicked ones, He has authority to cast the wicked *dead* into “hell” (actually, Gehenna), which is why it is called the “second death”—the dead body goes through a second death in the unquenchable fire that devours the dead body until it has been completely consumed.

So to the Jews, the Valley of Hinnom (aka Gehenna) came to mean a place of burning and fiery judgment. Josephus indicates that that very same valley was heaped with dead bodies of the Jews following the Roman siege of Jerusalem AD 70.

There are twelve passages with the use of *Gehenna*. The first occurrence of the word *Gehenna* is in Mt. 5:21-22 in the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus warns, “…and whosoever shall say, ‘Thou fool’ shall be in danger of the hell of fire.” When Jesus’ audience heard his use of this word, what came to mind was the Valley of Hinnom, the place of burning and fiery judgment where Yahweh had slaughtered the wicked Assyrians, where Isaiah said the dead bodies of the wicked are devoured by unquenchable fire and undying worms, where the dead bodies of the wicked undergo the “second death.” The other nine passages where Jesus uses the word *Gehenna* are found in Mt. 5:29-30, 10:28, 18:9, Mk. 9:43-45, 23:15, and Lk. 12:4-5. In all, Jesus is speaking to and warning the unrepentant Jews of his generation of what is to come if they do not repent and believe his words.

The eleventh occurrence is in Mt. 23:33 and just three verses later Jesus said, “Verily I say unto you, all these things shall come upon this generation.” Again, this speaks to the imminency of the judgment to come (which included being thrown into “hell” (actually, Gehenna) upon their death & experiencing the “second death”) upon that generation if they did not repent.

The twelfth and last time the word *Gehenna* is used is found in James 3:6. It’s interesting to note that James uses the word in a very similar context as the first time the word was used: misuse of the tongue. Jesus condemns one who curses another with the tongue and James condemns misuse of the tongue: “…out of the same mouth cometh forth blessing and cursing.”

As previously mentioned, the Valley of Hinnom (Gehenna) is only ever used by Jesus (with the one exception by James) when speaking to his fellow Jews because it had become a common symbol for God's divine punishment, and the nation to which Jesus spoke was about to endure a fiery judgment in their lifetime (i.e. generation). Even in James when he uses the word, he warns of the coming slaughter (Jas. 5:5), the coming of the Lord (Jas. 5:8), and that the judge stands before the door (Jas. 5:9). Jesus was “standing at the door”! Divine judgment was about to come upon these very people, this nation, and the warning of being cast into “hell” (Gehanna), the place outside of Jerusalem where dead bodies were cast to be utterly consumed by unquenchable fire, was used with these people specifically because they knew exactly what Jesus meant by it: national judgment is coming.

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What happens when someone is thrown into fire? However, yes it is in the Scriptures. Jesus quoted Isaiah when speaking of Gehenna.

23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.1 24 And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.
(Isa. 66:1 KJV)

Notice what is burning in the fire. It is the dead bodies of those who transgress against the Lord
And if you look at Luke 12:5 it is *dead* bodies that are cast into the fires of Gehenna. That's because Jesus was talking about a valley near Jerusalem that had become a symbol for God's divine punishment of an unrepentant Israel. The dead bodies of the wicked were cast into the unquenchable fire (a fire that does not stop burning until it has consumed everything in its path) to experience the second death.

Upvote 0

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That God is able to destroy the human spirit is written in the bible. That I agree. But that it will happen, I cannot concur. I do not think anyone can answer this completely. God does permit some souls that "died to soon" to have a glimpse of Hell. I know a family who's father died twice. First time he entered hell. And angel or Jesus himself, showed him what was going to happen if he continued his life. After that he lived a life completely different. He prayed so hard for his children to be saved.

So, even if I know how hell looks like and how everything works there, does it have any benefit for my life here and in heaven? No it does not. This is what I think and fell, a not so useful discussion. How much proof anyone presents....

One thing that is useful now and forever. Live a life worthy of Christ. Honor Him. Don't we all waste our time with lots of knowledge or so called wisdom? Knowledge and wisdom is not going to be helpful pulling souls out of hell. By living with Jesus so close , you can hear His voice every day is going to make the difference. That are the disciple of Christ as it's written in the Jesus His time.

So? How far are you with listening to the very quiet voice of our Lord Jesus.... He has been talking to you every day you know??

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And if you look at Luke 12:5 it is *dead* bodies that are cast into the fires of Gehenna. That's because Jesus was talking about a valley near Jerusalem that had become a symbol for God's divine punishment of an unrepentant Israel. The dead bodies of the wicked were cast into the unquenchable fire (a fire that does not stop burning until it has consumed everything in its path) to experience the second death.

Agree! Tophet.

Upvote 0

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally, I believe if hell is a threat to the children of God, then it would probably be a larger theme, but it's not. The Word of God was written for the Children of God, all of those the Father gave to Christ for adoption unto righteousness, from the foundation of the world. Is it a wonder that understanding comes from God? There will be judgement and where there is judgement there will be punishment, but the sheep have the Good Shepherd and none will be lost.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chihwahli

Apr 29, 2012
✟20,987.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Luke 12:5King James Version (KJV)
5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

I do not know what bible translation you use. But I checked 2 versions. It is not written as you have pasted. Maybe you an paste a bible link form any online bible??

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That God is able to destroy the human spirit is written in the bible. That I agree. But that it will happen, I cannot concur. I do not think anyone can answer this completely. God does permit some souls that "died to soon" to have a glimpse of Hell. I know a family who's father died twice. First time he entered hell. And angel or Jesus himself, showed him what was going to happen if he continued his life. After that he lived a life completely different. He prayed so hard for his children to be saved.

So, even if I know how hell looks like and how everything works there, does it have any benefit for my life here and in heaven? No it does not. This is what I think and fell, a not so useful discussion. How much proof anyone presents....

One thing that is useful now and forever. Live a life worthy of Christ. Honor Him. Don't we all waste our time with lots of knowledge or so called wisdom? Knowledge and wisdom is not going to be helpful pulling souls out of hell. By living with Jesus so close , you can hear His voice every day is going to make the difference. That are the disciple of Christ as it's written in the Jesus His time.

So? How far are you with listening to the very quiet voice of our Lord Jesus.... He has been talking to you every day you know??

There is no human spirit. That is one of the reasons people have this idea of a place of eternal conscious torment. If we look at Genesis 2 we find that God created the man out of the dust of the earth. So, man consists of the elements of the earth. We find that after that God breathed into the man the breath or spirit of life and the man became a living soul. It is this breath or spirit of life that is in man and gives him life. When this breath or spirit of life is taken away the man dies, the "living soul" no longer exists and the body returns to the dust. There is nothing to live on after the man dies.

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 12:5King James Version (KJV)
5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.

I do not know what bible translation you use. But I checked 2 versions. It is not written as you have pasted. Maybe you an paste a bible link form any online bible??
Who are you writing to? Notice that AFTER he has killed, he has the power to cast into hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that was a long time ago. I think my username was Lookingup. We emailed a couple times. Has your theology changed much over the last 10 years? (I think you had a squirrel as your pic then too) :-D

I think I remember that name. I think that was the one with a member named Slug1. Yes, My theology has change a bit as I've studied more and more deeply.

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I remember that name. I think that was the one with a member named Slug1. Yes, My theology has change a bit as I've studied more and more deeply.
Yes! Slug1...I remember him. My theology has changed too over the years. Were you on the forum with Frank who passed? He was heavy into end times and a very literal interpretation.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Q: What exactly is "hell"?
A: Bible sez: HELL YES!

All true believers have no "fear of "hell". They have been promised "heaven"!

1 John 4:18...for believers ONLY
There is no fear in love;
but perfect love casts out fear,
because fear involves punishment,
and the one who fears is not perfected (matured) in love.

The details are in the Bible...

The "Kingdom of God"/ the "Kingdom of Heaven" is an ACTUAL spiritual realm...NO SEPARATION from God!
inhabited by the TRI-UNE GOD, and angels, and "believing" saved Man.

The "lake of fire" (Revelation) is an ACTUAL spiritual realm...SEPARATION from God!
inhabited by the unholy "trinity" (devil + anti-christ + false prophet) + death and Hades + UN-believers.

Jesus on "Hell": (NASB)
Matthew 10:28
Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him (God) who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. (immortal SPIRIT remains)

Luke 12:5
But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who, after He has killed, has authority to cast (spirits) into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!(God)

Revelation 21 (NASB)...
10 And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone,
where the beast and the false prophet are also;
and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.... (NOT annihilation!)
14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire.
This is the second death, the lake of fire.
15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the (Lamb's) "book of life", (saved believers)
he was thrown into the "lake of fire" (UNbelievers)

Matthew 13:50...Jesus' parable explained
and (angels) will throw them (tares=unbelievers) into the "furnace of fire";
in that PLACE there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 25...Jesus' prophecy of Judgment of the NATIONS
46 These (Unbelieving goat NATIONS) will go away into ETERNAL punishment,
but the righteous (Believing sheep NATIONS) into ETERNAL life."

John 3...Jesus and John the Baptizer...on being spiritually born again from above...
36 He who believes in the Son has eternal LIFE; (heavenly realms)
but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, (spiritual + eternal)
but the WRATH of GOD abides on him." (un-heavenly realms)

The word "hell" from the Greek is mentioned/implied 88 times in the Bible: ...BUT...

64 times as the Hebrew word "Sheol" in the OT, ...the lowest grave in the earth

11 times as "Hades" in the NT

1 time as "Tartarus",

12 times as "Geenna".

RESULT: inaccurate translations of similar words! = HELL!

Hades... the abode or state of the dead: informal ( often not capital ) "hell"

Tartarus ...from Latin, from Greek Tartaros, of obscure origin

Geenna ...OT: place where offal and refuse were slowly burned

NT Judaism: a place where the wicked are punished after death (= bad side of Abraham's Busom..good side = Paradise
...HADES: a place or state of pain and torment ... SYMBOLIC of "hell"...See: Luke 16: 19-31

Reactions: 4x4toy
Upvote 0