What does your church accept as its biblical canon?

What does your church accept in its biblical canon?

• 39 OT books, 27 NT books (Protestant)

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • 46 OT books, 27 NT books (Catholic)

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 39 OT books, 7 Apocrypha, 27 NT books (Anglican)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 49 OT books, 27 NT books (Eastern Orthodox)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 46 OT books, 35 NT books (Oriental Orthodox)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What does your church in its biblical canon?
The same canon of 397 AD that has been repeatedly affirmed down through history, with no additions or deletions. If people prefer a lighter Bible, I don't care, I'm just glad they have one.

35226fceeed9544cd31500d5128837dd.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The same canon of 397 AD that has been repeatedly affirmed down through history, with no additions or deletions. If people prefer a lighter Bible, I don't care, I'm just glad they have one.

35226fceeed9544cd31500d5128837dd.jpg

That meme is hilarious

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
No canons here, unless one counts this: "all the counsel of God" and "rightly dividing the Word of Truth"; that generally means: Bible-only.
A biblical canon consists of those books recognised by a church as "the Bible." All of the biblical canons referenced here are Bibles. So, "Bible-only" does not describe what books are in the Bible you recognise.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the dictionary: "Canon is an ecclesiastical rule or law enacted by a council" and thus is not "the Bible" as you say, friend.
The Word of God is the Bible, and not religious ideas of men. My comment above was only that I hold to Bible-only as given: "all the counsel of God" and "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as the essence of it ---not ideas "enacted by a council of men".

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
According to the dictionary: "Canon is an ecclesiastical rule or law enacted by a council" and thus is not "the Bible" as you say, friend.
The Word of God is the Bible, and not religious ideas of men. My comment above was only that I hold to Bible-only as given: "all the counsel of God" and "rightly dividing the Word of Truth" as the essence of it ---not ideas "enacted by a council of men".
That is one definition of 'canon.' Specifically, that is canon law. A biblical canon is different. That is what we refer to, colloquially in our churches, as 'The Bible.' From where are you given the Bible? That answer depends on what books are included by your church in 'the Bible.' The Bible did not fall from the sky as is. The books were organised by communities over time based on what they considered to be 'inspired' or included.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Please see 'biblical canon' from Oxford. Biblical Canon - Biblical Studies - Oxford Bibliographies

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible IS THE BIBLE, and most true Christians know what that is and value God's message thus to man, so any other writings and ideas are of men. Most Christians believe that, I think; but anyway, I will just leave all to one's choices to believe and practice what they like.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The Bible IS THE BIBLE, and most true Christians know what that is and value God's message thus to man, so any other writings and ideas are of men. Most Christians believe that, I think; but anyway, I will just leave all to one's choices to believe and practice what they like.
The Catholic Church considers its biblical books to be 'The Bible' and the Orthodox Church considers its books to be 'the Bible.' Protestants, including evangelicals, recognise 39 OT books and 27 books as 'the Bible.' The Anglican bible has 39 OT books, an intertestamental section with 7 Apocrypha, and 27 books in the NT. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church has 88 books total in 'the Bible.'

All of these denominations see their Bible as 'the Bible.'

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church considers its biblical books to be 'The Bible' and the Orthodox Church considers its books to be 'the Bible.' Protestants, including evangelicals, recognise 39 OT books and 27 books as 'the Bible.' The Anglican bible has 39 OT books, an intertestamental section with 7 Apocrypha, and 27 books in the NT. The Ethiopian Orthodox Church has 88 books total in 'the Bible.'

All of these denominations see their Bible as 'the Bible.'

What I find interesting is that the historical processes of canonization throughout the Church branches all express that, at the least, there is some upper limit on which books can possibly be 'canonical.'

For instance, despite the vote of confidence by a few earlier church leaders, most have not given into accepting some books like the Gospel of Nicodemus which are likely not worthy of being added to any canon held among various Christian groups.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The Eastern Orthodox Study Bible has 49 OT/27 NT but this has never been declared official in the Eastern Orthodox Christian world.
The study bible is not 'official' across the jurisdictions. That's true. But it contains the biblical canon used by the Eastern Orthodox churches. It was made official at different councils including the Council of Jassy in Romania. The Orthodox Church in America explains some of that and states that this is the accepted canon.
Canon of Scripture - Questions & Answers

I suppose that, technically, each Eastern Orthodox jurisdiction could determine its own canon; however, most accept the 49 books and 27 books respectively with the exception that some Eastern Orthodox publications include 4 Maccabees as the 50th OT book.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums