✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Canon XI

"Let no one in the priestly order nor any layman eat the unleavened bread of the Jews, nor have any familiar intercourse with them, nor summon them in illness, nor receive medicines from them, nor bathe with them; but if anyone shall take in hand to do so, if he is a cleric, let him be deposed, but if a layman let him be cut off."

Please help me understand. Does our Orthodox church still enforce this in our modern times? Particularly the part about NOT seeking medical treatment or medications from a Jew? Please give a reason why or why not accordingly.

I need to know because I recently purchased some vitamins from a Jewish run company whose CEO I think is a rabbi. I didn't realize how heavily Jewish this company was until after the fact, I suspected it but didn't know an actual rabbi was possibly the owner. They don't really promote it as such but I did research after seeing some kosher symbols on the bottle. What if the CEO routinely has a Jewish priest say prayers and ceremonies over his business and product line? Would that be an issue for an EO customer? Even if he doesn't do that, would purchasing a product be an issue?

Also, hypothetically, what if "the best surgeon in town" is Jewish? Are we really not to seek out his treatment?

Note: I'm not being anti-Semitic, I am asking due to the canon above. Thank you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
back when the canon was written, medical science and religion were often intertwined. medicine today is a separate discipline, so that would only apply if you went to a place where Jewish theology was integrated with the treatment. it’s not a ban on a doctor that happens to be a Jew or Muslim or whatever.

Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
back when the canon was written, medical science and religion were often intertwined. medicine today is a separate discipline, so that would only apply if you went to a place where Jewish theology was integrated with the treatment. it’s not a ban on a doctor that happens to be a Jew or Muslim or whatever.
Thank you for answering Father.

But what of partaking of a medicine that may have had a Jewish blessing done over it, like my scenario above, since the business I bought from is run by devout Jews? Do I know for a fact that they bless their business, tools and ingredients? No, but it seems very possible they do. The canon above of "cutting off" someone who receives medicine from the Jews terrifies me, I don't want to be cut off from Christ.

I'm wondering if I should have my priest bless the supplement I bought? But the canon makes no mention of this as a remedy, it just says "do not do this!"

I can't return it or get a refund, I've already used some and it seems to have improved my health condition I was taking it for.

I asked here first because my priest is not well versed in the canons and I wanted to know if anyone here who knows the canons well can help me understand more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But what of partaking of a medicine that may have had a Jewish blessing done over it, like my scenario above, since the business I bought from is run by devout Jews? Do I know for a fact that they bless their business, tools and ingredients? No, but it seems very possible they do.
them blessing it on their own isn’t the same as you actively participating in the ritual. the latter is what is the error.

Reactions: Wildflower3
Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
them blessing it on their own isn’t the same as you actively participating in the ritual. the latter is what is the error.
That make sense. I'm not trying to debate, but I'm still confused, why then does Canon XI say not to receive medicine from Jews? It doesn't mention whether you participated. Just receiving. In ancient times, was the medicine mixed/compounded in your presence or something?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm still confused, why then does Canon XI say not to receive medicine from Jews?
because back then medicine was involved with the religious ritual. so the Christian would do the religious ritual in addition to the treatment, because it wasn’t a distinct discipline.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe there are certain matters in these canons that concerned social issues in time. There was probably social conflict which might be familiar in its nature even now but for reasons no longer known or understood. Social upheaval is always with us but the players & tensions always change. On matters of theology, it is probably ok to study these canons but otherwise see secondary aspects as part of a situation that no longer applies.

People often fail to adequately read their Bible and prayer book. I don’t believe laity should try to delve too deeply into canons. An adequately informed faith, Bible, & prayer book should be the basic necessary tools.

Upvote 0

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
because back then medicine was involved with the religious ritual. so the Christian would do the religious ritual in addition to the treatment, because it wasn’t a distinct discipline.
Ok, now the Canon is making more sense. Thanks Father.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟868,737.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Canon XI

..."nor receive medicines from them,...
This may be legalistic nitpicking, but you say you purchased vitamins or a supplement? According to the dictionary definitions those are not considered "medicines", so I think you're okay. At least that's what I'd argue if I were your canon lawyer. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wildflower3

Sep 24, 2019
Suburbs
✟9,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This may be legalistic nitpicking, but you say you purchased vitamins or a supplement? According to the dictionary definitions those are not considered "medicines", so I think you're okay. At least that's what I'd argue if I were your canon lawyer. :)
Hmm, interesting. Though vitamins can be like medicine for some who have a nutritional deficiency. Thanks for the support.

Upvote 0