What does the Bible say on women becoming pastors?

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You must not read what others say, and what they did NOT say. I never said they were sinning.

I never claimed that you said that. I simply stated that “a female pastor is not sinning by being in the pulpit.”

A female doctrinal teaching authority simply does not exist in that function within the (C)hurch any more than unbelievers exist within the (C)hurch. Your refusal to accept the difference is not my problem. Jr

It does in the Church I attend.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don’t seem to recall Jesus saying that women couldn’t be pastors.

Jesus also didn't repeat many other of the moral laws from the OT, and many of the things the apostles wrote later. (shrug) So, what's your point?

Women stood by the cross when He was crucified, and the first person to preach the Good News of His resurrection was a woman.

Preached? THAT is what you're going to point at for proof of DOCTRINAL teaching authority?

We know that women held important positions in the early church.

Meaning what? Please tell us all that you have something of greater substance than this.

Yes, the Bible does not specifically name as women as being pastors.

And for good reason....

It also doesn’t specifically list any male pastors.

And neither does the Bible provide any job description for pastors. (shrug) Again, so what? The important feature in all this is the idea that women do not share in a man's responsibility for doctrinal teaching authority within the (C)hurch. Why do you have such a problem with a gender specific function within the (C)hurch as laid down by Paul?

Actually, the term pastor is rarely used as a noun in the Bible, it more often appears as a verb.

Appears? To whom? You? According to Thayer's Greek Lexicon and many other sources, the Greek term in Eph. 4:11 translated as "pastor" from the Greek word "poi-mā'n" is identified as a "Masculine Noun," and defined by way of its grammatical construct in the text, "of the overseers of the Christian assemblies (A. V. pastors), Ephesians 4:11:"

Again, what problem do you have with all the obvious indicators from the original Greek and Hebrew texts? Why the misrepresentations of the originals? Are you relying upon some liberal transliteration of the Bible? What version told you it's more of a verb, and failed to identify its masculine gender from the Greek? Where did you get that?

Jr

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I never claimed that you said that. I simply stated that “a female pastor is not sinning by being in the pulpit.”

So why bring that up in a conversation with me, knowing that I already acknowledged that with qualification?

It does in the Church I attend.

Ok, so your (c)hurch does it, others do not. I've already stated that they all have the freedom to do as they darn well please. I'm not here to take away from them their freedom.

I'm content with the fact that such (c)hurches are not representative of the true body of Christ Jesus. Having a woman leading the assembly is not the only thing that disqualifies any organization from being representative of the Body of Christ Jesus. There are many other liberal corruptions taught and practiced in many other organizations that force them into the same category of groupings that are doing their own thing under the illusion that they represent Christ Jesus, when in fact they do not. They can believe that they do, and their belief will never change the harsh realities over which they have no control.

Adherence to creeds, their antiquity, denominational affiliations, nor any other item at which one may point will ever build them up to the level of being representative of Christ Jesus by mere affiliation and adherence. Such claims are totally unimpressive.

Jr

• Agree
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus also didn't repeat many other of the moral laws from the OT, and many of the things the apostles wrote later. (shrug) So, what's your point?

If Jesus didn't specifically say things then I look to His actions. Jesus’ treatment of women was very different from how women were traditionally treated in Greek, Roman, and Jewish culture. His actions and teachings raised the status of women to new heights.

Preached? THAT is what you're going to point at for proof of DOCTRINAL teaching authority?

If you have read the Bible you are aware that Phoebe was a notable woman in the early church. She was appointed by Paul as his emissary to the church in Rome. Paul refers to her both as a deacon and as a patron of many. Junia, was described as being "well known among the apostles." This could simply mean that she was known to the apostles, it could also mean that she was an apostle.

And neither does the Bible provide any job description for pastors. (shrug) Again, so what? The important feature in all this is the idea that women do not share in a man's responsibility for doctrinal teaching authority within the (C)hurch. Why do you have such a problem with a gender specific function within the (C)hurch as laid down by Paul?

In my Bible Paul says "there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” That seems clear to me.

Appears? To whom? You? According to Thayer's Greek Lexicon and many other sources, the Greek term in Eph. 4:11 translated as "pastor" from the Greek word "poi-mā'n" is identified as a "Masculine Noun," and defined by way of its grammatical construct in the text, "of the overseers of the Christian assemblies (A. V. pastors), Ephesians 4:11:"

Again, what problem do you have with all the obvious indicators from the original Greek and Hebrew texts? Why the misrepresentations of the originals? Are you relying upon some liberal transliteration of the Bible? What version told you it's more of a verb, and failed to identify its masculine gender from the Greek? Where did you get that?

So I presume then that you believe that the Holy Spirit is female since the word "Spirit" in Hebrew, ruach, is feminine. Or are you selective in your application of gender-specific words?

Way back on page four of this thread I said "If you don't approve of female Pastors, don't attend a church that has one." Perhaps you should simply abide by that rather than offering insults. Shouting and phrases like "Apears? To whom? You?" is hardly polite conversation.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So why bring that up in a conversation with me, knowing that I already acknowledged that with qualification?

I offered a statement of fact without qualification. I never said that you said it. You can apologize anytime.

Ok, so your (c)hurch does it, others do not. I've already stated that they all have the freedom to do as they darn well please. I'm not here to take away from them their freedom.

Actually many church bodies ordain women. It is nice that you aren't trying to take away our freedom to do so.

I'm content with the fact that such (c)hurches are not representative of the true body of Christ Jesus.

You are entitled to your opinion. I think your opinion is wrong. As I have said before, if you do not agree with female pastors then don't join a church that ordains women.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If Jesus didn't specifically say things then I look to His actions. Jesus’ treatment of women was very different from how women were traditionally treated in Greek, Roman, and Jewish culture. His actions and teachings raised the status of women to new heights.

That's a very precarious foundation upon which to rest one's understanding about roles the Lord assigned for functionality within the (C)hurch.

Perhaps you could explain to us how a function of leadership correlates to the subjective heights you're trying to apply against Paul's very clear and precise instructions.

If you have read the Bible you are aware that Phoebe was a notable woman in the early church.

How does notability translate into doctrinal teaching authority?

She was appointed by Paul as his emissary to the church in Rome.

Ok, so she delivered letters and conveyed Paul's verbal instructions to others. So?

Paul refers to her both as a deacon and as a patron of many. Junia, was described as being "well known among the apostles." This could simply mean that she was known to the apostles, it could also mean that she was an apostle.

All these distraction statements fail to address the idea that those women were appointed as doctrinal teaching authorities within the (C)hurch. Please offer something meaningful and that has substance.

In my Bible Paul says "there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” That seems clear to me.

That is true, but we're talking about IN the (C)hurch and IN the family. Jesus established distinctions within the (C)hurch and within the family. Trying to blur that line is suspect in and of itself.

So I presume then that you believe that the Holy Spirit is female since the word "Spirit" in Hebrew, ruach, is feminine. Or are you selective in your application of gender-specific words?

What has that to do with doctrinal teaching authority within the (C)hurch?

Way back on page four of this thread I said "If you don't approve of female Pastors, don't attend a church that has one." Perhaps you should simply abide by that rather than offering insults. Shouting and phrases like "Apears? To whom? You?" is hardly polite conversation.

There is nothing impolite in asking what level of inclusions you're insinuating into the conversation. Some people have a mouse in their pockets, and talk as if they speak for the whole world....

Jr

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a very precarious foundation upon which to rest one's understanding about roles the Lord assigned for functionality within the (C)hurch.

Basing one's understanding about roles in the Church on the actions of Jesus--how He treated people--is "precarious?" I don't think so.

Perhaps you could explain to us how a function of leadership correlates to the subjective heights you're trying to apply against Paul's very clear and precise instructions.

You keep talking about the "very clear and precise instructions" issued by Paul. Yes, Paul said in I Cor. 14 that women were to keep silent in the church, and in I Timothy 2:12, "I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man." Tell me, are women told that they must "keep silent" in your church, that they are not permitted to speak? That is the plain meaning of what Paul wrote. Also note that in I Timothy 2:12 Paul wrote "I do not permit a woman to teach." He didn't state it as a command for all times, he simply stated what he did. Yet in Phil. 4:3, he wrote of Euodia and Syntyche, two women who Paul said, "labored with me in the gospel." Perhaps he was addressing an isolated issue to Timothy, otherwise how could these women have labored with him without authority? His terms described them as co-workers, not in some secondary role.

How does notability translate into doctrinal teaching authority?

Perhaps you should read the complete paragraph instead of questioning the first sentence. I'm sure you are aware that in Romans 16:2 Paul uses the term "Prostatis" to describe Phoebe. Among the meanings of the term are leader or officer.

Ok, so she delivered letters and conveyed Paul's verbal instructions to others. So?

No, Paul wrote "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church at Cenchreae, so that you may welcome her in the Lord as is fitting for the saints, and help her in whatever she may require from you, for she has been a benefactor of many and of myself as well." This is not unlike Paul’s recommendation of Timothy to the church in Corinth. There is nothing in Romans that indicates that Phoebe’s role in the church was any less important or less official than that of Timothy or or of any of Paul’s other coworkers. Note that Paul specifically used the term deacon in describing Phoebe's role, not deaconess.

All these distraction statements fail to address the idea that those women were appointed as doctrinal teaching authorities within the (C)hurch. Please offer something meaningful and that has substance.

"Distraction statements." Apparently you are unable to engage in polite conversation. Very sad. Your rude comments were in response to the following: "Junia, was described as being 'well known among the apostles.' This could simply mean that she was known to the apostles, it could also mean that she was an apostle." An Apostle would have had doctrinal teaching authority. If she was simply known to the Apostles, that doesn't mean she didn't have such authority.

That is true, but we're talking about IN the (C)hurch and IN the family. Jesus established distinctions within the (C)hurch and within the family. Trying to blur that line is suspect in and of itself.

The full verses read "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise. Does "there is neither Jew nor Greek" blur any lines? Slave nor free? Then why would male nor female?

What has that to do with doctrinal teaching authority within the (C)hurch?

But you were the one who wrote that "the Greek term in Eph. 4:11translated as "pastor" from the Greek word "poi-mā'n" is identified as a "Masculine Noun," and claimed that supported your argument that the office of pastor was limited to men. I gave on example of the feminine word spirit and you have no real answer. Apparently the gender identity of words only matters to you when it supports your position.

There is nothing impolite in asking what level of inclusions you're insinuating into the conversation. Some people have a mouse in their pockets, and talk as if they speak for the whole world....

I have tried to be polite throughout this conversation, yet I have been accused by you of saying that you said things that you didn't say (which I never did). Now I'm being told that I'm trying to speak for the whole world. Interesting given that early in this thread I clearly said that while I belonged to a church that ordains women, those who do not approve of female pastors should not simply not join such churches. How is that trying to "speak for the whole world?" Conversation ended.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Basing one's understanding about roles in the Church on the actions of Jesus--how He treated people--is "precarious?" I don't think so.

This points at what you folks keep avoiding. How does Jesus' treatment of women translate into them becoming doctrinal teaching authorities in the (C)hurch? Every one of you continues to avoid that question, and a number of others that stab at the very foundation of claims that some women being made judges and others having shared the first news about the resurrection makes them into what Paul clearly commanded against.

You keep talking about the "very clear and precise instructions" issued by Paul. Yes, Paul said in I Cor. 14 that women were to keep silent in the church, and in I Timothy 2:12, "I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man." Tell me, are women told that they must "keep silent" in your church, that they are not permitted to speak?

I have never, anywhere in this thread or any other, taken issue with women speaking in the various gatherings. That's a non-issue with me given what Paul was addressing. We ALL exercise the literary and conversational freedom to cover multiple points in a singular statement we make, the points of which can all be individually couched within varying contexts, so why not Paul? Paul spoke of women being silent given the interruptions originating from various reasons many have speculated about over the years. Then he speaks of women teaching men being disallowed. That is backed by Old Testament and many other New Testament passages throughout, and because masculine teaching authority goes against the precepts derived from a number of feministic demands and practices within modern culture, the examples, commands, and biblical instructions are relegated into insignificance and powerlessness in the face of interpretational rules that, if applied consistently across all of scripture, can be shown to be manipulative and downright illegitimate.

That is the plain meaning of what Paul wrote. Also note that in I Timothy 2:12 Paul wrote "I do not permit a woman to teach." He didn't state it as a command for all times, he simply stated what he did. Yet in Phil. 4:3, he wrote of Euodia and Syntyche, two women who Paul said, "labored with me in the gospel." Perhaps he was addressing an isolated issue to Timothy, otherwise how could these women have labored with him without authority? His terms described them as co-workers, not in some secondary role.

There are a number of women who "labor with me in the Gospel" in our church. Point of fact, they do not labor in every element of what all others exercise in ALL our labors "in the Gospel." They do not exercise doctrinal teaching authority over the congregation, especially the men.

So, pointing at the information gaps in Paul's statements and assuming you have license to inject meaning into those blanks with modern, cultural dogmas.....no. That's not an honest handling of the scriptures and the limitations they express independent of all man-woman-made limiting qualifications injected into them by wishful thinking and subjective reasonings.

Perhaps you should read the complete paragraph instead of questioning the first sentence. I'm sure you are aware that in Romans 16:2 Paul uses the term "Prostatis" to describe Phoebe. Among the meanings of the term are leader or officer.

Let's see what the Lexicon has to say about that rather than subjectively choosing a definition that happens to give the illusion of backing a contradictory claim:

"a female guardian, protectress, patroness, caring for the affairs of others and aiding them with her resources (A. V. succourer): Romans 16:2; cf. Passow on the word and under προστάτης at the end; (Schürer, Die Gemeindeverfassung der Juden in Rom, as above with (Leip. 1879), p. 31; Heinrici, Die Christengemeinde Korinths, in Hilgenfeld's Zeitschr. for 1876, p. 517f)."

If you look at that, it seems to indicate that she had resources from which to help, care for and assist others. Who are those others? We can only speculate on that, but, again, injecting into the whole portrait what is not there by filling it in with modern culture and its dogmas, you're grasping at thin air for substance that simply isn't there. Nowhere in that definition nor in the surrounding contexts from which you ripped that verse, does it even hint at the idea that she was a doctrinal teaching authority over the men in that place. How does AIDING others with resources magically translate into doctrinal teaching authority?

"Distraction statements." Apparently you are unable to engage in polite conversation. Very sad.

I never said that you created those statements nor the ideas behind them. They have all been taught to us all by others. I've seen and heard them many times from many different people through the years, so please don't pretend that I have somehow violated any assumed rights to those statements and ideas as being your own. I don't blame you for using them. You see, public education, from which most of us hale, rife with a hatred for logic. Critical thinking has been shoved off into the never-never lands of modern thought because those skills stand as bastions against modern irrationality. Emotive thinking and argumentation are the main fares we've all been influenced to pork out on, along with the taught skill for subjectively injecting meaning into where it will give the greatest advantage. I've talked with folks who live and breath the idea of winning at all costs....even if it costs them their personal integrity in the eyes of others around them.

So, please don't be offended when I point at some of the tools you are using as being mere "distractions." That's not a stab at you personally. We've ALL been touched by the sources that seek to incorporate weaknesses in the place of strong, intellectual discipline, which is a state of mind that can help to keep us all on track, thus leading us to the destination of absolute truth. Distractions derail anyone from getting to that desired point.

Your rude comments were in response to the following: "Junia, was described as being 'well known among the apostles.' This could simply mean that she was known to the apostles, it could also mean that she was an apostle." An Apostle would have had doctrinal teaching authority. If she was simply known to the Apostles, that doesn't mean she didn't have such authority.

Ok. Let's explore your reasoning:

Does asking a question that happens to conform to your personal beliefs about women and teaching authority, somehow legitimize your conclusion that being known by the apostles magically transforms her into being a doctrinal teaching authority in the (C)hurch? I am known by some high ranking government officials in my state, but that doesn't at all translate into my having any measure of authority that only they possess. What do you think a cop would say if I told him, "Hey, I am known by the state governor and all his staff"? Do you think he'd let me go because of that? I mean, come on....

The full verses read "For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed and heirs according to the promise. Does "there is neither Jew nor Greek" blur any lines? Slave nor free? Then why would male nor female?

Yes, they do blur the lines because of the contextual slaughter of that paragraph you're trying to perpetrate. Nowhere in any of that, nor within its context, is it ever hinted that women therefore have doctrinal teaching authority on par with the apostles, elders, pastors, priests, or any other masculine function within the (C)hurch. Salvation is blind to gender, class, social status, and even ethic background, which is the putting on of Christ. So please explain how all of that somehow becomes equality with something that's not even a topic in the context? That, my friend, is manipulation. It is painting over the text with self-made colors of meaning that are not even hinted at.

But you were the one who wrote that "the Greek term in Eph. 4:11translated as "pastor" from the Greek word "poi-mā'n" is identified as a "Masculine Noun," and claimed that supported your argument that the office of pastor was limited to men. I gave on example of the feminine word spirit and you have no real answer. Apparently the gender identity of words only matters to you when it supports your position.

Alright. Let's talk about that one: Did the use of the term "spirit" in your source verse play out to an unmistakable conclusion that women therefore possess equality in doctrinal teaching authority within the (C)hurch? Is that idea a part of the context, expressed in unmistakable clarity, or anything else that avoids illegitimate injections of meaning that some may try to employ?

Jr

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let's see what the Lexicon has to say about that rather than subjectively choosing a definition that happens to give the illusion of backing a contradictory claim:

"a female guardian, protectress, patroness, caring for the affairs of others and aiding them with her resources (A. V. succourer): Romans 16:2; cf. Passow on the word and under προστάτης at the end; (Schürer, Die Gemeindeverfassung der Juden in Rom, as above with (Leip. 1879), p. 31; Heinrici, Die Christengemeinde Korinths, in Hilgenfeld's Zeitschr. for 1876, p. 517f)."

If you look at that, it seems to indicate that she had resources from which to help, care for and assist others. Who are those others? We can only speculate on that, but, again, injecting into the whole portrait what is not there by filling it in with modern culture and its dogmas, you're grasping at thin air for substance that simply isn't there. Nowhere in that definition nor in the surrounding contexts from which you ripped that verse, does it even hint at the idea that she was a doctrinal teaching authority over the men in that place. How does AIDING others with resources magically translate into doctrinal teaching authority?

Jr

"Prostasis" is also the word used by Justin Martyr not very much later, to describe the person who presides over worship. So it is clear that it had that meaning in the very early church, and not a misuse of the term to think that Phoebe would have been presiding over worship (exercising authority) in her context.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Prostasis" is also the word used by Justin Martyr not very much later, to describe the person who presides over worship. So it is clear that it had that meaning in the very early church, and not a misuse of the term to think that Phoebe would have been presiding over worship (exercising authority) in her context.

Presides over worship? Hmm. How does one preside over the worship of others? No man or woman presides over my worship of God, for worship, first and foremost, is a WAY OF LIFE (CAPS for emphasis only), not just something one can walk into the special purpose sanctuary, flip on the switch of worship, and expect such to be acceptable before the Lord. Those who see the institutional model as some sort of spiritual practice in and of itself go to great lengths to get the masses to believe that it's something it's not.

[Jhn 4:23 KJV] 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

TRUE worshippers, Jesus stated, would do so in spirit and in truth rather than being bound to places such as mountains and temples. No. Worship as Jesus stated is a way of life, not just some ritualistically dead practice. Spirit and truth describe how we live our lives in Christ Jesus. THAT is what the Lord seeks. Walking into a designated "sanctuary" and going through the motions orchestrated from up front, that is praise, not worship since we know the Lord looks at the heart. Those who think they can flip on worship like a light switch in a special purpose joint with pipe organs, bands, or whatever, that is not worship the Lord accepts. Nobody can live a life NOT steeped in daily, moment by moment worship throughout the week, and then expect to offer up something on Sunday mornings in the presence of others that will be acceptable before the Lord. That's the pettiness of a historic and secular, culturalized belief system.

Jr

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Of course worship is a way of life, something which has to be realised every day and in every situation, not just when the community gathers for that purpose.

But the worship of the gathered community of faithful people usually (the Society of Friends are an exception) has someone who is a designated presider/leader.

That is what we're arguing about in this thread, is it not? Whether women can inhabit that role? So if Paul uses a word for Phoebe which Justin, not much later and writing from the church to which Paul wrote, uses of the person who has that role, it suggests - does not conclusively prove, but suggests - that Phoebe presided over worship and that, therefore, it is open to women in general.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course worship is a way of life, something which has to be realised every day and in every situation, not just when the community gathers for that purpose.

So, how does someone lead the "worship" of others? It's one thing to lead the singing (praise), but the idea that praise is the same thing as worship leads to some difficulties. Where the one who leads the praise selects the songs and holds tempos, worship still remains an individual endeavor on the part of each individual. So, again, how does one lead the worship of others?

But the worship of the gathered community of faithful people usually (the Society of Friends are an exception) has someone who is a designated presider/leader.

Who are they?

That is what we're arguing about in this thread, is it not?[/QUOTE]

No. That has not at all been central to my clear and precise statements throughout this thread. I have taken issue with the idea that women hold doctrinal teaching authority. There is a huge difference.

Jr

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, how does someone lead the "worship" of others? It's one thing to lead the singing (praise), but the idea that praise is the same thing as worship leads to some difficulties. Where the one who leads the praise selects the songs and holds tempos, worship still remains an individual endeavor on the part of each individual. So, again, how does one lead the worship of others?

I'm not talking about music. You can have worship services without any music at all. I'm talking about the person up the front; in my liturgical tradition there is a format for the service; a "usual" Sunday communion service will go from opening greeting and prayers, through confession and absolution, hearing from Scripture, preaching, confession of faith, intercessory prayers, thanksgiving and sharing of communion, community business, blessing and dismissal. And that needs someone to lead it; to be sensitive to what's happening in the room and choose appropriate words and pace to allow people to engage in that spiritual work together.

I have taken issue with the idea that women hold doctrinal teaching authority. There is a huge difference.

Not in my tradition.

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not talking about music. You can have worship services without any music at all. I'm talking about the person up the front; in my liturgical tradition there is a format for the service; a "usual" Sunday communion service will go from opening greeting and prayers, through confession and absolution, hearing from Scripture, preaching, confession of faith, intercessory prayers, thanksgiving and sharing of communion, community business, blessing and dismissal. And that needs someone to lead it; to be sensitive to what's happening in the room and choose appropriate words and pace to allow people to engage in that spiritual work together.

Most of all that sounds like a purely liturgical flow of activities, or program, or whatever one may have in their understanding as to a typical churchianity service. The ancient Jews also had ritualistic gatherings, none of which are relevant today. Granted, many enjoy all that, but it's not how Jesus described worship. We all can disagree with this, which is fine. It's peripheral.

Not in my tradition.

Every tradition provides warm fuzzies to its adherents. No doubt. Otherwise they wouldn't be there, right? Most people feel more secure when their churchianity beliefs and doctrines conform to social and cultural dogmas, because to buck culture and society is to be at odds with the world as Jesus was at odds with all the religious leadership of that day. Most people want the world to love them rather than hate them, as Jesus said would be the case for his true followers. Compromise with the world is simply the status quo of many denominations. Every grouping has the freedom to do as they darn well choose, actively thumbing their noses at the very Bible they claim to believe. Isn't freedom something? Of course, freedom always has a price attached....

Jr

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Most of all that sounds like a purely liturgical flow of activities, or program, or whatever one may have in their understanding as to a typical churchianity service. The ancient Jews also had ritualistic gatherings, none of which are relevant today. Granted, many enjoy all that, but it's not how Jesus described worship. We all can disagree with this, which is fine. It's peripheral.

Jesus described worship in Spirit and in truth; as long as people engage in the liturgy in Spirit and in truth, the liturgy becomes truly living worship.

Every tradition provides warm fuzzies to its adherents. No doubt. Otherwise they wouldn't be there, right? Most people feel more secure when their churchianity beliefs and doctrines conform to social and cultural dogmas, because to buck culture and society is to be at odds with the world as Jesus was at odds with all the religious leadership of that day. Most people want the world to love them rather than hate them, as Jesus said would be the case for his true followers. Compromise with the world is simply the status quo of many denominations. Every grouping has the freedom to do as they darn well choose, actively thumbing their noses at the very Bible they claim to believe. Isn't freedom something? Of course, freedom always has a price attached....

Oh please. There is nothing about well-done, authentic liturgical worship which is about conforming to "social and cultural dogmas." True worship - whether it is liturgical or no - does buck culture and society because it denies all of the would-be idols which culture and society put in front of us, in favour of the Living God. It's got absolutely nothing to do with compromise with the world, or any of the rest of what you're accusing here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus described worship in Spirit and in truth; as long as people engage in the liturgy in Spirit and in truth, the liturgy becomes truly living worship.

So, what you're saying, then, and correct me if I'm not understanding your correctly, but it's:

Liturgy + spirit + truth rather than only what Jesus said.

Did I get that right?

Oh please. There is nothing about well-done, authentic liturgical worship which is about conforming to "social and cultural dogmas." True worship - whether it is liturgical or no - does buck culture and society because it denies all of the would-be idols which culture and society put in front of us, in favour of the Living God. It's got absolutely nothing to do with compromise with the world, or any of the rest of what you're accusing here.

Actually, I was referring to feminaism and it's strong influences at getting people to disregard Paul's instructions concerning doctrinal teaching authority within the Body of Christ Jesus.

What I said about liturgy is that groupings of people can do whatever they so desire. It makes no difference if they choose to couple Jesus' words with a carnival circus so long as it's orderly.

My take on it all is that no man can direct my worship of God. You and all others are free to let someone direct yours, if that's even possible, but not for me and mine. Liturgy is something I can live without. I don't need that crutch.

Jr

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
So, what you're saying, then, and correct me if I'm not understanding your correctly, but it's:

Liturgy + spirit + truth rather than only what Jesus said.

Did I get that right?

No. "Spirit and truth" in worship need to take some form; it might be a liturgical form or it might be a less liturgical form, but liturgy is only the form in which some people choose to worship in Spirit and in truth. Liturgy is not essential (although it has many benefits).

Actually, I was referring to feminaism and it's strong influences at getting people to disregard Paul's instructions concerning doctrinal teaching authority within the Body of Christ Jesus.

Which has nothing to do with whether the person presiding over worship is seen as also having teaching authority, which was what the comment it was in reply to was about.

That said, I don't think it has anything to do with feminism directly. Women taking up teaching and leadership roles in the Church is about obedience to the God who calls us to those roles.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No. "Spirit and truth" in worship need to take some form; it might be a liturgical form or it might be a less liturgical form, but liturgy is only the form in which some people choose to worship in Spirit and in truth. Liturgy is not essential (although it has many benefits).

Please explain the mechanics in how that works.

Which has nothing to do with whether the person presiding over worship is seen as also having teaching authority, which was what the comment it was in reply to was about.

That said, I don't think it has anything to do with feminism directly. Women taking up teaching and leadership roles in the Church is about obedience to the God who calls us to those roles.

So you believe God is directing what is contrary to His inspired word to the (C)hurch? How does that work?

Jr

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Please explain the mechanics in how that works.

Worshipping in Spirit and truth is about our relationship with God, about our attitude, and about our worship reflecting God's truth. There are a million forms that can take (reflecting the full diversity of Christian practices), but all of them will have a right relationship with God, a right orientation to the rest of creation, and will reflect gospel truth.

So you believe God is directing what is contrary to His inspired word to the (C)hurch? How does that work?

Nope. I believe that the people who believe Scriptures forbid women to do these things are misunderstanding God's inspired word to the Church.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Worshipping in Spirit and truth is about our relationship with God, about our attitude, and about our worship reflecting God's truth. There are a million forms that can take (reflecting the full diversity of Christian practices), but all of them will have a right relationship with God, a right orientation to the rest of creation, and will reflect gospel truth.

You do have a refreshing understanding about the personal dynamics of worship. Many people don't understand what you've stated. What somewhat escapes me, however, is the idea of coupling the true nature of genuine worship with other man-made rituals, and assuming that it adds to worship something, as if that makes it even better (if I'm understanding that such is your premise). I can be shopping at the mall, riding a roller coaster, driving my car down the interstate, etc., and in those activities, and coupled with those activities, live out that worship of which Jesus spoke.

What's interesting too is that Jesus called the temple a "house of prayer." Isn't it wonderful that we no longer have any need for such? My prayer closet goes with me everywhere I go, and with acceptable worship before God being a lifestyle and state of mind every moment of every day, our being the temple gives to us a completeness the ancients did not have.

Oh, I could go on and on delving into the depths of what the Lord has done for us, but will leave it for now to continue with this discussion.

Nope. I believe that the people who believe Scriptures forbid women to do these things are misunderstanding God's inspired word to the Church.

I'm still waiting for anyone to provide good reasoning that is consistent with proven rules and methods for interpretation to establish a solid foundation for believing that Paul did not state what he meant, and what the Lord inspired him to write. After all, he clearly stated that ALL of scripture is inspired, and good for teaching, correction, rebuke, etc., and inspired by the Lord. The was only one place Paul ever said, "...but I say, not the Lord,..." Apart from that, nobody has yet firmly established a case as to why we should believe the "spiritualization" and/or historical assumptions as the means by which some misinterpret what Paul stated.

Jr

Upvote 0