What does the Bible say on women becoming pastors?

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I meant what I said by my last post. Some day you will see. I have no need to change anyone, that is not my job, maybe just point out them that kindness, gentleness is to be preferred over bullying. I am not saying that you see it in yourself, because if you did, you wouldn't do it. I am just saying for me to say the same things you are in this thread, I would not feel like I was doing it out of love, but out of pride and superiority. So that is what I mean by bullying. Hence the term "surgical tool." over "sword."

One has to be strong to be a leader in the Church. We are called to walk the wall as guardians against the wolves in sheep's clothing who teach all manner of falsehoods. Given that false teachings proliferate throughout almost every community of professing believers, it sometimes means having to shed whatever courses through the veins of those creatures that wiggle themselves into the company of believers, seeking to infect them with their half-truths and outright lies.

If walking that wall isn't your thing, then I understand. Perhaps your gifting is in the area of comforting those who mourn from whatever has caused them great pain. However, your gifting is not any basis upon which to criticize another who has a gifting for power and strength where it is needed. Your sensitivities, although needed where they are necessary, are not going to change the fact that we live in a volatile and dangerous world filled with violence, both physical, intellectual and spiritual.

I therefore leave you to your giftings, for I am not one who will run when the wolves attack the Church.

Jr

• Optimistic
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

LiquidCat

Nov 14, 2019
Warsaw
✟10,163.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The first person to preach the good news of the risen Christ was a woman. I don’t think that was by chance.

Difference between preaching good news and being pastor, pastor is like a role moder for believers in certain area not somebody who says few words every sunday thats modern man made thing , back in the day every1 would speak what Lord told them or which prophecy they received

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Difference between preaching good news and being pastor, pastor is like a role moder for believers in certain area not somebody who says few words every sunday thats modern man made thing , back in the day every1 would speak what Lord told them or which prophecy they received
Except that there was no equivalent to the modern office of Pastor in Biblical times.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read an article recently authored by a Baptist pastor who said that women shouldn't be ''leading men'' which is why women leading churches, is something Christians should avoid.

If you "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you."
then such discrimination is not allowed.

So the article was all lies from Satan.
Just my view.

• Winner
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Except that there was no equivalent to the modern office of Pastor in Biblical times.

Interesting take on that. So, what you're saying, then, is that the modern concept for the pastorate is not outlined in any job description found in scripture?

Hmm. If so, I can agree with that. We're expected to do all kinds of things as proxies for those who hired us. We visit the sick, counsel the hurting and/or confused, we manage the facility and the staffing, we oversee what all our lay pastors are up to, as well as the deacons and elders, and basically function as CEO's over a business.

That's not something found anywhere in scripture....except perhaps by way of the most imaginative, outlandishly creative fantasy ever known to mankind. But, hey, they pay me to do this job, and so I'll do it, and I don't need people to pay for me to go on retreats and such. I'd rather pay for my own vacations rather than to sponge off other people.

Biblical pastoring was the function of the elder men (plural) in each local Church comprised by all the believers in each city. THAT was REAL pastoring, discipleship and fellowship.

Jr

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If you "Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you."
then such discrimination is not allowed.

So the article was all lies from Satan.
Just my view.

Absolutely! I let my kids drive and drink Scotch.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting take on that. So, what you're saying, then, is that the modern concept for the pastorate is not outlined in any job description found in scripture?

Hmm. If so, I can agree with that. We're expected to do all kinds of things as proxies for those who hired us. We visit the sick, counsel the hurting and/or confused, we manage the facility and the staffing, we oversee what all our lay pastors are up to, as well as the deacons and elders, and basically function as CEO's over a business.

That's not something found anywhere in scripture....except perhaps by way of the most imaginative, outlandishly creative fantasy ever known to mankind. But, hey, they pay me to do this job, and so I'll do it, and I don't need people to pay for me to go on retreats and such. I'd rather pay for my own vacations rather than to sponge off other people.

Biblical pastoring was the function of the elder men (plural) in each local Church comprised by all the believers in each city. THAT was REAL pastoring, discipleship and fellowship.

Jr
The use of pastor as a noun is fairly rare in scripture. As I recall, it doesn’t appear more than three or four times as a noun. The term is more often used as a verb.

We don’t know a whole lot about how the early church operated, but there were certainly pastors just as there were deacons, apostles, bishops, elders and teachers. In the modern church we put so many duties onto one person, a pastor; it appears that those duties were done by multiple people in the early church.

Were there female pastors in the early church? Perhaps. We know that there was at least one female deacon and one female apostle, so female pastors are certainly a possibility.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One has to be strong to be a leader in the Church. We are called to walk the wall as guardians against the wolves in sheep's clothing who teach all manner of falsehoods. Given that false teachings proliferate throughout almost every community of professing believers, it sometimes means having to shed whatever courses through the veins of those creatures that wiggle themselves into the company of believers, seeking to infect them with their half-truths and outright lies.

If walking that wall isn't your thing, then I understand. Perhaps your gifting is in the area of comforting those who mourn from whatever has caused them great pain. However, your gifting is not any basis upon which to criticize another who has a gifting for power and strength where it is needed. Your sensitivities, although needed where they are necessary, are not going to change the fact that we live in a volatile and dangerous world filled with violence, both physical, intellectual and spiritual.

I therefore leave you to your giftings, for I am not one who will run when the wolves attack the Church.

Jr
being a strong leader does not mean again, using your sword to do surgery. God is gentle. The fruit of the spirit is gentleness and kindness. I know it's easier to bow up and yell, but that is not what God desires.

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
being a strong leader does not mean again, using your sword to do surgery. God is gentle. The fruit of the spirit is gentleness and kindness. I know it's easier to bow up and yell, but that is not what God desires.

Well, blessedly, none of us is sitting in His Throne, commanding what each other should or should not do. You are not a prophet, and neither am I. Presuming yourself to be an authority as to how the Lord uses me in ministry is like that sounding gong and tinkling cymbals Paul spoke of. I've heard them before. Suffice it to say that the Lord, being sovereign, and therefore in charge, sometimes does things in ways sensitive people find unacceptable, such as ordering that even the women and children be put to the sword.

I will stick to where the Lord sends me, what He tells me to do, and how to do it.

Have a great one.

Jr

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,238.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will stick to where the Lord sends me, what He tells me to do, and how to do it.

I am sure that many female preachers and Ministers would say the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am sure that many female preachers and Ministers would say the same.

Yes they will. No doubt in my mind about that.

How about this: They aren't necessarily doing anything wrong in relation to biblical mandates because, as I've said before, institutionalized religion is not a creation arising from the pages of the apostolic writings in the Bible, and therefore not representative of the Church in either the full body expression nor of the local expression. They are purely man-made, and are therefore free to become whatever the builders desire, practicing whatever they so desire within the confines of their four walls.

The only crisis of doctrine is when they think they are doctrinal teaching authorities in the biblical sense in relation to the Church where no unbeliever can enter and corrupt. They are not able to function in that capacity in the body, even though some of the body members populate some of the seating in their institutional settings. (shrug) So what? It's petty. It's meaningless in relation to the living body of Christ Jesus that no man or woman can corrupt with worldly feminism, homosexuality, or any other tower of Babel mankind many erect for himself.

So, I fully agree with you in the sense that they FEEL God is directing them to such. They are absolutely free as fallen human beings to feel whatever they so desire to feel about God allegedly being the instigator of their practices contrary to His inspired word.

Go for it....

Jr

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,238.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about this: They aren't necessarily doing anything wrong in relation to biblical mandates because, as I've said before, institutionalized religion is not a creation arising from the pages of the apostolic writings in the Bible, and therefore not representative of the Church in either the full body expression nor of the local expression. They are purely man-made, and are therefore free to become whatever the builders desire, practicing whatever they so desire within the confines of their four walls.

Well not exactly.
I'm no fan of denominations and the institutionalised church often drives me nuts, but there's no doubt that Paul founded churches and the believer's met in peoples' houses, or other buildings, to worship God, break bread and have fellowship. The church today is nothing like it was then, that is true, but the nucleus of it was there - a group/groups meeting together to worship, pray, serve and learn with an elder or some kind of leader.

The only crisis of doctrine is when they think they are doctrinal teaching authorities in the biblical sense in relation to the Church where no unbeliever can enter and corrupt.

Firstly, this isn't a matter of doctrine, it's church practice. Whether you have a man or woman preaching, the Gospel doesn't change; the word of God is still a two edged sword with the power to convict and change people.
Secondly, if a woman has spiritual gifts of leading and teaching, is trained and is called by God to use those gifts for the church, that is very different to her setting herself up as a "doctrinal teaching authority".

They are not able to function in that capacity in the body, even though some of the body members populate some of the seating in their institutional settings. (

But they are, and they do.

It's meaningless in relation to the living body of Christ Jesus that no man or woman can corrupt with worldly feminism, homosexuality, or any other tower of Babel mankind many erect for himself.

THE Church, the bride of Christ, is all believers - all denominations, all cultures, all practices; those who ordain women/baptise babies/speak in tongues/wear robes/use incense, and those who don't.
If we are born again, we are children of God, heirs with Christ, adopted by Him, given the Spirit who guarantees our inheritance. Nothing else matters except Christ crucified, risen, ascended and glorified; nothing else can save, or condemn, us. Jesus is King, and where people are proclaiming him and living under his kingship, the Kingdom of God is - a Kingdom which cares about proclaiming God's love, forgiveness, reconciliation, peace, justice. God's ways and words have often been proclaimed and taught by women - Deborah, Huldah, Miriam, Mary Magdalene and other female disciples.

So, I fully agree with you in the sense that they FEEL God is directing them to such.

I didn't talk about feelings.
It may start with a strong, or persistent feeling that doesn't go away or change, but God's call is far more, and far stronger than, a mere, changeable feeling/emotion.

Go for it....

I'm sure you mean well, and I don't mean to sound rude, but that's not really good enough.
The whole question is, is it a sin for women to be ordained and preach God's word? If it IS, then by saying 'go for it', you are encouraging women to sin. If it's NOT a sin, and Scripture doesn't say otherwise; what's all the arguing about? There are some people who really believe that ordaining women is a sin/violation of Scripture; they should certainly not 'go for it', or even tolerate it, if that's what they believe. I, and many others, believe that not only is this not a sin, but that God is calling women today to do this.

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jr

I’m not sure what this means?

Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well not exactly.
I'm no fan of denominations and the institutionalised church often drives me nuts, but there's no doubt that Paul founded churches and the believer's met in peoples' houses, or other buildings, to worship God, break bread and have fellowship. The church today is nothing like it was then, that is true, but the nucleus of it was there - a group/groups meeting together to worship, pray, serve and learn with an elder or some kind of leader.

Fellowship is the one dynamic that goes mostly ignored within institutionalism. My congregant members have never demonstrated an ability to fellowship with the backs of each other's heads, so we set out to change the arrangement so that we could all sit together more like a family than remaining an audience.

Firstly, this isn't a matter of doctrine, it's church practice. Whether you have a man or woman preaching, the Gospel doesn't change; the word of God is still a two edged sword with the power to convict and change people.

As I said, doctrinal authority for teaching is not the same thing as sharing the Gospel. The members in our organization already know the Gospel. I don't need to reiterate that to them in our meetings.

Secondly, if a woman has spiritual gifts of leading and teaching, is trained and is called by God to use those gifts for the church, that is very different to her setting herself up as a "doctrinal teaching authority".

Also, again, that taking place in a man-made church organization meeting is something professing believers have the freedom to do. It's just a venue people choose to support. Having said that, a position one has in man-made institutions is not what can be said to be their function in the (C)hurch. No woman can function in the (C)hurch what is reserved for men, and vice versa.

But they are, and they do.

Nope. That is utterly false where the (C)hurch is concerned. Keep in mind the vast differences between (c)hurches and the (C)hurch.

THE Church, the bride of Christ, is all believers - all denominations, all cultures, all practices; those who ordain women/baptise babies/speak in tongues/wear robes/use incense, and those who don't.

Wrong! THE (C)hurch is strictly people. All those denominational affiliations, cultures and other man-made distinctions where unbelievers can enter in are not THE (C)hurch. No unbeliever can enter into the (C)hurch.

If we are born again, we are children of God, heirs with Christ, adopted by Him, given the Spirit who guarantees our inheritance.

No doubt.

Nothing else matters except Christ crucified, risen, ascended and glorified; nothing else can save, or condemn, us.

I never said otherwise.

Jesus is King, and where people are proclaiming him and living under his kingship, the Kingdom of God is - a Kingdom which cares about proclaiming God's love, forgiveness, reconciliation, peace, justice. God's ways and words have often been proclaimed and taught by women - Deborah, Huldah, Miriam, Mary Magdalene and other female disciples.

You will search in vain to find where Deborah or any of those other women stood as doctrinal teaching authorities. Being a judge over Israel did not mean that Deborah also functioned in the priesthood, offering up sacrifices and teaching God's Law to the people in the place of the men priests. Of course, you can do as some others have done through the years, which is to INJECT into the scriptures what isn't there about those women, but that doesn't bolster your case to the level of evidential backing.

It may start with a strong, or persistent feeling that doesn't go away or change, but God's call is far more, and far stronger than, a mere, changeable feeling/emotion.

Many men out there consider themselves called into the ministry by God who have no business there, so it comes as no surprise that some women feel the same. Self-deception is a constant, never-ending element of the fallen, human nature in this life, on this earth.

I'm sure you mean well, and I don't mean to sound rude, but that's not really good enough.

What? Go for it? It means that I acknowledge everyone's freedom to do as they please, whether it is in conformance to what is revealed in scripture, or not. Many choose to try and "spiritualize" Paul's instructions concerning women and doctrinal teaching authority. They all have that freedom. Many of us, on the other hand, choose to NOT give in to that feministic-based system of theological warp and twisting of what's written, thus wrestling it into saying what some want it to say. Everyone has the freedom to do that, but it's not necessarily right.

The whole question is, is it a sin for women to be ordained and preach God's word? If it IS, then by saying 'go for it', you are encouraging women to sin. If it's NOT a sin, and Scripture doesn't say otherwise; what's all the arguing about?

Ok. Let's give this another try: Man-made, institutional church organizations can and will function in whatever way they see fit. The (C)hurch is not man-made, and will always function in accordance with what is written in the word of God. What most call a "local body" that most call their (c)hurch, if it is a legitimate representation of the (C)hurch as an expression on this earth and in the community, all participants will desire and practice exactly what is written without corrupting it with man-made injections of culture, society and movements (such as feminisim, homosexuality, inappropriate behavior with animals, pedophilia) and/or any of the other corruptions arising from the fallenness of humanity.

All else disqualifies each of those institutions from being a legitimate representation of the (C)hurch, thus their freedom to do as they so choose....even to the extent of having a horse whinnying sermons from the pulpit (which some qualify as such, be it mare or stallion). I never said it was sin for a group to have and establish alternative functions in a group setting. How can a woman sin when she cannot function within the (C)hurch what is not hers to fulfill? That's like asking how the (C)hurch could remain pure with unbelievers in that body. They can't enter in, just as no woman can function as a teaching authority in the (C)hurch. A woman can function in that capacity in a mere (c)hurch that does whatsoever it darn well pleases, but that grouping is not representative of the (C)hurch. It represents its own values and beliefs originating from the world, not from Christ Jesus. Thus, the (C)hurch remains incorrupt.

You can disagree with that, which is fine. A woman practicing doctrinal teaching authority in an institutional (c)hurch organization is no more representative of the (C)hurch than the IRS, DoD, FAA or any other man-made organization or agency. So, how is she sinning while doing something that is not representative of the reality of what the (C)hurch is about? She and they who sit under her are doing their own thing apart from the legitimacy of what defines a genuine, true representation of the (C)hurch on this earth? It's no different than for you or I going out to shop at the mall, pay parking tickets, visit the grand kids, et al. We are free to do many things in life that are not representative of the (C)hurch, so why not group gatherings to watch a show, listen to a speaker, and enjoy sing-along of hymns with others, calling it our "(c)hurch"? I can call my house a castle, but that doesn't make it as sturdy and secure as a castle built with stone and a moat surrounding it filled with crockodiles.

Go for it.

Jr

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You can disagree with that, which is fine. A woman practicing doctrinal teaching authority in an institutional (c)hurch organization is no more representative of the (C)hurch than the IRS, DoD, FAA or any other man-made organization or agency. So, how is she sinning while doing something that is not representative of the reality of what the (C)hurch is about? She and they who sit under her are doing their own thing apart from the legitimacy of what defines a genuine, true representation of the (C)hurch on this earth? It's no different than for you or I going out to shop at the mall, pay parking tickets, visit the grand kids, et al. We are free to do many things in life that are not representative of the (C)hurch, so why not group gatherings to watch a show, listen to a speaker, and enjoy sing-along of hymns with others, calling it our "(c)hurch"? I can call my house a castle, but that doesn't make it as sturdy and secure as a castle built with stone and a moat surrounding it filled with crockodiles.

Except a woman practicing doctrinal teaching authority in a church (with our without parentheses marks around the "c") is representative of the Church. A female pastor is not sinning by being in the pulpit. If you disagree then don't join a church that ordains women. However, don't say that those churches that do ordain women are not "a genuine, true representation of the Church on this Earth."

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

SwordmanJr

Double-edged Sword only
Nov 11, 2014
Oklahoma City
✟43,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Except a woman practicing doctrinal teaching authority in a church (with our without parentheses marks around the "c") is representative of the Church. A female pastor is not sinning by being in the pulpit. If you disagree then don't join a church that ordains women. However, don't say that those churches that do ordain women are not "a genuine, true representation of the Church on this Earth."

You must not read what others say, and what they did NOT say. I never said they were sinning.

A female doctrinal teaching authority simply does not exist in that function within the (C)hurch any more than unbelievers exist within the (C)hurch. Your refusal to accept the difference is not my problem.

Jr

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Words have meanings. One cannot refer to a human gathering which doesn't reflect its founder, Jesus', teachings and still maintain the name.

• Agree
Reactions: SwordmanJr
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That sounds rather as if you're suggesting orthodox churches (which hold to the Scriptures and the Creeds) which ordain women aren't really Christian, jimmy. I do hope that's not what you actually mean.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Words have meanings. One cannot refer to a human gathering which doesn't reflect its founder, Jesus', teachings and still maintain the name.
I don’t seem to recall Jesus saying that women couldn’t be pastors. Women stood by the cross when He was crucified, and the first person to preach the Good News of His resurrection was a woman. We know that women held important positions in the early church. Yes, the Bible does not specifically name as women as being pastors. It also doesn’t specifically list any male pastors. Actually, the term pastor is rarely used as a noun in the Bible, it more often appears as a verb.

Upvote 0