Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No argument from me. But I'm pretty sure those who do argue it are indeed baptized and have their children baptized.
Each of my six children were baptized when they came of age - repented of their sins, accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior and professed their faith in him.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟125,440.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matthew's gospel ends with what many people call the great commission which reads as follows:
Matthew 28:16-20 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. (17) When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. (18) And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'​
So, what does baptism do? It seems to be associated with making disciples. And after baptism comes teaching, or so it seems.
Baptism is a rite of passage, marking the Christian's change in their life in obedience to God.

It is similar to a marriage certificate marking the legal declaration of a married couple.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟110,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But our topic is baptism and even though circumcision has a relationship with baptism it is nevertheless not baptism.
I place very little emphasis that circumcision has anything in actuality to do with Baptism. I don't see promises attached to circumcision as I do baptism. The similarity would be both recipients of circumcision and baptism are in a passive state.

Circumcision of the OT does not share the incarnation and atonement the same way the Lord's Supper and Baptism does. I find the Flood and the Exodus prefigure Baptism more than circumcision. Of course, Calvin and Zwingli would disagree and see a strong relationship of OT covenant theology in the NT.

Still, Paul's comparison of Baptism to circumcision centers on the rejection of sin and inclusion in Christ. Baptism removes sin, as circumcison removes the flesh of the body and incorporates the Baptized into Christ's death and resurrection (NOT A SYMBOLIC INCORPORATION BUT ACTUAL) as circumcision incorporated its recipients into the saving community of Israel (NOT A SYMBOLIC INCORPORATION BUT ACTUAL) .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟200,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The question still is: What "Baptism" did Paul do for a few people but not a lot of people?
And in 1 Cor 1:14 the HOLY SPIRIT says of Paul that I BAPRIZED none f you , EXCEPT Crispus and GAIUS .

Also notice that the Greek word for WATER // HUDOR is NOT in the Greek text in verse 14 .

Then in 1 Cor 1:15 it says LEST // ME is a DISJUNCATIVE PARTICLE NEGAJUNCTIVE means it is impossible for Paul to WATER BAPTIZE ANYONE .

Lest anyone should say that I HAD BAPTIZED FOR MY NAME , as BAPATISM was to baptized { also notice the Greek word for water , HUDOR is not in the Greek text } in the name of the FATHER , SON and HOLY SPIRIT

or they were baptized in the NAME OF THE LORD JESUS , in Acts 19: 5 .

dan p

Upvote 0

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟200,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Baptism in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.
Have you ever wondered that Matt 28:19 does NEVER say WATER // HUDOR , BAPTISM ?

As WATER // HUDOR is not in the Greek text and there are more verse that NEVER use WATER // HUDOR .

dan p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dan Perez

Dec 13, 2018
Arcadia
✟200,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scholars and even those who know Greek do not have an issue for the word "water" not being used all the time. Baptism means immersion in something: the cloud and water on the sides when the Jews went through the Red Sea, the immense rain and flood around Noah's Arch, the water Jesus went down into and came out of when John the Baptist Baptized Him, the water the Eunuch went down into to be baptized and the Spirit on Pentecost.
Which "baptisms" are you saying Paul did do for a few people and avoid doing for others in Corinth (but obviously could have since he did for some)?
How will you explain Rom 6:3 that reads , Or are you IGNORANT , that as many were BAPITZED into Christ Jesus , were BAPTIZED into his DEATH !!

All should see that the Greek word for WATER // HUDOR is not in the Greek Text .

And here is another one , in 1 Cor 10:2 and reads , And ALL were BAPTIZED // BAPTIZO , unto Moses in the CLOUD and in the SEA .
So how were thousand of Jews BAPTIZED unto Moses and BAPTIZED unto the CLOUD and BAPTIZED unto the SEA ??

The only ones that were WATER BAPTIZED were the EGYPTIANS that were trying to bring back the Jews as slaves .

But do not forget the WATER BAPTISM of te Cloud and the SEA , BAPTISM ?

dan p

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟110,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So are you!
Wow! I guess my terse statement asking for a source for baptism being a "self-declaration" or a "self-nomination" was taken wrongly as intended.

I have never heard of baptism defined this way. So I inquired.

From my reading of Scripture, baptism is never spoken of as an event for the eyes of the audience. If it were the case that baptism is an event for the audience, then we would expect verses speaking about baptism to mention the individuals who witness the baptisms to be the focus, or the testimonies of individuals to be the focus. In many cases, the NT descriptions of baptisms do not have audiences.

I also do not see any testimonies from the public before baptism past "they believed."

So I politely ask of you, please give chapter and verse for defining baptism as a ""self-declaration" or a "self-nomination."

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Matthew's gospel ends with what many people call the great commission which reads as follows:
Matthew 28:16-20 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. (17) When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. (18) And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. (19) Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'​
So, what does baptism do? It seems to be associated with making disciples. And after baptism comes teaching, or so it seems.

It does exactly what the Bible says it does.

Gives new birth (John 3:3-5, Titus 3:5)
Makes disciples (Matthew 28:19)
Results in remission of sin (Acts 2:38)
Cleanses us (Ephesians 5:26)
Unites us to Jesus Christ's death, burial, and resurrection (Romans 6:3-4)
Clothes us with Jesus Himself (Galatians 3:27)
Saves us (1 Peter 3:21)

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟736,129.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What do baptism do?

Question: for those who believe in infant baptism and that Baptisim is the entrance to salvation.

If this is correct: is everyone who is baptized as an infant saved?

Of course they are. Why would God lie?

And how does an infant repent?

By growing up in discipleship, following Jesus, which involves metanoia--repentance.

Have you read the Scripture that says, "Rear up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he shall not depart from it"?

We can't control our children, especially as they get older. But we can minister to them. As we are oft to say in the Lutheran tradition, the first pastor a child has is his/her parents.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟489,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Water Baptism is the Sacrament of New Birth in Christ without which we cannot be saved.

Indeed. It is regenerative, and it puts us in the Jordan along with our Lord, God and Savior Jesus Christ. It is the means by which we are born again of water and the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟130,159.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let me ask again,.... Jesus was water immersed, what did it do for Him?
Jesus was baptised, let's not read "immersed" into the narrative.

He was baptised so that all righteousness might be fulfilled. The account reads thus:
Matthew 3:13-17 Then Jesus appeared: he came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptised by John. (14) John tried to dissuade him, with the words, 'It is I who need baptism from you, and yet you come to me!' (15) But Jesus replied, 'Leave it like this for the time being; it is fitting that we should, in this way, do all that uprightness demands.' Then John gave in to him. (16) And when Jesus had been baptised he at once came up from the water, and suddenly the heavens opened and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming down on him. (17) And suddenly there was a voice from heaven, 'This is my Son, the Beloved; my favour rests on him.'​
The effect was
  1. Fulfilling all righteousness
  2. Heaven opened and the Holy Spirit descended
  3. The Father gave witness that Jesus is his Son in whom he was well pleased.
That is what the baptism of Jesus did for him.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus was baptised, let's not read "immersed" into the narrative.
The Greek word is properly defined as "immersed, cleansed, dipped." I don't use a transliterated Greek word that might hide the proper meaning.

The effect was
  1. Fulfilling all righteousness
  2. Heaven opened and the Holy Spirit descended
  3. The Father gave witness that Jesus is his Son in whom he was well pleased.

So,...... according to scripture,.....there was no direct effect upon Jesus as He was water immersed,.... correct? We are not about to say He was born again when scripture doesn't say that,... right?

My point here is this,... why are people giving a big laundry list of things that supposedly happens to them when one is water immersed, when in fact it had no direct effect upon Jesus in scripture at all?

I think people need to take a look at this,... if they are actually being honest with themselves,..... and question why are things somehow different here. Jesus is our perfect example in all facets of our Christian life and walk, but if nothing directly happened to Him when He was water immersed, then why are people making claims that it does for them?

I came to know Jesus by repentance at the beginning of '92. I had a similar road to Damascus type of experience with Him like Paul did, but my water immersion was not until 6 months later, and it did none of the things that people make claim for in this thread,...... and why should it, I already knew Him, and more importantly,..... He knew me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0