What Do You Think of the Catholic Teaching about Mary?

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the foundation is plural when it comes to the apostles as shown in Ephes 2:20 The only exception it is not is when taking special note in 1 Cr 3:11 Which shows Jesus Christ again. Jesus Christ being the sure foundation, the stone of stumbling rock of offence and the very Apostle and High priest of our profession (in the singular sense) Heb 3:10. Same one God said he would lay in Sion (even as Christ in you) the same Jesus pointed out to Peter as the Father revealing who Jesus was to him (The Christ, the Son of the living God). And so also the Father was also pleased to reveal his Son (even the rock) in Paul Gal 1:16

Paul doesnt even mention Peter as some kind of Lord of the church in any sense of it (rock or otherwise). He acknowledges the mighty working of Christ in them both (himself included) but still seemed a little hesitent to assuredly state in any affirmative way whether Peter was even a pillar (let alone anything above that) in Galations along with James and John.

So all this special attention for Mary is void, the apostles do not do it, same with Peter not any of this we have to day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

patricius79

Called to Jesus Through Mary
Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, the foundation is plural when it comes to the apostles as shown in Ephes 2:20 The only exception it is not is when taking special note in 1 Cr 3:11 Which shows Jesus Christ again.

Yes, Christ is the Rock on which the Church is built. And he gave Simon the new and extraordinary name "Rock" and promised to build the Church on him in Matthew 16:18, Matthew 16:19. Even some major Protestant scholars like DA Carson acknowledge that this is the plain meaning of the text. And promised him the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven, which are the keys of the Chief Steward. Of course the Church is also built on the other Apostles as well, who also helped to build the early Catholic Church, which has always believed that the Mother of Jesus is the New Eve, our Mother.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We dont see eye to eye on everything but that is no surprise. And as glad as I am to get off of the topic Mary, I think I'll let go of kicking around the topic of Peter (the st rock man) and whatever succession of mini roman rock mans that would follow after him (unto whom) each new rock man gets handed Peters invisible keys.

I seriously need to fast from these conversations lol

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We dont see eye to eye on everything but that is no surprise. And as glad as I am to get off of the topic Mary, I think I'll let go of kicking around the topic of Peter (the st rock man) and whatever succession of mini roman rock mans that would follow after him (unto whom) each new rock man gets handed Peters invisible keys.

I seriously need to fast from these conversations lol

I love those invisible keys which so many folks claim to have, but, in reality, don't because they were never created to be (ab)used in the manner that these folks claim to (ab)use them.;)

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I love those invisible keys which so many folks claim to have, but, in reality, don't because they were never created to be (ab)used in the manner that these folks claim to (ab)use them.;)

Yeah I hear ya (and everytime lol)

I knew better then to but I sometimes just cant resist, but on my last post I had just posted concerning these why would keys be necessary for an entrance into or did Peter somehow share these particular keys with us prior to writing about "a ministered entrance"?

2 Peter 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly
into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My understanding is that Jesus gave St. Rock the keys to make him the Chief Steward of the Church and the foundation of the Church. This is based on the Old Testament office of the Major-Domo, who was the King's Vicar when he was away. When one died, another man took his place. i know the early Church believed that the Catholic Bishops had succeeded from the Apostles as the leaders of the Church, in union with St. Rock's Successor.

This makes sense because the Church would have to have an authoritative center so that people--whether illiterate or literate, simple or learned-- could easily find the truth about the Kingdom of God, of which our Lady, the Immaculate Mother of God, is the Queen and is our Mother.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah I hear ya (and everytime lol)

I knew better then to but I sometimes just cant resist, but on my last post I had just posted concerning these why would keys be necessary for an entrance into or did Peter somehow share these particular keys with us prior to writing about "a ministered entrance"?

2 Peter 1:11 For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly
into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

It sounds like you are saying that St. Rock isn't the only one who can go to Heaven. Of course that is true. Anyone who seeks for God can go to Heaven. This happens through the intercessory role of the our sweet Mother the New Eve, who works in dependence on the glorious New Adam, our God. The metaphoric "keys of the kingdom of heaven" signify supreme authority in the One Church.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter is deceased and Paul calls them stewards together

Peter speaks of the chief Shepherd Jesus (not of himself) as chief

1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

In Isaiah where it shows the Father laying a stone in Sion, Peter shows that chief corner stone is Jesus Christ (not himself)

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Whereas Paul pulls in both stone and rock together in the same (which again shows Jesus Christ) not Peter

Romans 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Hebrews shows the Apostle of the churches profession as being Jesus Christ (not Peter again) even High priest

Heb 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;

Peter shows the Shepherd and Bishop of their souls as Jesus Christ

1 Peter 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

There is nothing of a chief steward,

Plurally they were stewards, Paul writes,

1 Cr 4:1 Let a man so account of US, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

1 Cr 4:2 Moreover it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful.

Peter writes of plural stewards as well.

1 Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.

And Peter says this also,

1 Peter 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

The foundation is Jesus Christ Paul said (not Peter)

1 Cr 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

In any other sense of the foundation its plural with one chief (and its not Peter) but Jesus Christ again

Ephes 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostlessssssssssss and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;

Jesus, Jesus and Jesus.

Upvote 0

Fireinfolding

Dec 17, 2006
The South
✟121,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you are saying that St. Rock isn't the only one who can go to Heaven. Of course that is true. Anyone who seeks for God can go to Heaven. This happens through the intercessory role of the our sweet Mother the New Eve, who works in dependence on the glorious New Adam, our God. The metaphoric "keys of the kingdom of heaven" signify supreme authority in the One Church.

No you are a liar, and feel free to report me like your other catholic buds but I am not calling lies truth

Besides, I would rather be banned from here then sacrifice the truth of Jesus Christ just to be some online board pet

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter is deceased and Paul calls them stewards together

Of course. Though Rock isn't deceased exactly. Those who live and believe in Christ never die.

Peter speaks of the chief Shepherd Jesus (not of himself) as chief

Of course. The Pope is only the Chief Representative of Christ.

1 Peter 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Right.

In Isaiah where it shows the Father laying a stone in Sion, Peter shows that chief corner stone is Jesus Christ (not himself)

1 Peter 2:6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

Whereas Paul pulls in both stone and rock together in the same (which again shows Jesus Christ) not Peter

Romans 9:33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Right. Christ is the Rock. In the Bible God is called our Rock. And I think that's what's so remarkable about giving Simon the name "Rock" and entrusting him and his successors, the Popes, with the Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven.

The West has never respected femininity enough, but thankfully one hopeful sign is the way the Papacy has so much encouraged devotion to Jesus Christ through His Mother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No you are a liar, and feel free to report me like your other catholic buds but I am not calling lies truth

Besides, I would rather be banned from here then sacrifice the truth of Jesus Christ just to be some online board pet

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Would you explain why you think I am a liar?

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im done with catholics keep whatever it is you believe you have

I think we are going to disagree on the forums and sometimes get heated, but we should try to be civil with each other because we all are.

I believe our Heavenly Mother can help us with this a great deal, just as earthly mothers help their children to be balanced.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I think we are going to disagree on the forums and sometimes get heated, but we should try to be civil with each other because we all are.

I believe our Heavenly Mother can help us with this a great deal, just as earthly mothers help their children to be balanced.

That is a rather poor analogy. I have known a number of women who have proven to be horrible mothers.

Upvote 0

patricius79

Sep 10, 2009
✟21,391.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a rather poor analogy. I have known a number of women who have proven to be horrible mothers.

I was thinking of good earthly mothers and good women. They can help us to understand the Blessed Mother, although the Blessed Mother loves us far more than these.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
A statement i read which is really wonderful is that we must remember that Mary, the Holy Mother of Jesus was the very first Tabernacle. She was the very first to hold Our Lord. The Most Holy of any tabernacle.

Like the Ark was to hold the 'Word' of God so was Mary to hold 'THE' WORD of God!

Surely that in itself shows how much honour Our Blessed Mother deserves?

Its a shame that many people are dismissing Mary when in fact she is a direct link to Jesus. The true mother of the Son of God. Our Blessed Mother. A Holy Lady who love us, her children and wants us to go to here so that she can intercede for us.

We adore you Mary, we love you Mary.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,530.00
Faith
Non-Denom
A statement i read which is really wonderful is that we must remember that Mary, the Holy Mother of Jesus was the very first Tabernacle. She was the very first to hold Our Lord. The Most Holy of any tabernacle.

Like the Ark was to hold the 'Word' of God so was Mary to hold 'THE' WORD of God!

Its a shame that many people are dismissing Mary when in fact she is a direct link to Jesus. The true mother of the Son of God. Our Blessed Mother. A Holy Lady who love us, her children and wants us to go to here so that she can intercede for us.

The very first Tabernacle.
upload_2016-1-26_15-11-6.jpeg

Reactions: patricius79
Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible teaches that Mary, "conceived" Jesus in her womb through her relationship with the Holy Spirit (Lk 1), and that Jesus is "Lord and God" (Jn 20:28).

It seems to me that this says as much in praise of Mary as anything that the Catholic Church's Tradition (2 Thes 2:15) says.

I believe that God's creature, Mary, is the Mother of God, the Refuge of Sinners, the Ark of the Covenant, the Immaculate Conception, and the New Eve.

Without being disrespectful of others, what do you believe about Mary?
Well, according to the Bible, Mary is not to be a mediator between Jesus and Man. Jesus is the mediator between God and man and only Gods name should be glorified. I don't know if praying to Mary can be called heresy, but it's certainly against the Bible.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Only God is to be glorified. Mary is not some perfect saint who is worthy of being called "Blessed Mother." Yes, she gave birth to Jesus and that deserves to be acknowledged, but it would be unbiblical to go as far as praying to her and exalting her.

Upvote 0