What Do You Think of the Catholic Teaching about Mary?

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Only God is to be glorified. Mary is not some perfect saint who is worthy of being called "Blessed Mother." Yes, she gave birth to Jesus and that deserves to be acknowledged, but it would be unbiblical to go as far as praying to her and exalting her.

In the Bible, Mary interceded at Cana to Jesus. We can intercede to Mary to pray for us. Jesus is her Son and we are asking her to intercede for us to him.

Mary is indeed 'Blessed' and our Holy Mother. Jesus gave us his Mother when she stood at the foot of the cross and said:

John 19:26-27 New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.

Mary deserves all our love. All our thanksgiving. She is such a very Holy and Blessed Lady. The mother of God. Jesus, the true Son of the Living God.

Oh my Jesus i offer up myself to thee for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins committed against the immaculate heart of Mary
Jesus i love you, Mary i love you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
In the Bible, Mary interceded at Cana to Jesus. We can intercede to Mary to pray for us. Jesus is her Son and we are asking her to intercede for us to him.

Mary is indeed 'Blessed' and our Holy Mother. Jesus gave us his Mother when she stood at the foot of the cross and said:

John 19:26-27 New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)
26 When Jesus saw his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to his mother, “Woman, here is your son.” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.
That verse doesn't mean that Mary should be the mediator between us and God. The relationship we should have should be the same as with any other fellow believer. We ask eachother to pray for each other, but we do not actually pray to one another.

Also, you reference a Bible that is clearly biased towards Catholic beliefs (New and Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition). Please use other versions, such as the KJV, NIV, ESV, or NASB, as this would provide a more accurate and less twisted reference to scripture.

Mary deserves all our love. All our thanksgiving. She is such a very Holy and Blessed Lady. The mother of God. Jesus, the true Son of the Living God.

Oh my Jesus i offer up myself to thee for the conversion of sinners and in reparation for the sins committed against the immaculate heart of Mary
Jesus i love you, Mary i love you.
Mary, although a firm believer and mother to the man-incarnate of God, deserves nothing more than the rest of us. She was a believer like us and she was a sinner, redeemed by Christ like us. She is holy and blessed, but blessed because she was given the honor of bearing Jesus as her son, not because you and other Catholics bless her with praise.

Mary did not have an immaculate heart. She was a sinner and sinned just as everyone else. She was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, and her virginity may be the only thing immaculate about her. Do not praise Mary as you would God. This is against one of the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt not have any gods before me." And though making Mary to be a god may not be your intention, you regard Mary in the same way that you do Jesus.

Also, no sin is against Mary. Any sin committed is against God, and God alone.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
That verse doesn't mean that Mary should be the mediator between us and God. The relationship we should have should be the same as with any other fellow believer. We ask eachother to pray for each other, but we do not actually pray to one another.

Also, you reference a Bible that is clearly biased towards Catholic beliefs (New and Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition). Please use other versions, such as the KJV, NIV, ESV, or NASB, as this would provide a more accurate and less twisted reference to scripture.

Mary, although a firm believer and mother to the man-incarnate of God, deserves nothing more than the rest of us. She was a believer like us and she was a sinner, redeemed by Christ like us. She is holy and blessed, but blessed because she was given the honor of bearing Jesus as her son, not because you and other Catholics bless her with praise.

Mary did not have an immaculate heart. She was a sinner and sinned just as everyone else. She was a virgin when she gave birth to Jesus, and her virginity may be the only thing immaculate about her. Do not praise Mary as you would God. This is against one of the Ten Commandments, "Thou shalt not have any gods before me." And though making Mary to be a god may not be your intention, you regard Mary in the same way that you do Jesus.

Also, no sin is against Mary. Any sin committed is against God, and God alone.

I am sorry Lord for this persons harshness towards the Immaculate Heart of Mary. I accept any suffering in reparation for any sins committed against Our Blessed Mother

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I am sorry Lord for this persons harshness towards the Immaculate Heart of Mary. I accept any suffering in reparation for any sins committed against Our Blessed Mother
Why do you apologize as if I have sinned against God himself? And I don't mean to show disrespect to Mary, she was holy and that is why she was chosen to be the mother of Jesus. Beyond that, she was just like any other faithful Christian woman. Do not assume because of her relationship to Jesus that she is perfect and righteous. She is not perfect. The only perfect human to walk this earth was Jesus. And because she is not perfect, she must have sinned at some point in her life, and most likely many times, as all Christians do. And the Bible says that the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life. Had she not believed in Jesus and accepted Him as Lord and Savior, she would have gone to Hell with the rest of the sinners. She recieved no special treatment in regards to eternity. She had to get in the same way we have to, by salvation from sin.

Any suffering for sin has already been handled by Jesus. He took the blame for all sin that ever did and will exist when he died on the cross. And he will continue to take the blame until the Son makes his second coming.

I am sorry Lord for this man's unrepentant heart. May he be guided by the Holy Spirit to be drawn back to you.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Why do you apologize as if I have sinned against God himself? And I don't mean to show disrespect to Mary, she was holy and that is why she was chosen to be the mother of Jesus. Beyond that, she was just like any other faithful Christian woman. Do not assume because of her relationship to Jesus that she is perfect and righteous. She is not perfect. The only perfect human to walk this earth was Jesus. And because she is not perfect, she must have sinned at some point in her life, and most likely many times, as all Christians do. And the Bible says that the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life. Had she not believed in Jesus and accepted Him as Lord and Savior, she would have gone to Hell with the rest of the sinners. She recieved no special treatment in regards to eternity. She had to get in the same way we have to, by salvation from sin.

Any suffering for sin has already been handled by Jesus. He took the blame for all sin that ever did and will exist when he died on the cross. And he will continue to take the blame until the Son makes his second coming.

I am sorry Lord for this man's unrepentant heart. May he be guided by the Holy Spirit to be drawn back to you.

Obviously as a Catholic i believe differently than you do as a Baptist regarding Our Holy Mother Mary.

God bless you and maybe one day you will turn towards Mary and realise how Blessed and Holy she is. How free from sin she is and how much we all need her in this world to intercede for us to Jesus.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Obviously as a Catholic i believe differently than you do as a Baptist regarding Our Holy Mother Mary.

God bless you and maybe one day you will turn towards Mary and realise how Blessed and Holy she is. How free from sin she is and how much we all need her in this world to intercede for us to Jesus.
By using Mary as a median between you and God, you are rejecting massive amounts of scripture, and basing your beliefs on one misinterpreted verse. John 19:27 "Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home." This in no way means that Mary should be our mediator to God. This means that Jesus wanted the disciple to give sympathy and support to Mary as her son was about to be crucified. It is blasphemous to say that we need Mary to intercede for us, for there is only one mediator between man and God, and that is Jesus. 1 Timothy 2:5 states "For there is one God and one mediator between God and manking, the man Christ Jesus." And there is nothing in scripture that suggests that we need a mediator between us and Christ. I urge you to repent of your idolatry and ask for forgiveness from God. I am not telling you this as a baptist, I am telling you this as a fellow believer who seeks your well being when you face eternity.

In the Old Testament, the people of Israel needed to go to the preist to be able to communicate with God as part of the old Covenant. Now, because of Christ, we need only go to Jesus to communicate with God, as He has taken the place of the preist as mediator. Mary's role in God's plan was to fulfill the prophecy that Jesus would be virgin born. This was a great blessing, however it does not call for veneration.

If you have anything to say against this, please use scripture to support your rebuttal.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
By using Mary as a median between you and God, you are rejecting massive amounts of scripture, and basing your beliefs on one misinterpreted verse. John 19:27 "Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home." This in no way means that Mary should be our mediator to God. This means that Jesus wanted the disciple to give sympathy and support to Mary as her son was about to be crucified. It is blasphemous to say that we need Mary to intercede for us, for there is only one mediator between man and God, and that is Jesus. 1 Timothy 2:5 states "For there is one God and one mediator between God and manking, the man Christ Jesus." And there is nothing in scripture that suggests that we need a mediator between us and Christ. I urge you to repent of your idolatry and ask for forgiveness from God. I am not telling you this as a baptist, I am telling you this as a fellow believer who seeks your well being when you face eternity.

In the Old Testament, the people of Israel needed to go to the preist to be able to communicate with God as part of the old Covenant. Now, because of Christ, we need only go to Jesus to communicate with God, as He has taken the place of the preist as mediator. Mary's role in God's plan was to fulfill the prophecy that Jesus would be virgin born. This was a great blessing, however it does not call for veneration.

If you have anything to say against this, please use scripture to support your rebuttal.

That is your belief but as a Catholic mine is different as you know. Our Blessed Mother has been very much hurt and offended by those who push her to one side. I pray that the world will go to her and ask her to pray for us. I pray that the world will recognise her as the true Mother of God, Jesus, Our Saviour.

Mary is such a Holy Mother of ours and she deserves utmost respect and honour. She is the true Tabernacle of Jesus. She is the Queen of Heaven. She is the Mother of Mercy.

We adore you Blessed Mother.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That is your belief but as a Catholic mine is different as you know. Our Blessed Mother has been very much hurt and offended by those who push her to one side. I pray that the world will go to her and ask her to pray for us. I pray that the world will recognise her as the true Mother of God, Jesus, Our Saviour.

Mary is such a Holy Mother of ours and she deserves utmost respect and honour. She is the true Tabernacle of Jesus. She is the Queen of Heaven. She is the Mother of Mercy.

We adore you Blessed Mother.
You ignored my request and failed to bring up scripture supporting what you believe.

I understand that it may be hard to give up a belief that you've held on to for so long. I was deeply disturbed to find that most of my original beliefs were proven wrong by scripture, yet I accepted that I was wrong and followed God's command.

You on the other hand, being presented with scripture (1 Timothy 2:5), openly reject God and his word. I hope you come to realize that what you believe is utterly untrue.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
You ignored my request and failed to bring up scripture supporting what you believe.

I understand that it may be hard to give up a belief that you've held on to for so long. I was deeply disturbed to find that most of my original beliefs were proven wrong by scripture, yet I accepted that I was wrong and followed God's command.

You on the other hand, being presented with scripture (1 Timothy 2:5), openly reject God and his word. I hope you come to realize that what you believe is utterly untrue.

Have read:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/browse/mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
But [Christ] holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues for ever. Consequently, he is able for all time to save those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them.

Christ is our one mediator/intercessor, yet, St. Paul commands all Christians to be intercessors/mediators. Then notice the first word in verse five: “For there is one God and one mediator…” And then in verse seven he says, “For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle.” What is an apostle if not a mediator? The very definition of apostle, according to Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, is “a delegate, messenger, one sent forth with orders.” That’s an essential part of what a mediator is.

Mary died and no longer serves the purpose of mediator. She was not an apostle or a preist, she was the mother of Jesus. She may have served as interceder in her time of life, but now she has gone to be with the Lord and therefore has served her purpose. There is no need for her to intercede if there are preists and pastors today to intercede for us as "lesser and subordinate" mediators. Jesus is the only mediator to keep his position post-death, because he rose from the grave and is no longer dead.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Read my response above. I forgot to quote you when I posted.

Well, you have different beliefs in Our Blessed Mother than i do. I hope that one day you will welcome her into your heart and ask her to intercede for you. Jesus wants us to go to his Mother just like he said on the cross when he Gave his Mother to John and gave John to his mother.

John 19:26-27 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
26 When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Well, you have different beliefs in Our Blessed Mother than i do. I hope that one day you will welcome her into your heart and ask her to intercede for you. Jesus wants us to go to his Mother just like he said on the cross when he Gave his Mother to John and gave John to his mother.

John 19:26-27 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
26 When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.
I have already addressed this verse before. It does not mean that God wanted Mary to intercede for us as you believe, instead Jesus gave John to Mary so that he could give sympathy and support for her in Jesus' passing.

I do not need to welcome Mary in my heart as I have already accepted Jesus and I have a direct relationship with Him as mediator to God. This is the relationship God intended his people to have with Him when Jesus died on the cross. No longer would anyone have to see the preist to communicate with God, now the only one they would have to go through is Jesus.

Do not assume because Mary gave virgin birth that she served any purpose beyond fulfilling the prophecy of the virgin birth. Also, remember that Mary lost her virginity when she gave birth to Jesus' brothers James, Joses, and Judas by Joseph, the husband of Mary. So she was not perpetually virgin.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I have already addressed this verse before. It does not mean that God wanted Mary to intercede for us as you believe, instead Jesus gave John to Mary so that he could give sympathy and support for her in Jesus' passing.

I do not need to welcome Mary in my heart as I have already accepted Jesus and I have a direct relationship with Him as mediator to God. This is the relationship God intended his people to have with Him when Jesus died on the cross. No longer would anyone have to see the preist to communicate with God, now the only one they would have to go through is Jesus.

Do not assume because Mary gave virgin birth that she served any purpose beyond fulfilling the prophecy of the virgin birth. Also, remember that Mary lost her virginity when she gave birth to Jesus' brothers James, Joses, and Judas by Joseph, the husband of Mary. So she was not perpetually virgin.

You read what you want to believe in scripture. James etc could very well have been Josephs children as he could very well have been married before! Nothing says they were the children of Mary!

Please read this:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/mary-ever-virgin

She was not just a 'vessel'. She is and was pure in heart, sinless. She is the Mother of God and Jesus wanted us to be her children as she is our Holy Mother.

Its a shame that you push her to one side like you do. I Offer myself to Jesus in reparations for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I cannot persuade you otherwise and you are lost in your beliefs but maybe God will open your heart to Mary one day. God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Perpetual virginity is only really an issue if you believe that sexual relations are somehow impure or less than ideal, even if between a husband and a wife. If you believe that somehow, and in some way, Mary was sinless (impossible as she was, of the flesh, descended from Adam), and you further believe that sexual relations within the marital union are impure, then I could see how Mary's eternal virginity could become a "thing". If, however, you believe that Mary actually fulfilled all her duties as Joseph's wife AND Jesus' mother, then this perpetual virginity thing doesn't work. Doesn't work at all.

And Joseph would definitely be getting the short end of the stick in that he honored his betrothed, was loyal to the commands of God, and essentially, also had to die a perpetual virgin or be guilty of adultery. Bummer for you, Joe.

Upvote 0

supersoldier71

Sinner, saved by Grace
Jan 19, 2011
Far, far away from home
✟10,260.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"But what about Romans 3:23, "all have sinned"? Have all people committed actual sins? Consider a child below the age of reason. By definition he can’t sin, since sinning requires the ability to reason and the ability to intend to sin. This is indicated by Paul later in the letter to the Romans when he speaks of the time when Jacob and Esau were unborn babies as a time when they "had done nothing either good or bad" (Rom. 9:11).
We also know of another very prominent exception to the rule: Jesus (Heb. 4:15). So if Paul’s statement in Romans 3 includes an exception for the New Adam (Jesus), one may argue that an exception for the New Eve (Mary) can also be made. "

This is a very dangerous piece of bad theology excerpted from the tract.

"All have sinned" more correctly means that all are sinners. Children below the age of reason may or may not have sinned, but are still tainted by Original Sin as children of Adam.

the second paragraph is even more troubling because it claims that Jesus is an exception, which patently absurd when He is the standard that everyone sins against in the passage:

"...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God...." Romans 3:23 Jesus IS God, so He cannot be an exception, He is the standard we have all fallen short of.

So one may argue in favor of it as the tract says, but if they choose to do so, they are arguing a lie.

Upvote 0

DTate98

Official CF User
Jan 3, 2016
Carrollton, TX
✟19,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You read what you want to believe in scripture. James etc could very well have been Josephs children as he could very well have been married before! Nothing says they were the children of Mary!

Please read this:

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/mary-ever-virgin

She was not just a 'vessel'. She is and was pure in heart, sinless. She is the Mother of God and Jesus wanted us to be her children as she is our Holy Mother.

Its a shame that you push her to one side like you do. I Offer myself to Jesus in reparations for the sins committed against the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

I cannot persuade you otherwise and you are lost in your beliefs but maybe God will open your heart to Mary one day. God bless you.
You are assuming way too much about Mary. Tell me all that she has done in the Bible that can amount to what Jesus, Moses, Paul, or John had done in their lives. She gave birth to Jesus and followed Him throughout His life. We are not to be children of Mary, we are to be children of God.

It's a shame that you divide your love and adoration between a God and a human. She believed and followed God with all her heart. Thousands of women live today who are just as devout as Mary was, yet no one gives them praise. The only thing that sets Mary apart is the fact that she gave birth to God. Do not idolize her as this is a sin and it is against the Bible to pray to Mary. This is not a matter of what I believe, but what the Bible clearly says about mediators. Jesus is the only way to Heaven and He is to be the only mediator between God and mankind.

You cannot offer yourself to make reparations for sin as you are imperfect. Jesus is the only person to walk this earth that can take that responsibility as He lived a sinless life.

Mary was a sinner just like the rest of us. She does not deserve the praise you think she deserves. And she should definitely not be put on the same level as God himself. For there are none that are righteous other than Jesus Christ the Son of God. She was a fulfillment to the prophecy of virgin birth and raised Jesus as her son. She is not on the level of deity.

Joseph did not have any children prior to marrying Mary. Jesus grew up with His brothers and they grew up with Him. Mary did not stay virgin for the rest of her life. Read the Bible (An actually accurate Bible that isn't made by Catholics, but rather a literal English translation) and you will see that Jesus is the only one that walked this earth whose name may be glorified. Mary was a fellow believer, not the Holy Mother.

It seems that you have turned a blind eye to scripture and I pray that you change your ways. Catholicism is full of false doctrine. I hope you realize this someday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0