United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Democrat
A different read:
Hebrews 6:4-6 The Passion Translation (TPT)
A Warning to Never Turn Away

4 It is impossible to restore an apostate. [a] For once a person has come into God’s light, and tasted the gifts of the heavenly realm, and has received the Holy Spirit, [b] 5 and feasted on the good Word of God, and has entered into the power of the age that is breaking in, [c] 6 if he abandons his faith, there is no use even trying to lead him to repentance. By their sin of apostasy [d] they re-crucify the Son of God, [e] and have publicly repudiated him. [f]

Footnotes:
[a] Hebrews 6:4 That is, one who has abandoned their faith. Because of the extraordinary length of the Greek sentence, this summary statement implied in the text is given here at the beginning of the paragraph for the sake of English narrative. To say it is impossible does not mean that God cannot bring them to repentance, but that he chooses to leave them in their hardened state, much like Pharaoh who hardened his heart to God. The Aramaic is very clear, “they cannot be renewed to conversion.”
Hebrews 6:4 Or “has been in [business] partnership with the Holy Spirit.”
[c] Hebrews 6:5 Or “the age that is about to come.”
[d] Hebrews 6:6 As translated from the Aramaic and implied in the Greek.
[e] Hebrews 6:6 Or “it is impossible to crucify the Son of God again for them to change their own minds!”
[f] Hebrews 6:6 Or “have made a public spectacle of him.” The Aramaic can be translated “insulted the Son of God.”

Good Post,

The Unpardonable Sin

Matt.12:31(YLT) of this I say to you, all sin and evil speaking shall be forgiven to men, but the evil speaking of the Spirit shall not be forgiven to men. 32And whoever may speak a word against the Son of Man it shall be forgiven to him, but whoever may speak against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this age, nor in that which is coming.

2Cor.5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sinful lifestyles.
And having those sinful lifestyles forever, also called "eternal death", but the "sin" is "unbelief", or unbeliever's, lack of, and/or rejecting the Covenant of Faith, who were exposed to the truth but and/or rejected it... And/or/maybe lack of love, when they should have loved also maybe...

I Heard that that covenant goes back to the very beginning, that Abel sacrificed by Faith, and Noah worked by Faith, and Abraham believed by Faith... All by Faith, way before the Law, or letter of the Law...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And having those sinful lifestyles forever, also called "eternal death", but the "sin" is "unbelief", or unbeliever's, lack of, and/or rejecting the Covenant of Faith, who were exposed to the truth but and/or rejected it... And/or/maybe lack of love, when they should have loved also maybe...

I Heard that that covenant goes back to the very beginning, that Abel sacrificed by Faith, and Noah worked by Faith, and Abraham believed by Faith... All by Faith, way before the Law, or letter of the Law...

God Bless!
The root of all sin, including unbelief is hatred. Love fulfills the law, hatred breaks it.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The root of all sin, including unbelief is hatred. Love fulfills the law, hatred breaks it.
I would say hatred is a result or fruit of unbelief, or one of them,

Godly Love is very good... And can cure what comes from, or even what causes "unbelief" and/or wrong belief...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say hatred is a result or fruit of unbelief, or one of them,

Godly Love is very good... And can cure what comes from, or even what causes "unbelief" and/or wrong belief...

God Bless!
But we lack the capacity for love of God and faith in him apart from the new birth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Salvation imo is the rescue from the product of sin which for the immediate is separation from God.
And sometime the cause (of sin), even the desire for, and also, not even affected by (in time)... And yes, for the immediate, not forever... Not completely separated though, but there is a "rift", I guess you could say, a gap, a divide, for some, a chasm...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And sometime the cause (of sin), even the desire for, and also, not even affected by (in time)... And yes, for the immediate, not forever... Not completely separated though, but there is a "rift", I guess you could say, a gap, a divide, for some, a chasm...

God Bless!
A homeless man being rescued from the streets and then employed at a place where he has no skill but is taught the skill does not differentiate between the rescue and learning a skill as the two represent the same thing.

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Verse reads:
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 [c]if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

I am assuming Paul wrote it.....
Paul is talking to the Jews about their walk with Christ. Some walk and drink milk, some walk and eat solid food. This verse speaks of those who have tasted God's gift but turned back to the "law" as their form of salvation. Paul warns that if a person falls back to the law the Spirit is basically quenched and they no longer partake in the Body of Christ. They have elected to crucify Christ over and over again through the ritual of temple sacrifice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just want to throw this out Jason. This is one of the rare times I disagree with the placement of chapters. Clearly, since Hebrews 6:1 begins with "therefore," the author is about to expound on something that was just said. And the context is pretty clear, Hebrew 5:11-14 should have been the first 4 verses of chapter 6.

As for what the verses are saying... I think in light of Israel having been cut off (when they were punished and taken into Assyria) that these verses are saying, "not once saved always saved." Galatians 4 has Paul concerned for a people who came to Christ and were known by God at that point, and he is trying his best to keep them from going back to their old ways. Why? Why would it matter if we can't lose what was given to us? The Hebrews verses here seem to say we can lose our salvation. I don't like it... but my feelings don't get to dictate the Scripture. :)

Upvote 0

thomasanderson

Nov 17, 2018
California
✟1,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.” (Hebrews 6:4–6) (KJV 1900)

I believe this is speaking of someone who is advanced in the faith. If they were to fall away the salt would lose its flavor and it would be hard for it too become salty again.

Matthew 5:13
You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe this is speaking of someone who is advanced in the faith. If they were to fall away the salt would lose its flavor and it would be hard for it too become salty again.

Matthew 5:13
You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
There are two types of faith in scripture. Head faith that is a reaction to external stimuli.

“Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,” (John 2:23–24) (KJV 1900)

And then we have genuine faith, a fruit of the Holy Spirit.

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” (Galatians 5:22) (KJV 1900)

In the parable of the sower, 3/4 wash out and only the seed planted in good ground (the new birth) survives.

Upvote 0

thomasanderson

Nov 17, 2018
California
✟1,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,” (Galatians 5:22) (KJV 1900)

The key word here is actually “faithfulness” which is quite different from “faith”.

• Agree
Reactions: StillGods
Upvote 0