Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I wasn't sure so I tried to google the answer. It varies by state apparently. Parental consent is of course necessary. Many now do home schooling, so maybe that could be used as a loophole in some states. I don't know if the Amish are exempt from the state laws.
In Pennsylvania a 1972 Supreme Court ruling exempted the Amish and Old Order Mennonites from compulsory school attendance laws beyond the eighth grade.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Sure they're born in depravity like everybody else.
But is it using the internet when someone else does it for you?

It seems that's it's OK for Amish to use the internet as long as someone else does it for them? A while back there was a reality TV show called Amish Mafia. Overall it struck me as they too have all the social flaws of today but without the technology.

There is a big difference between "social flaws" and "depravity" (of man).

The society of the Amish, Mennonites, etc, has a multitude FEWER ABOMINATIONS
than other societies/ groups/ Christian groups.

Technology great increases the sins and oppression of the poor and the temptations and the "social flaws" , the more it is used.

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a big difference between "social flaws" and "depravity" (of man).

The society of the Amish, Mennonites, etc, has a multitude FEWER ABOMINATIONS
than other societies/ groups/ Christian groups.

Technology great increases the sins and oppression of the poor and the temptations and the "social flaws" , the more it is used.
I was referring to the depravity in our heart which results in our actions towards one another. The Amish may on the outside have a more upright living standard but if God's Word is correct that is only because there is a greater oversight amongst the 'community' through rules, regulations and the fear of being 'shunned'.
IOW, they need a new heart (born again) just like everyone else as they are born just as sinful as everyone else.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was referring to the depravity in our heart which results in our actions towards one another. The Amish may on the outside have a more upright living standard but if God's Word is correct that is only because there is a greater oversight amongst the 'community' through rules, regulations and the fear of being 'shunned'.
IOW, they need a new heart (born again) just like everyone else as they are born just as sinful as everyone else.

There was an elementary school shooting in Lancaster back in 2006. One room school house. It was said the older children offered themselves as human shields to protect the younger

Amish School Shooting in Lancaster PA

What was special about this was the way the Amish forgave. Amish Grace and Forgiveness - LancasterPA.com

The Amish even went so far as to comfort the family of the deranged killer.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There was an elementary school shooting in Lancaster back in 2006. One room school house. It was said the older children offered themselves as human shields to protect the younger

Amish School Shooting in Lancaster PA

What was special about this was the way the Amish forgave. Amish Grace and Forgiveness - LancasterPA.com

The Amish even went so far as to comfort the family of the deranged killer.
I know, I saw that great movie on YT (full version) called 'Amish Grace'. It is a real tear jerker.

• Informative
Reactions: Chris V++
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Although I respect the Amish and think there are a lot of VERY good things about their way of life, I think they are too cult-like (or actually a cult, even). They are too extreme in certain things. One perfect example is their practice of having their teeth pulled - even a full mouth of healthy teeth - because they don't value their teeth. They believe having healthy teeth is too costly and wasteful, too time-consuming, and that it is also vanity to want to keep your teeth healthy and looking good. Things like that are foolish to me. We are given our teeth by God to use and enjoy (not to mention they are a necessity). The Amish will just have them all pulled and replace them with dentures.

I won't get into the other stuff but things like shunning family members who leave the order and other cruel practices are off-putting and I certainly disagree with them also.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Another interesting and weird thing, from a Christian perspective, about the Amish is that as far as I know they lack an evangelical outreach. For all the emphasis God's Word puts on sharing the Gospel and being missionaries the Amish seem to eschew all of that in order to support their separation from the world in an extreme manner. I would think they'd have some kind of evangelical outreach if they are so concerned with carrying out God's Will but they seem to ignore this completely.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

Fear of being shamed or shunned can be a deterrent as it is among Mormons. And all churches, no matter what anyone thinks, have some mentally ill and/or sinners among them. For instance a drug-addicted Amish person murdered a local public school teacher.

Some Amish arrested in Ohio:
Sam Mullet, Amish bishop who orchestrated beard-cutting attacks, asks judge to overturn his sentence - cleveland.com

I appreciate the Amish, but I agree that everyone needs the new birth.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Although I respect the Amish and think there are a lot of VERY good things about their way of life, I think they are too cult-like (or actually a cult, even). They are too extreme in certain things. One perfect example is their practice of having their teeth pulled - even a full mouth of healthy teeth - because they don't value their teeth. They believe having healthy teeth is too costly and wasteful, too time-consuming, and that it is also vanity to want to keep your teeth healthy and looking good. Things like that are foolish to me. We are given our teeth by God to use and enjoy (not to mention they are a necessity). The Amish will just have them all pulled and replace them with dentures.

I won't get into the other stuff but things like shunning family members who leave the order and other cruel practices are off-putting and I certainly disagree with them also.

I've never hear that about their teeth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Actually Amish tend to have healthier teeth and gums than most people because they eat fewer sweets. I have heard about Amish in some groups having healthy teeth pulled and getting dentures because it is more cost effective, but I don't think that is the norm among the Amish.

Upvote 0

steve78

Jan 18, 2011
✟18,341.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
They are a people with a deep faith in God.
It is very easy for you to get to know them ... go and live with them!

The tragedy of the Internet is that people "think it is better". In reality, the Internet is doing more to destroy Christianity than all other things combined.

I suggested to people here before. If you want to get to really know God ... sell your TV. cancel your FB account, and cancel Twitter.

Too many false prophets around today. Cutting yourself off from technology makes you rather vunerable to questionable teachings.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Too many false prophets around today. Cutting yourself off from technology makes you rather vunerable to questionable teachings.

Again noting that accepting "science" as a reason to do what is opposed to Jesus,

is not so good as accepting what God Says, relying and trusting Him,
and
doing what He says instead of anything science says opposed to Him.

When people put their trust in man, they already have failed. (as Jesus says)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It seems that's it's OK for Amish to use the internet as long as someone else does it for them? A while back there was a reality TV show called Amish Mafia. Overall it struck me as they too have all the social flaws of today but without the technology.

That show was fake and exploitative because the producers can get away with it. Reality shows are all faked

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,768.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Actually Amish tend to have healthier teeth and gums than most people because they eat fewer sweets. I have heard about Amish in some groups having healthy teeth pulled and getting dentures because it is more cost effective, but I don't think that is the norm among the Amish.
You have never ate much Amish baking and deserts I wager. LOL. Red-meat, sugar and butter are the three main food groups!

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That show was fake and exploitative because the producers can get away with it. Reality shows are all faked
Yes there are a number of fake Amish shows usually showing them as some hyper- legalistic-prehistoric-fundamentalists who can't see past the ends of their beards...sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0