USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the Amish represent the closest thing we have to early Christianity as far as their house meetings, working elders, and community spirit. So I use them as a visual representation or commentary of what church ought to be. On other matters I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
BTW, do you have to know another language, like Old Dutch, to worship with the Amish?? I dont know.

They are descendants of Germans, not Dutch. They are called "Pennsylvania Dutch' by mistake. It should really have been 'Pennsylvania Deutsch' which is German.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I can't ask them anything since they don't use the Internet.
Talk to them in person, they are very friendly and the ones in our area are very community oriented. They are good humored, and enjoy a good joke as much as the rest of us. We have a good number that are members at our gun club, and may be the only gun-club in Ontario with a hitching rail for horses.

Their doctrine is a very austere form or Arminian Protestantism which includes a complete separation of Church and state, and while in fellowship with other Amish groups, there is not central governance; each congregation is autonomous, with an elected leader (Bishop) and other preachers and ministers also elected. Some have meeting houses; some meet at each others houses in turn; haling portable benches around on a wagon from farm to farm. Often the only grave markers in their cemeteries are small with only two initials on them.

Theologically, they share little with the Orthodox, Catholic, Anglican or Lutheran, with the exception that they continue to use Luther's German Bible with Apocrypha both in Church and in their schools to teach German. This is why their dialect is quite different from continental German as it is very dated and they also use English words where an equivalent can not be found in Luther's Bible.

While we don't share many things theologically, but we do share this world, and we do respect each others faith and traditions.

Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟676,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you want some insight into their culture (at least the Hollywood interpretation) there is a 1980's Harrison Ford movie called Witness set in Amish country. Witness (1985 film) - Wikipedia

I used to work in a town on the edge of a large community so picked up some facts about them. They don't put faces on dolls since the face reflects the soul. They obviously dress modestly and don't wear makeup (sometimes I'd see them sneak into country bars wearing makeup. It was sort of sweet since they wern't that experienced applying it.) They all aren't pacifists. I was told if you mess with one from Ohio they might just push back, and since they are accustomed to manual labor in all likelihood theyll probably come out on top. They stop shaving when they marry. They will shun if you reject their ways but accept you back if you repent. They do pay taxes.(they've been accused of not paying taxes. ) I think they stop school after 8th grade. I heard something about them officially joining the church when they come of age. They are heavy into alternative medicine, herbs. They aren't forced to join and eventually either decide to join or often times leave the community. If society ever collapses and we don't have electricity or fuel, they will be the ones riding around and keeping warm in the winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want some insight into their culture (at least the Hollywood interpretation) there is a 1980's Harrison Ford movie called Witness set in Amish country. Witness (1985 film) - Wikipedia

I used to work in a town on the edge of a large community so picked up some facts about them. They don't put faces on dolls since the face reflects the soul. They obviously dress modestly and don't wear makeup (sometimes I'd see them sneak into country bars wearing makeup. It was sort of sweet since they wern't that experienced applying it.) They all aren't pacifists. I was told if you mess with one from Ohio they might just push back, and since they are accustomed to manual labor in all likelihood theyll probably come out on top. They stop shaving when they marry. They will shun if you reject their ways but accept you back if you repent. They do pay taxes.(they've been accused of not paying taxes. ) I think they stop school after 8th grade. I heard something about them officially joining the church when they come of age. They are heavy into alternative medicine, herbs. They aren't forced to join and eventually either decide to join or often times leave the community. If society ever collapses and we don't have electricity or fuel, they will be the ones riding around and keeping warm in the winter.

Is 8th grade the minimum legal requirement in the US?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Certainly their lifestyle is better for the planet. I don’t know a great deal about their belief system.

I know this much: it is very inconvenient and boring in its original form. Many Amish people are forced to do things against their beliefs and try to adapt to the modern world. It is like being stuck in the 1800s. They believe in not owning stuff for themselves, especially nothing fancy or bright. I do not know what theirr issue with driving is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They are descendants of Germans, not Dutch. They are called "Pennsylvania Dutch' by mistake. It should really have been 'Pennsylvania Deutsch' which is German.

...Church of Philadelphia...?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I consider myself Amish but still on Rumspringa.

There's that word again...what is that..."Rumspringa"?

*Okay...I'll Google...

**"Rumspringa (Pennsylvania German pronunciation: [rʊmˈʃprɪŋə]), also spelled Rumschpringe or Rumshpringa, is a rite of passage during adolescence, translated in English as "jumping/hopping around", used in some Amish and Mennonite communities."

Oh, okay...like spring break...drink a lot of rum...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
So is Shabbat keeping and giving the land its Shabbats...I wonder if they do this?

We have had some Amish who left their church, but kept the simple way of life but they geared it to SDA teachings, they brought in other Amish. Lovely people.

Upvote 0

KernelPanic

Jan 13, 2017
US
✟27,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have had first-hand discussions with Amish about puppy mills. There certainly are some inhumane puppy mills operated by Amish, but they are few and far between. 99% of Amish don't run puppy mills, and of the ones who do, I'd wager that only a handful of them are inhumane. It's definitely not fair to imply that Amish society as a whole is cruel to dogs because of the actions of a few bad apples.
To give some background, I live in Pennsylvania, which has a large percentage of Amish population. Recently, one of my neighbors adopted a dog from a Amish breeder that lives probably within 20 miles of us. The dog was unable to have any more pups and the guy was just going to get rid of her. Fortunately, someone managed to convince him to give it up to a shelter, but apparently his initial response was basically, "Why?". He didn't see any value to the dog whatsoever.

In addition, the biggest dog breeding county in PA is in Lancaster, which, surprise, has large Amish populations. Yeah, it may not be all Amish, but that thought of animals=disposable things is certainly more prevalent even in smaller groups such as where I live. Some people say it's an "old-school" mentality, but quite frankly we have Orthodox saints showing kindness to animals, so I don't buy that as an excuse.

Most Amish don't work on farms and live off the land since there's not enough of it to go around. Most have to seek jobs in the "real world" to get employment. Even still, you're going to be limited to manual labor since you won't have a college education or exposure to technology. Not exactly glamorous work.

Also, there's a darker side to living in a cloistered community. A lot of child abuse and rape tends to get covered up.

Victims of Amish Sexual Abuse | Peaceful Societies

Why I Left The Amish

• Informative
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Mostly good people who wish no harm to anybody, allow everybody else to live and let live in peace, and all they demand from anybody is to be able to live and let live in peace themselves.

We don't have to be or live like the Amish to learn that that is the very best formula that anybody can offer for domestic tranquility and world peace.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I kind of like the lifestyle, but not the religious beliefs and convictions they have. Aren't they a split from the Anabaptist? They are an unreached people group, believing in a works-based salvation from what I hear.
I don't believe in rebaptism, so I can't say I approve their theology

Upvote 0