• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured What do you think about the Amish?

Discussion in 'Denomination Specific Theology' started by David Cabrera, May 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bbbbbbb

bbbbbbb Well-Known Member

+9,437
    Non-Denom
    To their credit, the Amish have not sought any of the publicity. They are similar to the ultra-orthodox Jews, who also have gained more interest than they merit. People seem to gravitate to extremes, whether in religion or politics or any other area of life.

2. MarkRohfrietsch

MarkRohfrietsch Unapologetic Apologist Supporter

+3,662
    Lutheran
    Married
    I'm not sure that I would call them "separatist", their services are as open as our LCC/LCMS are, and their communion is no more closed than ours... but for different reasons.

I would call them more legalistic than most fundamentalists. They rely on the personal interpretation of Scripture of their Elders, Bishops and Preachers; yet they do emphasize the simplicity of faith being key to salvation. This is a paradox IMO, simple faith, but strict observance of the law.

I still value my Amish and Mennonite friends, their simple faith, and good humor, and when attending funerals, their amazing singing in their Churches. I am saddened, that by our theological standards, they they do not see the Sacraments as means of grace; but at the same time, even we Lutherans recognize that faith is enough.

3. Radagast

Radagast is a Trinitarian Christian

+6,921
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Actually, just about every strand of Protestantism has a group within it that takes those things extremely seriously.

4. bbbbbbb

+9,437
    Non-Denom
    Quite true.

5. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+19,843
    Anglican
    Married
    Yeh, but our strand is better than their strand. :p

6. Augustus_33AD

Augustus_33AD New Member

+33
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Celibate
    I think they're Jansenist.

7. bbbbbbb

+9,437
    Non-Denom
    How do you make that connection?

8. Augustus_33AD

Augustus_33AD New Member

+33
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Celibate
    They hate all pleasure and think technology is evil for some reason.

9. bbbbbbb

+9,437
    Non-Denom
    I was unaware that these were core beliefs of Jansenists. Perhaps you might with to add this information to the Wikipedia article here - Jansenism - Wikipedia

10. Augustus_33AD

Augustus_33AD New Member

+33
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Celibate
    Well, technically they're not core theological beliefs but they are some of their core beliefs.

11. bbbbbbb

+9,437
    Non-Denom
    If they are, indeed, core beliefs of Jansenists, how do you know about them? I have not encountered any evidence of these being critical aspects of Jansenism.

12. Augustus_33AD

Augustus_33AD New Member

+33
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Celibate
    It's not so much only the Jansenists, it's because of their Calvinist ideas. The Amish like the jansenists think alcohol is evil and such. I heard from a talk by Sir Charles Coloumbe and Dr. Bill Biersach on the topic.

13. Augustus_33AD

Augustus_33AD New Member

+33
    United States
    Traditional. Cath.
    Celibate
    If I'm wrong about any of the things I have said btw feel free to correct me.

14. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+15,185
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    I respect them for their commitment to non-violence, but have little agreement with much else in the broader Anabaptist tradition.

-CryptoLutheran