Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I suppose it wouldn't be "salvation," but more like a works-based system to enter some place of glory. I met a guy who believed he went through enough *censored* in life that he has the right to enter Valhalla. I thought they believed you entered it if you died in combat? Who knows.
And you question that?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You have to go through a bunch of [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] to enter Valhalla, as do you to enter the gates of Heaven.

How much do you have to do?

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My old boss was an Old Order Amish woman, super nice and super hard working. Also had a number of Amish co-workers, I still have some of their business cards. What you'll find is that Amish are regular people like you and me, with some peculiar traditions. Some are not so willing to talk to outsiders, and others sneak cell phones around in the folds of their dresses and under their hats. ^_^

What fascinates me is that the Amish celebrate some holy days in common with us Orthodox. I was surprised to find that they also celebrate our Feast of the Nativity as "Old Christmas" for example.

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I can't ask them anything since they don't use the Internet.

I used to somewhat admire them. Now I don't always see them as a people to be admired. There's a lot of good they could be doing as Christians in the world and they'd rather live in isolation and cut off from modern society as much as possible.

Jesus said to not be of the world but He did say that we have to be in the world.

Plus, if you know anything about Amish Puppy Mills you'd be disgusted as well. It's awful what goes on in the Amish community with the inhumane and cruel breeding of dogs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gideon123

Humble Servant of God
Dec 25, 2011
USA
✟59,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that they are isolated. And i also agree that really God does not ask us to become separted.

Yet, i do respect the Amish. They are fully consistent with their beliefs. They have chosen to believe in the whole Bible, including a literal interpretation of Genesis 1. My point of view about Genesis is different. But i can certainly respect people who are wholly consistent with their lifestyle.

I freely admit that i dont know the details of their Christian beliefs.

BTW, do you have to know another language, like Old Dutch, to worship with the Amish?? I dont know.

The Amish are raising natural and organic crops, which is a very important diversification of our agriculture system.

I have absolutely no idea what 'amish puppy mills' is about. Is it real, or some sort of internet conspiracy theory against the Amish?? Who knows. One of the truly disappointing things about the Internet is the huge amount of unfounded gossip. This is not a criticism of anyone on this forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree that they are isolated. And i also agree that really God does not ask us to become separted.

Yet, i do respect the Amish. They are fully consistent with their beliefs. They have chosen to believe in the whole Bible, including a literal interpretation of Genesis 1. My point of view about Genesis is different. But i can certainly respect people who are wholly consistent with their lifestyle.

In addition the Amish are raising natural and organic crops, which is a very important diversification of our agriculture system.

I have absolutely no idea what 'amish puppy mills' is about. Is it real, or some sort of internet conspiracy theory against the Amish?? Who knows. One of the truly disappointing things about the Internet is the huge amount of unfounded gossip. This is not a criticism of anyone on this forum.

I have had first-hand discussions with Amish about puppy mills. There certainly are some inhumane puppy mills operated by Amish, but they are few and far between. 99% of Amish don't run puppy mills, and of the ones who do, I'd wager that only a handful of them are inhumane. It's definitely not fair to imply that Amish society as a whole is cruel to dogs because of the actions of a few bad apples.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Leaving the world has been something that goes back to the Ancient Church and we really can not say that God does not call people to that, He can do as He wills.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think it should be noted that most Amish actually contribute quite a bit to their community as well. They will help their neighbors (both Amish and non-Amish) in times of disaster or hardship, they own grocery stores, sell local produce, create jobs within the community and are good taxpaying citizens - and yes, Amish do pay taxes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have had first-hand discussions with Amish about puppy mills. There certainly are some inhumane puppy mills operated by Amish, but they are few and far between. 99% of Amish don't run puppy mills, and of the ones who do, I'd wager that only a handful of them are inhumane. It's definitely not fair to imply that Amish society as a whole is cruel to dogs because of the actions of a few bad apples.

Same with any kind of animal breeding and livestock rearing in general. Some people just don't think being cruel to animals is particularly wrong, unfortunately, and standards of what cruelty means vary a lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0