pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is an interesting question. If they are not married, then I think according to law, they are considered single. I think that is what they would put on their tax forms isn't it?
As far as the actuality of their lives - that depends upon their relationships with each other and with their own and each other's children.
Sounds complex, but it probably happens a lot.

Upvote 0

~Mrs. A2J~

According to your faith will it be done to you
Aug 13, 2004
South Texas
Visit site
✟10,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, interesting question. My sister is not married but lives with her boyfriend. I wouldn't consider her a single mom because her and her boyfriend live and raise their son together. Though technically according to the government anyways she is a single mom.

And then on the flip side I'm sure married mothers whose husbands work away from home (eg. military wives) are not considered single mothers though essentially that's what they are, caring for and raising their children alone while their husbands are away.

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No I wouldn't- they are living together and raising children together.

And in Australia people who are co-habiting are not considered single parents. It's one of those things that certain gov't benefits hinge on, so there is a lot of deception going on for certain people ie: "No he's not my boyfriend, we just hang out together sometimes" (even though said boyfriend has been living with the woman for the last 6 months).

Upvote 0

Linnis

Legend
Jun 27, 2005
✟30,668.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know most people who live together and claim to be single parents. Legally they are which means more taxes, food stamps etc. I think however if there are 2 adults parenting a child or children together then they aren't -single- parents since that would imply one is parenting alone.

I have a few friends who are living with a BF, each with kid(s) from other relationships. I don't consider them single parents. Sometimes I wonder if it's just the best of both worlds. To be able to claim being single without having to do all the parenting alone. *shrug*

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. My husband's co-worker lives with her boyfriend who is also the father of their child. How is that any different than my husband and I? One piece of paper. She calls herself a single parent and yes on paper she is but she is not parenting alone.

My sil is not a single parent either. She's in a committed relationship going on 11 years with a man who is not the father of her children yet he is the only father her youngest has ever really know. They all live together, share responsibilities, finances etc. She does not call herself a single parent anymore. She was a single parent for the 3 years after her husband abandoned her before meeting her bf.

One of my girlfriends from high school is a single parent. She is on her own with her daughter. The daughter's father is not in the picture and she has no committed partner right now. She is parenting alone.

Yet another situation that I don't consider single parenting is my cousin and his girlfriend. They are both committed to raising their child together. Yet, they are not married nor do they live in the same home but they are there for each other and their baby. They do not consider themselves single parents.

Upvote 0

fuzzymel

Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yet another situation that I don't consider single parenting is my cousin and his girlfriend. They are both committed to raising their child together. Yet, they are not married nor do they live in the same home but they are there for each other and their baby. They do not consider themselves single parents.

I was going to say I know a couple like this and I would not consider it single parenting because everything is 50/50 and I don't know many fathers that put in 50% of the work so I do think in some ways the child has an advantage.

Upvote 0

fuzzymel

Contributor
Sep 25, 2006
Not a clue
✟15,527.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Fuzzymel, my husband doesn't put 50/50 into what goes on at home, but he does put 100% into the income that keeps a roof over our heads and food in our tummies.
Ok but its proven that children benefit from having two very hands on parents. I had a hands on father and it was far better for the emotional development of the child than having a father who only brings home the money and puts a roof over ones head.

I don't like it when fathers are only in it for the kodak moments. I am a very strong supporter of fathers rights. I think mothers all to often get too many rights when couples split and sometimes a child will benefit being raised by the father not the mother.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think she's saying that fathers who work as the primary income provider are only in it for the kodak moments or are hands off. I think she's saying (and I could be wrong) that fathers who are there only for the birthdays, holidays, big games, recitals etc are not what a child needs. That a child needs a father who is there and emotionally available for them when during breakfast, after school, on the weekends or any other time that the father is not outside of the the home working.

Upvote 0