What do Orthodox think of Worship Music?

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way I did post a thread in St. Justin Martyr’s Corner where this can be debated without the risk of someone reporting our friend @JESSE Dornfield for violating the SOP of this forum or alternately, perhaps we could ask the mods to move this thread in there and merge it with the one I posted. Or perhaps we could ask for this one to be locked, or the thread I posted in there to be locked or eradicated, so that the discussion can continue, because a number of interesting points have just been made by our friends @prodromos @Chesterton @PsaltiChrysostom and @ArseniusTheSilent (by the way Arsenius, I don’t believe I’ve met you before).

Here is the link to the thread where @Jesse Dornfeld , myself and @Yeshua HaDerekh continued the debate: Orthodox Liturgical Music and Concerns about Formalities

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't listen to music unless it is at least Christian-influenced. But I like plenty of metal. I even had a stint where I would do video reviews of albums I liked on YouTube. Never got into punk.
Check out HolyName

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Most of us were raised in another Christian tradition before being led to Orthodoxy. We've experienced what those other traditions of Christianity have to offer, some of us more than one. What @FenderTL5 said about the depth of teaching in the Orthodox Church as compared to other Churches, is not just some throw away line.
My grandfather was a reformed Baptist pastor. My dad a Deacon in the independent Baptist Church.
That's where I grew up. I later became a member of various SBC and Methodist churches, I worked on a Christian radio station for several years.
You wouldn't need much more than fingers and toes to count the number of Sundays I wasn't in church in my entire life.
I was in my 50s when I began catechism and my priest (at the time) used to smile at my "aha!" moments. I recall asking numerous times, "why have I never heard this before.."

Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0