What do christians mean by confirmation?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
For many people who grow up in Christian families and churches, and who grow gradually over the years into their mature adult faith, there are two ways to answer "When did you first become a Christian?": 1) Back when they were born, because they've always been surrounded by Christian faith; or 2) When they first made a commitment of their own to follow Jesus.

In churches that practice infant baptism, baptism marks the first of these two occasions, being born into a Christian community that will teach them about Jesus. The idea of confirmation, then, is to mark the second of these occasions, the point at which the person is ready to make their own commitment to Jesus. In churches that have bishops, the person being confirmed makes this public commitment in the presence of a bishop.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

The sacrament is there in scripture in acts 4:27 , and referred in early fathers.

E.g. Tertullian,around 200 - pre New Testament canon - says even by his time it was an ancient rite, a part of sacred tradition, he said and I quote:

"Then having gone up from the bath we are anointed with a blessed anointing of ancient discipline, by which people were accustomed to be anointed for priesthood, by oil from a horn from which Aaron was anointed by Moses [Ex 30:22-30]. For this reason we were called “christs” (“anointed ones”) from “chrism,” which is the ointment which lends its name to the Lord. It was made spiritual because the Lord was anointed with the Spirit by God the Father, as it says in Acts: ‘For they were gathered together in that city against your holy Son whom you have anointed [Acts 4:27].’ Thus also the anointing flows on us physically, but benefits spiritually, as the physical act of baptism (that we are immersed in water) has a spiritual effect (that we are free from transgressions). Next, calling and inviting the Holy Spirit, the hand is imposed for the blessing.”

Many Others in similar vein e.g. Hippolytus around 200

“The neophytes are anointed by the presbyter from the oil consecrated by the bishop. He says, ‘I anoint you with holy oil in the name of Jesus Christ.’ And thus, drying themselves, the individuals are vested, and afterwards are brought in the church.

“But the bishop, imposing his hand on them, prays by saying, ‘Lord God, who made them worthy to merit the forgiveness of sins by the bath of rebirth of the Holy Spirit, send your grace onto them, that they may serve you according to your will. For to you is the glory, to the Father and to the Son with the Holy Spirit in the Holy Church, both now and for ever. Amen.’

“Afterwards, pouring the consecrated oil from his hand and imposing it on the neophyte’s head, let him say, ‘I anoint you with holy oil in the Lord, the Father Almighty, and Christ Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.’

“And consigning the neophyte on the forehead, let him offer the kiss and say, ‘The Lord be with you.’”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No.. It is a catholic invention.. it was not founded in the Bible..
I have just pointed out the relevant scripture, and that it was tradition, which was the means of handing on faith in early church, long before your New Testament Canon was instituted by a catholic council.

It seems you need to study history AND scripture,

Upvote 0

JingshenBianxi

So Cool
Mar 16, 2017
Houston, TX
✟17,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I may have a moment in prayer where I'm seeking God and speaking His word and praising Him and then a thought may emerge. Let's say the thought is of my grand mother. And for some reason the thought is pertaining to the idea that she is not going to receive Christ. It's just a thought, however it came up DURING prayer. So me being a person that's flawed and what not.. I may ask God

What does this thought mean? Is this in fact true? I need....CONFIRMATION.

A week later in conversation, let's say my grandmother tells me out right that she has decided to be an atheist. Upon hearing that...it has been CONFIRMED..that the thought I had during prayer about her...was in fact the Truth.

That's what I MEAN...when I say confirmation. I can't speak for all Christians or ANY Christian..I can only speak for one Christian in this regard..

Myself. :)

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have just pointed out the relevant scripture, and that it was tradition, which was the means of handing on faith in early church, long before your New Testament Canon was instituted by a catholic council.

It seems you need to study history AND scripture,
Your scripture has absolutely nothing to do with baptism.. Nothing at all..

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your scripture has absolutely nothing to do with baptism.. Nothing at all..
But since the thread is about confirmation, not baptism, perphaps you would do well to read the title of the thread! and read my post you would see what confirmation meant to the first Christians.

Your private interpretation of that scripture is irrelevant - the foundation of truth is the church, which is why paul tells you hold true to tradition, and So you should listen to what the early church said the apostles meant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But since the thread is about confirmation, not baptism, perphaps you would do well to read the title of the thread! and read my post you would see what confirmation meant to the first Christians.

Your private interpretation of that scripture is irrelevant - the foundation of truth is the church, which is why paul tells you hold true to tradition, and So you should listen to what the early church said the apostles meant.

It has nothing to do with confirmation either.. You arrogant cheap shots is irrelevant.. Jesus was baptized as an adult and He never had to later come back and confirm his baptism.. The verse you misinterpret is talking about Him being confirmed as the promised Messiah.. Nothing to do with confirmation in the catholic religion which is linked to baptism..

Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I wondered when I posted, so let me ask the original poster: @multipleminiinterview, what did you have in mind when you asked about "confirmation"? The rite of confirmation as practiced in some of the liturgical churches, or a personal sense of confirmation as an experience in your prayer life, or the ways in which we confirm the accuracy of our beliefs, or something different? The word "confirmation" can refer to several different things.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,794.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Father I pray blessings on this request and for wisdom of mind in Jesus name I pray. Also taking these needs before God in prayer on the bbnradio.org Family Altar program. Which airs at 1:15PM Eastern, 4AM Eastern, and is now available on demand.... BBN Program Schedule

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The quotes on church fathers show the practice in early church

The scripture is acts 8:14-17

"When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit."

I speed quoted the wrong verse from Acts - I assumed tertullian was referencing the above, when I saw him quoting Acts. The above is comfirmation.

In any event, it is clear in early church AND scripture,
You should study both,

And cool it Adstar.... there is no call for insults in proper discussion.

It has nothing to do with confirmation either.. You arrogant cheap shots is irrelevant.. Jesus was baptized as an adult and He never had to later come back and confirm his baptism.. The verse you misinterpret is talking about Him being confirmed as the promised Messiah.. Nothing to do with confirmation in the catholic religion which is linked to baptism..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's a Catholic sacrament whereby the priest "anoints" the person, usually a young adult, and they supposedly receive the Holy Spirit. Whether or not a personal actually receives the Holy Spirit during confirmation is another subject entirely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We were getting ready for Church one night. So before we went I asked Him.. "Father I know you called me but .. can you please say it again. You said by the mouth of two or three". Now side note.. we had been going to that Church for about 7 years. And what was said that night was NEVER said before in ANY WAY nor after that ever again.

So that night 3 different people came up to me and said "you should be a preacher, minister" so forth so on. Now.. I will say this.. that was AWESOME FATHER IN JESUS NAME! WOW.. Well so many times it can take some time.. you stand.. and then you keep standing. Meaning.. HE heard you. What ever it is.. HE will answer. Now.. for me ok? I dont hear Him saying NO.. I cant remember but only once. So many times its like.. are you sure you really want that/this? Things like that. But ALWAYS make sure its written. He always backs up what He ways by HIS word. And Hes NEVER in a hurry. He is ALWAYS on time. And He gives uses PEACE joy.. aka fruits of the spirit... so we know its Him.

Upvote 0