Jesus and His Resurrection-How Much Do We Know of the Time Interval?

newton3005

Jun 29, 2019
newburgh
✟115,628.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel of John is the last of the four Gospels in the Bible. Many consider John’s Gospel to be the most accurate, but perhaps that doesn’t matter once the other three have had a place in the Bible as well and it is on the basis of our faith in God that we accept those Gospels as well, least of which because they are the words and inspiration of God if we have faith in Him. What do we know of his Resurrection according to the Gospels?

Well, you can start with John 2:18–21, in which Jesus is in the midst of an argument with the Jews for his driving out the merchants and traders from God’s Temple for engaging in commerce there on the Sabbath. When the Jews ask him what right he has in doing that, he responds in Verse 19, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” The Jews then ask him in Verse 20 how he can destroy the Temple when it took 46 years to build. We don’t know the answer Jesus gives, but John in Verse 21 explains that Jesus was referring to “the temple of his body.” If so, then Jesus knew that would be his fate.

(As for the “temple” part, it is confirmed later, in 1 Corinthians 3:16 that we are all God’s Temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in us in our temples. In that respect, I tell you that our temples are not images of God, they are God Himself.)

The Bible confirms not only Jesus’ prediction of his resurrection, but that his resurrection will occur three days after he is destroyed. His destruction is described among the Gospels, including Luke 23: 33 which actually states that Jesus is crucified. His death is confirmed when Luke 23:46 says “Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!’ And having said this he breathed his last.”

When did Jesus perish on the cross? We can presume it happened on Friday, since it is written in Luke 23:50-56 that a man named Joseph asked for and received Jesus’ body and put him in a tomb just before the Sabbath, which would be Saturday. The presumption, even if not confirmed, is at least credible since under Jewish law the dead are generally laid to rest within 24 hours after death.

And when was Jesus resurrected? Luke 24: 1-7 says that “on the first day of the week, at early dawn,” people went to the tomb where Jesus laid, but “they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.” Well, the first day of the week would be Sunday, so from Friday when he perished at the cross to Sunday amounts to about three days. The three-day interval, apparently is confirmed when in Verses 5-7, the people who were looking for Jesus’ bod were told by two people standing by, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and on the third day rise.” The “third day part” is referenced by Luke 9:22.

Why would it matter that we know that it was a three-day interval between Jesus’ crucifixion and his resurrection? It may be because it is necessary that everyone hold to the truth as revealed in the Bible. We don’t know who the Pagans were that Jesus’ disciples were in the process of converting, but a discrepancy that may seem small to some of us could be significant enough to cloud the truth that the disciples were in the process of conveying. And if some of the pagans were to ask others, who became Christians about Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection, and one Christian says, ‘Oh I believe it was four days because...’ and another answers ‘Oh, it was the same day fer sure,’ what would those Pagans think if the Christians can’t get the story straight about the Son of God? What would people centuries later think?

Our belief in God is based on our faith in Him, to the extent of our understanding of the Bible which is His Words and His Inspiration. People who were not there at Jesus’ crucifixion or death must get the story straight for both, as gleamed from the Bible.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
When did Jesus perish on the cross? We can presume it happened on Friday, since it is written in Luke 23:50-56 that a man named Joseph asked for and received Jesus’ body and put him in a tomb just before the Sabbath, which would be Saturday. The presumption, even if not confirmed, is at least credible since under Jewish law the dead are generally laid to rest within 24 hours after death.

And when was Jesus resurrected? Luke 24: 1-7 says that “on the first day of the week, at early dawn,” people went to the tomb where Jesus laid, but “they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus.” Well, the first day of the week would be Sunday, so from Friday when he perished at the cross to Sunday amounts to about three days. The three-day interval, apparently is confirmed when in Verses 5-7, the people who were looking for Jesus’ bod were told by two people standing by, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men and be crucified and on the third day rise.” The “third day part” is referenced by Luke 9:22.
True - and in Luke 24 toward evening on the first day of the week (Sunday) the disciples walking toward Emmaus say "and besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened."

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Verse 19, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
Jesus is talking about his resurrection on the third day. For the church the third day will be 2,000 years from the first Pentecost.

• Useful
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,240.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Gospel of John is the last of the four Gospels in the Bible. Many consider John’s Gospel to be the most accurate, but perhaps that doesn’t matter once the other three have had a place in the Bible as well and it is on the basis of our faith in God that we accept those Gospels as well, least of which because they are the words and inspiration of God if we have faith in Him. What do we know of his Resurrection according to the Gospels?

Well, you can start with John 2:18–21, in which Jesus is in the midst of an argument with the Jews for his driving out the merchants and traders from God’s Temple for engaging in commerce there on the Sabbath. When the Jews ask him what right he has in doing that, he responds in Verse 19, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” The Jews then ask him in Verse 20 how he can destroy the Temple when it took 46 years to build. We don’t know the answer Jesus gives, but John in Verse 21 explains that Jesus was referring to “the temple of his body.” If so, then Jesus knew that would be his fate.

(As for the “temple” part, it is confirmed later, in 1 Corinthians 3:16 that we are all God’s Temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in us in our temples. In that respect, I tell you that our temples are not images of God, they are God Himself.)

The Bible confirms not only Jesus’ prediction of his resurrection, but that his resurrection will occur three days after he is destroyed. His destruction is described among the Gospels, including Luke 23: 33 which actually states that Jesus is crucified. His death is confirmed when Luke 23:46 says “Then Jesus, calling out with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commit my spirit!’ And having said this he breathed his last.”

Why would it matter that we know that it was a three-day interval between Jesus’ crucifixion and his resurrection? It may be because it is necessary that everyone hold to the truth as revealed in the Bible. We don’t know who the Pagans were that Jesus’ disciples were in the process of converting, but a discrepancy that may seem small to some of us could be significant enough to cloud the truth that the disciples were in the process of conveying. And if some of the pagans were to ask others, who became Christians about Jesus’ crucifixion and resurrection, and one Christian says, ‘Oh I believe it was four days because...’ and another answers ‘Oh, it was the same day fer sure,’ what would those Pagans think if the Christians can’t get the story straight about the Son of God? What would people centuries later think?

Our belief in God is based on our faith in Him, to the extent of our understanding of the Bible which is His Words and His Inspiration. People who were not there at Jesus’ crucifixion or death must get the story straight for both, as gleamed from the Bible.
:wave:True

I also think that it is important to understand the original authors' purpose for writing.
Johns' purpose is to show that the signs point to Jesus being the Messiah... (the greatest sign being the Resurrection)

John 20:30-31Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

whereas Luke was interested in relaying an orderly account of things

Luke 1:1-4 Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One thing that might help sort this out is the fact that the first day of the feast of unleavened bread was considered a sabbath and a holy convocation on which no work was done (Exodus 12:14-16), and we know that the Jewish day begins at sunset, not midnight or sunrise. So Jesus was crucified on a Thursday, the day of Passover (John 18:28)... Jesus and the disciples ate the Passover just after sunset of the Passover, and the Pharisees and chief priests were going to eat the Passover just before sunset, which would mark the first day of the feast of unleavened bread. So Jesus was in the tomb from sundown on Thursday, through Friday (evening to morning) a holy convocation (feast of Passover Thursday night through Thursday sundown, first day of the feast of unleavened bread Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, again, sundown marked the beginning of a new day), through Saturday, another Sabbath, and He rose just before Sunrise on Sunday. So He was in the tomb from the end of Thursday day, Friday night, Friday day, Saturday night, Saturday day, through Sunday night and He arose at sunrise on Sunday (first day of the week). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟32,240.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
One thing that might help sort this out is the fact that the first day of the feast of unleavened bread was considered a sabbath and a holy convocation on which no work was done (Exodus 12:14-16), and we know that the Jewish day begins at sunset, not midnight or sunrise. So Jesus was crucified on a Thursday, the day of Passover (John 18:28)... Jesus and the disciples ate the Passover just after sunset of the Passover, and the Pharisees and chief priests were going to eat the Passover just before sunset, which would mark the first day of the feast of unleavened bread. So Jesus was in the tomb from sundown on Thursday, through Friday (evening to morning) a holy convocation (feast of Passover Thursday night through Thursday sundown, first day of the feast of unleavened bread Sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, again, sundown marked the beginning of a new day), through Saturday, another Sabbath, and He rose just before Sunrise on Sunday. So He was in the tomb from the end of Thursday day, Friday night, Friday day, Saturday night, Saturday day, through Sunday night and He arose at sunrise on Sunday (first day of the week). Hope this helps.
Some say Wednesday evening, but that it was a High Sabbath makes the difference.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟39,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus is talking about his resurrection on the third day. For the church the third day will be 2,000 years from the first Pentecost.
The First.
Revelation 20:
4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them.
Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God,
who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands.
And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.
5 But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power,
but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.

Upvote 0