Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There seems to exist a huge gulf between how the American Evangelicals and/or Christian Right worship Trump and between how the rest of the world's Christians see Trump as a deeply corrupted individual who panders to the American Christian right-wingers for his own personal gain. How come? Because for the American Evangelicals/Christian Right, it's all about partisan US politics and for the rest of the world's Christians, it's about our faith, our Lord Jesus Christ and about being a Christian, a follower of our Lord Jesus Christ, instead of being a follower of Donald Trump, a reality-TV personality turned US Republican President personality?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There seems to exist a huge gulf between how the American Evangelicals and/or Christian Right worship Trump and between how the rest of the world's Christians see Trump as a deeply corrupted individual who panders to the American Christian right-wingers for his own personal gain. How come?
Let's take that a step at a time. First, Evangelical Christians do not worship Trump. That inflammatory language is not only wrong to use, but it's also incorrect to say, without qualification, that American Evangelicals and the "Christian Right" (meaning what?) support him.

A recent survey showed that something like 60% of Evangelicals do. That's significant but not enough for anybody to say, flatly, that Evangelicals support him, let alone "worship" him.

And why might they support Trump? Because he is solidly pro-life and for the Constitutional right of freedom of religion. Not unreasonable motivations, wouldn't you agree?

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Let's take that a step at a time. First, Evangelical Christians do not worship Trump. That inflammatory language is not only wrong to use, but it's also incorrect to say, without qualification, that American Evangelicals and the "Christian Right" (meaning what?) support him.

A recent survey showed that something like 60% of Evangelicals do. That's significant but not enough for anybody to say, flatly, that Evangelicals support him, let alone "worship" him.

And why might they support Trump? Because he is solidly pro-life and for the Constitutional right of freedom of religion. Not unreasonable motivations, wouldn't you agree?

How many people have been put off from the faith or accepting Christ because they see us justifying Trump's horrible actions?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Well said. And those are the reasons I hear from Evangelical Christian friends. Of course this Christian (not an Evangelical) does not support him for reasons already given. Plus I just don't like having a President who has talked about grabbing women by the ___, etc.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The American Christian Right supports Trump, no matter what Trump does or says, no matter how anti-Christ, because it is a purely political issue, my party right or wrong. Support for Trump has nothing to do with Christianity, with Jesus Christ, with faith, with what is right for us as Christians. It is purely a partisan US political issue, where Trump is the president for the Republican Party, regardless whether one is a Christian believer, a Christian make-believer or something else.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How many people have been put off from the faith or accepting Christ because they see us justifying Trump's horrible actions?
Who would know?

And how many have been comforted by having, at last, a defender of their religious liberty as President?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Who would know?

And how many have been comforted by having, at last, a defender of their religious liberty as President?
But we have had Presidents in the past who were certainly defenders of Christian liberty but were not abusive, did not constantly make rude comments about others. I think Reagan and Carter would be good examples.

• Agree
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But we have had Presidents in the past who were certainly defenders of Christian liberty but were not abusive, did not constantly make rude comments about others. I think Reagan and Carter would be good examples.

Indeed. I admit to having been (and still being!) the most ardent critique of both W Bush's and Obama's policies and especially foreign policies, but from my Christian POV, I have always acknowledged that both were and are very fine Christian family men. Flawed politicians but fine Christian family men. George W's speech right after the September 2001 terrorist attacks was nothing if not deeply Christian response to a global crisis of decency, despite all the bad and wrong paths he was lead to afterward.

Trump is the very first US President who does not even pretend to be a decent Christian. I am most surprised that his supporters on the far right, some of whom might self-identify as "Christians," are so seemingly ok with his anti-Christ of enemy of my enemy's, if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. For a Christian, that is a serious sell out. You will forever condemn yourself. A follower of our Lord Jesus Christ does not need to sell themselves short, because Jesus is all you need. He does not need cheap tricks, popularity and political pandering to sell Himself!

• Agree
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Indeed. I admit to having been (and still being!) the most ardent critique of both W Bush's and Obama's policies and especially foreign policies, but from my Christian POV, I have always acknowledged that both were and are very fine Christian family men. Flawed politicians but fine Christian family men. George W's speech right after the September 2001 terrorist attacks was nothing if not deeply Christian response to a global crisis of decency, despite all the bad and wrong paths he was lead to afterward.

Trump is the very first US President who does not even pretend to be a decent Christian. I am most surprised that his supporters on the far right, some of whom might self-identify as "Christians," are so seemingly ok with his anti-Christ of enemy of my enemy's, if you scratch my back I'll scratch yours. For a Christian, that is a serious sell out. You will forever condemn yourself. A follower of our Lord Jesus Christ does not need to sell themselves short, because Jesus is all you need. He does not need cheap tricks, popularity and political pandering to sell Himself!
Agreed.

Trump has won over some Christians because of his Court appointments. I don’t think the man is pro-life, his appointing such judges to get votes.

• Agree
Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Agreed.

Trump has won over some Christians because of his Court appointments. I don’t think the man is pro-life, his appointing such judges to get votes.

I am clearly more jaded and sceptical than you are! For I think this man is not a bit "pro-life" or whatever; this man is purely whatever as long as it will help him to pay his millions of dollars of debt to his myriad of shady foreign Russian debtors. Trump is a chaos agent in service of former KGB agent Vladimir Putin, and as a Finn, trust me, I know Russian chaos agent when see one.

Back in the days when Donald J. Trump was still married to the first of his immigrant wives, Ivana, he himself was holidaying in "obscure" Finland, away from witnesses of his infidelity, with his newest mistress and basically all over Finnish Press giving his proverbial finger to every Finnish media about his ridicule toward he whole notion of Christian marriage, fidelity, decency. I have not forgotten. We have not forgotten his glib at the whole issue: You Christians are so easy, so stupid, so naive. This is the christianforums.com. I cannot cite Donald Trump's quatations to the Finnish Press back then. But the message was loud and clear back then: **uck you and your 'morals'. I don't five a **ck. I'm here to enjoy myself and myself alone."

Christian evangeligal supporters of Trump are being played. The most mystifying thing for myself as a Christian is the fact that they do know they are being played -- used -- by Trump -- and they still opt to go with it! For purely partisan US reasons! Not for Christ not for Christianity! No different for a "Muslim Jihadist" with their DIY "faith," really.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,888.00
Faith
Non-Denom
George W's speech right after the September 2001 terrorist attacks was nothing if not deeply Christian response to a global crisis of decency, despite all the bad and wrong paths he was lead to afterward.

But you are aware correct that the American media viewed him as some type of Darth Vader when he said you're either for us or against us? And you are aware there were many that thought he should be tried for War crimes?

I am most surprised that his supporters on the far right,

What do you mean far right? His supporters in the Party are the basic right making up by far the majority of Republicans.

For a Christian, that is a serious sell out.

Or is it rather a serious sell out to back a different Party which will diminish all religious liberties?

You will forever condemn yourself.

Nope you're wrong. Even if Christians made a mistake in judgment in how they vote for a secular politician Jesus does not want them to forever condemn themselves. God said in looking back at this world God will wipe away all tears from his children's eyes. And neither should we hate a dear brother or sister in Christ who makes a sincere mistake in decisions that aren't always easy and actually God is more concerned about that then who even wins an election. His body is Commanded to LOVE one another without reservation.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am clearly more jaded and sceptical than you are! For I think this man is not a bit "pro-life" or whatever; this man is purely whatever as long as it will help him to pay his millions of dollars of debt to his myriad of shady foreign Russian debtors. Trump is a chaos agent in service of former KGB agent Vladimir Putin, and as a Finn, trust me, I know Russian chaos agent when see one.

Back in the days when Donald J. Trump was still married to the first of his immigrant wives, Ivana, he himself was holidaying in "obscure" Finland, away from witnesses of his infidelity, with his newest mistress and basically all over Finnish Press giving his proverbial finger to every Finnish media about his ridicule toward he whole notion of Christian marriage, fidelity, decency. I have not forgotten. We have not forgotten his glib at the whole issue: You Christians are so easy, so stupid, so naive. This is the christianforums.com. I cannot cite Donald Trump's quatations to the Finnish Press back then. But the message was loud and clear back then: **uck you and your 'morals'. I don't five a **ck. I'm here to enjoy myself and myself alone."

Christian evangeligal supporters of Trump are being played. The most mystifying thing for myself as a Christian is the fact that they do know they are being played -- used -- by Trump -- and they still opt to go with it! For purely partisan US reasons! Not for Christ not for Christianity! No different for a "Muslim Jihadist" with their DIY "faith," really.
That’s what I said. Read my post—“I don’t think the man is pro-life.”

Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Yesitstrue

Sep 11, 2020
palm Desert
✟9,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am just interested to see what Christians think about Trump? I see so many posts in Trump forums Trump walking along with Jesus in a way i see it as a cult :D although i do support him because he is against liberals. But do honestly most you believe he will save America and he is choosen one? He is really wealthy and was an actor in many films, commercials is he really for the good of all? I remember there was this video where Trump said if he ever goes to become a president he will go through the republican party because they are so dumb.. So where is the truth is he really choosen one? or he is just with Illuminati and pretend to be with the people. My self i am still trying to figure out.

I think he is a liar, cheat dangerous low self esteem that makes him dangerous to us. He is not "smart". He makes me mad that he has used the Christian base to help him. Our country will not survive 4 years of him.
Destroyed our relationship with our allies.

He was endorsed by Putin and the Taliban. That should say it all.

I hate him and his enablers. I don't have feelings like this but it is him I hate what he has done and what he is doing.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But you are aware correct that the American media viewed him as some type of Darth Vader when he said you're either for us or against us? And you are aware there were many that thought he should be tried for War crimes?

I am a historian. And I do know that at the highest point, no less than 72% of Americans supported W. Bush's war of choice, the death and destruction, in Iraq. That is not "just" the ignorant and undereducated right-wing Republicans. That is a whole lot of moderate centrist and Democrats also. A testimony of the total failure of the American education sytem, media literacy and critical thinking if there ever was one.

What do you mean far right? His supporters in the Party are the basic right making up by far the majority of Republicans.
"Far-right?" The United States is but a de facto two-party country in the first place, with the far-right Republican Party and the right-wing Democratic Party taking turns in power. You are an American, right? Then poor you have no idea how single-ideology North Korean you are, in terms of your political "choice" when compared to almost all other liberal democracies. My sincere condolences!

Nope you're wrong. Even if Christians made a mistake in judgment in how they vote for a secular politician Jesus does not want them to forever condemn themselves. God said in looking back at this world God will wipe away all tears from his children's eyes. And neither should we hate a dear brother or sister in Christ who makes a sincere mistake in decisions that aren't always easy and actually God is more concerned about that then who even wins an election. His body is Commanded to LOVE one another without reservation.

63 million Americans, some of whom might have been genuine followers of Jesus Christ, did vote for Donald Trump -- three million less than voted for Hillary Clinton, but this is the United States of America so who's counting, a million here or there. There are, however, something like 2.2 billion Christians in the world, 2.14 of whom did not and would not, ever, support an indecent man like Donald Trump. 120 million Russians alone say NO to phony-Christian Trump -- and these are people who still support their own crook, Vladimir Putin! Here in Finland, neither the Christians nor the atheist support Trump and the only support Trump has in a country like Finland is from the tiny majority of obscure neo-nazi organizations. If a foreign politician is supported by the local antisemitic neo-nazi group, it raises the serious quetion of why, don't you agree? Now why would a foreign neo-nazi group, financed by Vladimir Putin, be a hard-core for-Trump? Any ideas?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yesitstrue

Sep 11, 2020
palm Desert
✟9,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Screenshot_20201011-111629_Samsung Notes.jpg

Or is it rather a serious sell out to back a different Party which will diminish all religious liberties?

We have to love eachother enough to try to get him out of office so we can begin a healing process.

He cares only of himself. Rushing scouts instead of COVID relief.
I'll post this again Democrats have been trying to get covid relief for awhile.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am clearly more jaded and sceptical than you are! For I think this man is not a bit "pro-life" or whatever; this man is purely whatever as long as it will help him to pay his millions of dollars of debt to his myriad of shady foreign Russian debtors.
Leaving the conspiracy theories aside, I want you to consider this. Politicians make a lot of promises; they usually don't come through after being elected.

President Trump has delivered on his promises to take action on behalf of religious liberty and against abortion. It is not a matter of promises.

If he had promised and not delivered...I feel that the Evangelical and Catholic Christian communities wouldn't be as supportive as they are. They, after all, have been lied to before on both of those accounts and by all sorts of politicians.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Leaving the conspiracy theories aside, I want you to consider this. Politicians make a lot of promises; they usually don't come through after being elected.

President Trump has delivered on his promises to take action on behalf of religious liberty and against abortion. It is not a matter of promises.

If he had promised and not delivered...I feel that the Evangelical and Catholic Christian communities wouldn't be as supportive as they are. They, after all, have been lied to before on both of those accounts and by all sorts of politicians.
I’m curious, what promises did Trump make on behalf of religious liberty? Perhaps this has been answered but if so I missed it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I’m curious, what promises did Trump make on behalf of religious liberty? Perhaps this has been answered but if so I missed it.
This article, published in a liberal magazine less than a month ago, discusses a number of them.

Although she did not mention several other of the President's moves towards safeguarding religious liberty, which I think she could also have included, the article is a good reply to your question IMHO.

President Trump kept his promises. That’s why, as a Catholic, I want four more years.

Upvote 0