Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am writer. A friend of mine is a state representative. I make more than my friend, but he has more connections. He could make my money go further than I could. He could leverage his influence and get more value for the dollar. I could take the money and buy someone a hamburger, but he could take it and get it to an organization that feeds thousands. I do not have those connections. He does. Therefore, it makes sense to give the money to him.

Just because a Muslim or atheist is feeding the poor does not mean a Christian is not doing the same. The two are not mutually exclusive. We should help one another do so.

1: If you think the money you give to the government is going to feed the hungry, you are very wrong. Trust me, I work for them and see how they spend it.

2: Was that the attitude Jesus had toward the Pharisees?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is fascinating the sorts of mental gymnastics someone will go through in order to try and ignore the simple word of God.

Christ says that the hungry should be fed, so the hungry should be fed. He does not say, "Feed the hungry, but only if they convert to Christianity" He does not say "Feed the hungry, but only if it is by a Christian". He simply says that it is God's will that the hungry be fed, the thirsty be given drink, the naked be clothed, the sick be comforted, and the stranger be welcomed.

-CryptoLutheran
He says, in a riveting discourse, ... "As you treat the needy ... so you treat Me" ...

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So if a Muslim or an atheist feeds the hungry, we as Christians shouldn't be happy that our neighbor is being fed?

That seems like the opposite of Christianity.

-CryptoLutheran
The scriptures say than even non-christian governments are used by God to bless their people ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You should be asking why yourself or another Christian isn't doing it instead.
I think that we should follow Jesus' lead here.

His primary mission was to bring in the kingdom of God ... and proclaim the opportunity of it ... to all those with whom He came into contact.

And ... He periodically fed people, but His primary mission was not to feed people.

Of course, it would appear that food availability was not a big issue in Jesus' context. Even Jesus and His disciples gleaned freely from the fields.

OTOH, it does seem to be true that Jesus recognized that it was difficult to preach to hungry people ... and so, when so presented, ... He would feed such people first.

Reactions: Jermayn
Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟108,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"It's him! It's him, O Lord! Standin' in the Need of Prayer."

Are those pre or post lockdown? Also, are you saying we should have left the economy open and let the bodies fall where they may?

Upvote 0

Thomas White

Feb 9, 2020
Stockbridge
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
1: If you think the money you give to the government is going to feed the hungry, you are very wrong. Trust me, I work for them and see how they spend it.

2: Was that the attitude Jesus had toward the Pharisees?

I also work for the government. I know how many people benefit from food stamps and unemployment. They're feeding the poor. Who am I to complain about how God is taking care of people?

• Agree
Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I also work for the government. I know how many people benefit from food stamps and unemployment. They're feeding the poor. Who am I to complain about how God is taking care of people?
Anyone who says that the government isn’t feeding people doesn’t think of all the low and no cost school breakfasts and lunches that get served and the WIC program.

• Winner
Reactions: Thomas White
Upvote 0

Mark Dohle

Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta
Visit site
✟44,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The men running for office or a reflection of the great divide in our culture. Our leaders can't save us, it is up to the people to stop demonizing one another and work for the good of the country. I believe that most politicians are corrupt. I doubt I would be able to remain innocent if I had some sort of power in the country.

For me, the pro life issue is not just another issue but central. I can't in conscience vote for the Dem's. I do not like Trump much either. So much contrary representation of that I do not know who to believe.....too much black and white thinking and feeling at this time, rational discussion is very diffiuclt. So we are in dangerous waters and could actually be dying as a culture......what next?

Peace
Mark

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I heard Trump say this morning how it is unfair that there will be a mute at tonight’s debate. How is that unfair? Trump can’t keep his big mouth shut—this is the only way Biden can get his fair time.

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums