What caused the Schism between the Eastern Orthodox church and the Roman Catholic Church?

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
and since Jesus is the translation of Yeshua, it is the same word with the same meaning. it does not matter if a Hebrew would not understand. Ivan is the same name as Yohanna. whether or not a Russian understands is a moot point.

No it isn't. He was not named "Jesus". You would have a better case using the English "Joshua". Ivan may mean something while Yohanna may not.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I know, and I am saying that Rome has tied in the use of unleavened to the Eucharist which is why they have been accused of Judaizing. I am not making any associations.

I still do not see how it is Judaizing, to me it is a misunderstanding of Judaism as well as Scripture. How are they promoting Judaism by using unleavened the whole year?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No it isn't. He was not named "Jesus". You would have a better case using the English "Joshua". Ivan may mean something while Yohanna may not.

Jesus is the Anglo form of the Greek Joshua. so it is the same name. and Ivan and Yohanna are both John, they both have the same meaning as John.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I still do not see how it is Judaizing, to me it is a misunderstanding of Judaism as well as Scripture. How are they promoting Judaism by using unleavened the whole year?

because of their rationale for its use

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jesus is the Anglo form of the Greek Joshua. so it is the same name. and Ivan and Yohanna are both John, they both have the same meaning as John.

Uh no, Jesus (unless you are Spanish) is not a name, Joshua is. Maybe the Anglo "Jesus" comes from the Greek "Iesous" but Joshua is Joshua as in Yehoshua/Yeshua. What I am saying is that John may not mean anything in Anglo, while Yohanon does in the original language "John" may come from. What does jesus/Iesous or John/Ioannes mean in English or Greek? What does the actual name mean? Just because they are derivations from the original does not mean they mean anything the same as the original. In the original language they do.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But they do not use it under the original conditions (other than one week a year).

no, but they use the original practice of the use of unleavened bread as a defense for why the Eucharist should be unleavened, which is why it is seen as Judaizing.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Uh no, Jesus (unless you are Spanish) is not a name, Joshua is. Maybe the Anglo "Jesus" comes from the Greek "Iesous" but Joshua is Joshua as in Yehoshua/Yeshua. What I am saying is that John may not mean anything in Anglo, while Yohanon does in the original language "John" may come from. What does jesus/Iesous or John/Ioannes mean in English or Greek? What does the actual name mean? Just because they are derivations from the original does not mean they mean anything the same as the original. In the original language they do.

but that's just it, because the name Jesus was always seen as a translation of Yeshua, coming from Greek to Latin to English, it's meaning is the same. if you ask someone what Jesus means, they would say the same as Yeshua. much like Ivan, John, Johann, Yohanna, Ian, etc are the same.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
because of their rationale for its use

My point is that they are NOT using it in the same way as Judaism does. Well I think we are beating a dead horse...I made my points and you made yours :)

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
but that's just it, because the name Jesus was always seen as a translation of Yeshua, coming from Greek to Latin to English, it's meaning is the same. if you ask someone what Jesus means, they would say the same as Yeshua. much like Ivan, John, Johann, Yohanna, Ian, etc are the same.

Again, you would have a point if you said Joshua. Again, we are beating a dead horse...I made my point you made yours...Shalom :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My point is that they are NOT using it in the same way as Judaism does. Well I think we are beating a dead horse...I made my points and you made yours :)

and my point is that does not matter. like any heresy, there can be more extreme sides and more moderate. I would not equate that to demanding circumcision, but that is the basis for our side's critique of the practice.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Again, you would have a point if you said Joshua. Again, we are beating a dead horse...I made my point you made yours...Shalom :)

well, no. it's like in the Celtic world, Shane, Sean, Shawn, and Sheena are all translations, and therefore have the same meaning, as John.

pax

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
and my point is that does not matter. like any heresy, there can be more extreme sides and more moderate. I would not equate that to demanding circumcision, but that is the basis for our side's critique of the practice.

I understand that but I do not agree that it is Judaizing...

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
well, no. it's like in the Celtic world, Shane, Sean, Shawn, and Sheena are all translations, and therefore have the same meaning, as John.

pax

What does Shane, Shawn, and the others different spellings mean in the Celtic world? And don't say John :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
certainly not an extreme form to be sure, my point was simply that gurney was not wrong.

It is NOT Judaizing in the original meaning or use of the word IMO.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What does Shane, Shawn, and the others different spellings mean in the Celtic world? And don't say John :)

that is what they mean. as these Palestinian names came to new nations, they were adapted to new language and dialects.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is NOT Judaizing in the original meaning or use of the word IMO.

and the Eunomeans were not Arian in the original, yet they are considered an extreme form of the Arian heresy

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
that is what they mean. as these Palestinian names came to new nations, they were adapted to new language and dialects.

LOL, what does the name MEAN in that language? Palestinian name?

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
and the Eunomeans were not Arian in the original, yet they are considered an extreme form of the Arian heresy

You are more up on heresies so I would not know :) I gotta go and look that one up

Upvote 0