What caused the Schism between the Eastern Orthodox church and the Roman Catholic Church?

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What caused the Schism between the Eastern Orthodox church and the Roman Catholic Church?

The complete answer would probably take a book.

The simplest answer, IMO, is that Rome tended to take liberties with theology (especially inserting the Filioque into the Creed, which changes to the Creed are the most serious kind of theological straying), and along with that, Rome believing she had a kind of authority that the others had never seen her to have. The authority issue really pushed things over the edge. It seems there were personality issues that fanned the flames as well.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There had been disputes for generations but these came to a head in 1054. A Latin cardinal & delegate,named Humbert, ( without the consent of the Pope) issued an excommunication to the Eastern Patriarch Celarius demanding allegiance to Papal supremacy, use of leavened (flat) bread in Holy Communion, adherence to the Roman trinitarian filioque (the Holy Spirit allegedly proceeds from the Father & the Son in contradiction to John 15:26 ) etc.

While this excommunication did not immediately split the church, the Orthodox could never accept its incorrect demands so 1054 is recognized as the infamous schism. There had been Latin and Greek rite churches in both Italy and Byzantium (modern Turkey) but each majority eventually suppressed the minority rites in their respective territories.

Surely a tragedy all around.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In what way?

created grace, infallibility, limbo, indulgences, the IC of Mary, purgatory, in persona Christi, the Assumption of Mary prior to her death, original guilt, Beatific Vision, to name a few

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
created grace, infallibility, limbo, indulgences, the IC of Mary, purgatory, in persona Christi, the Assumption of Mary prior to her death, original guilt, Beatific Vision, to name a few

I see no issue with those myself. Obviously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I would imagine not, however, they are also nowhere in the early centuries, and in some cases, flat out contradicted.

Well, I believe in the Holy Spirit working in the church and throughout history has given the church these things.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,592.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Pardon me, but don't we owe it to ourselves to not go by our feelings, whether we're Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox or whatever? If I say that the Holy Spirit has given the Church this or that, but the historical witness of the Church contradicts it, then shouldn't I go with the early Church itself, and not with what I'd like to be the case?

To that end, here is what a father held in common by EO and RC has to say about the soundness of worshiping Christ's body as a thing, as in the RCC "sacred heart" devotion (itself a post-1054 development):

We do not worship a created thing, but the Master of created things, the Word of God made flesh. Although the flesh itself, considered separately, is a part of created things, yet it has become the body of God. We do not worship this body after having separated it from the Word. Likewise, we do not separate the Word from the body when we wish to worship Him. But knowing that 'the Word was made flesh,' we recognize the Word existing in the flesh as God.

- HH St. Athanasius the Apostolic, Ep. ad Adelph. (c. 370 AD)

It's not possible to maintain that the same Holy Spirit, Who is God, guided both HH St. Athanasius (a saint for the RCC, too) when he wrote the above words and also people like Margaret Mary Alacoque some 1300 years later, when she popularized/developed this devotion that so thoroughly contradicts the witness of the fathers, as shown above.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I believe in the Holy Spirit working in the church and throughout history has given the church these things.

yes, but the fullness of the Holy Spirit was given to the Apostles, which means there is no theological innovation.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟753,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personally I think the Roman Catholic Church still has salvation but I think the simple faith of the likes of those who pray the Rosary and love God and neighbor is where it receives grace from the Trinity.

It is certainly not with incorrect theology we can submit to an incorrect ecclesiology on matters of authority.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
and I would add that we are in communion with the Patriarchate of Antioch, which was founded by St Peter before he went to Rome. so even if the historic direct line to Peter, we have it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON
Some posts have been removed from this thread.
Please remember that while fellowship posting from non-Orthodox is allowed here,
debating or teaching against Orthodox understanding is not.​
MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The papal claims, which were and still remain bogus and un-historical, were a major cause of the Schism. Throw in the filioque nonsense pushed by the Carolinian Frankish folks, unleavened Judaizing bread, forced celibacy on clerics, a non-conciliar paradigm, Western legalism, a church overly influenced by Augustine without the Eastern Fathers for balance, politics, pride, and the Nicholatian Schism (which the West falsely calls the Photian Schism) already having poisoned the ground water and a rogue legate excommunicating a patriarch during liturgy and you have Schism.

Upvote 0