provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Colorful metaphors welcomed (nay) encouraged. I'm trying to envision what those body parts are and do, in addition to that which is outlined in this chapter. Could anyone write in such a way that would explain how these members function in a complimentary way?

For example, a member with many spiritual gifts would be like a brain, etc. Just something out of the ordinary for its own sake.

I wonder if I'm a sphincter? Or a gallbladder? Or an eyebrow? Or an eyelash? Or an eyeball? Or an eyelid? Hmmmm what are you?!

1 Corinthians 12:1-31

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;

9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

14 For the body is not one member, but many.

15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?

20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.

21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.

25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?

30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet shew I unto you a more excellent way.

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all pertains to a metaphor of the body of Christ, we become the body of Christ. The metaphor of the body's members are our brothers and sisters in Christ united in one in the church of God. Christ is the church. It doesn't have to do with physical body parts.

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't have to do with physical body parts.

Completely incorrect. Read the passage again:

15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing (i.e. the ear), where were the smelling (i.e. the nose)?
18 But now hath God set the members each one of them in the body, even as it pleased him.
20 But now they are many members, but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of thee: or again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be more feeble are necessary: 23 and those [parts] of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness; 24 whereas our comely [parts] have no need: but God tempered the body together, giving more abundant honor to that [part] which lacked; 25 that there should be no schism in the body; but [that] the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffereth, all the members suffer with it; or [one] member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and severally members thereof.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, [divers] kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all [workers of] miracles?
30 have all gifts of healings? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

What he is saying here in context, Hall, is that because God was pouring out spiritual gifts upon everyone in the body of Christ during New Testament times, no one was unimportant. God was giving the gift of prophecy to one, but revelation concerning prophecy to another. He was giving the gift of tongues to one, but interpretation of tongues to a fourth.

The analogy of some of them potentially being "less honorable" than others applied especially to Gentile believers, who were sometimes viewed as second class Christians because they were being grafted in, compared to the apostles and the dominant leaders in the church, who were nearly all Jewish. But when all were operating in spiritual gifts that were mutually dependent upon one another, suddenly no one was "less honorable." In fact, more abundant honor was being bestowed upon those who were "less seemly," because GOD HIMSELF through the Holy Spirit was honoring them by using them as equal vessels in the operations of spiritual gifts within early church services.
I wonder if I'm a sphincter? Or a gallbladder? Or an eyebrow? Or an eyelash? Or an eyeball? Or an eyelid? Hmmmm what are you?!

I got a good chuckle out of this personally, and the OP is actually far more perceptive than you seem to be aware of. In all seriousness, these are among the parts of the body (including the private parts) which are precisely the ones Paul was referring to as being "less seemly," such that they would need to have to be "clothed upon" with greater honor. He was drawing a parallel between clothing the less seemly parts of our human bodies with material clothing and less seemly members of the body of Christ being "clothed upon" with greater honor by the Holy Spirit, such that they end up in some ways being clothed in an even greater beauty and honor spiritually.

As for what I am, Friend Of, my particular gifts make me both the ears, and part of the brain. The eyes would be the prophets. The mouth would be evangelists and preachers. The ears would be those who hear and receive revelation from God (1 Corinthians 14:26, 1 Corinthians 14:30). The nose could be paralleled to those with gifts of discernment. The Brain would be the teachers. The feet would actually be best paralleled to the apostles, since the word means "sent ones" in the Greek.

Hopefully you get some responses. This is a serious issue. Most people have no idea what they are, and therefore might not take this thread seriously as a result.

Upvote 0

Hall

God is good
Jun 17, 2016
Colorado
✟30,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Completely incorrect. Read the passage again:

15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.
16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; it is not therefore not of the body.
17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing (i.e. the ear), where were the smelling (i.e. the nose)?
18 But now hath God set the members each one of them in the body, even as it pleased him.
20 But now they are many members, but one body.
21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, I have no need of thee: or again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.
22 Nay, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be more feeble are necessary: 23 and those [parts] of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness; 24 whereas our comely [parts] have no need: but God tempered the body together, giving more abundant honor to that [part] which lacked; 25 that there should be no schism in the body; but [that] the members should have the same care one for another.
26 And whether one member suffereth, all the members suffer with it; or [one] member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and severally members thereof.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, [divers] kinds of tongues.
29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all [workers of] miracles?
30 have all gifts of healings? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

What he is saying here in context, Hall, is that because God was pouring out spiritual gifts upon everyone in the body of Christ during New Testament times, no one was unimportant. God was giving the gift of prophecy to one, but revelation concerning prophecy to another. He was giving the gift of tongues to one, but interpretation of tongues to a fourth.

The analogy of some of them potentially being "less honorable" than others applied especially to Gentile believers, who were sometimes viewed as second class Christians because they were being grafted in, compared to the apostles and the dominant leaders in the church, who were nearly all Jewish. But when all were operating in spiritual gifts that were mutually dependent upon one another, suddenly no one was "less honorable." In fact, more abundant honor was being bestowed upon those who were "less seemly," because GOD HIMSELF through the Holy Spirit was honoring them by using them as equal vessels in the operations of spiritual gifts within early church services.

I got a good chuckle out of this personally, and the OP is actually far more perceptive than you seem to be aware of. In all seriousness, these are among the parts of the body (including the private parts) which are precisely the ones Paul was referring to as being "less seemly," such that they would need to have to be "clothed upon" with greater honor. He was drawing a parallel between clothing the less seemly parts of our human bodies with material clothing and less seemly members of the body of Christ being "clothed upon" with greater honor by the Holy Spirit, such that they end up in some ways being clothed in an even greater beauty and honor spiritually.

As for what I am, Friend Of, my particular gifts make me both the ears, and part of the brain. The eyes would be the prophets. The mouth would be evangelists and preachers. The ears would be those who hear and receive revelation from God (1 Corinthians 14:26, 1 Corinthians 14:30). The nose could be paralleled to those with gifts of discernment. The Brain would be the teachers. The feet would actually be best paralleled to the apostles, since the word means "sent ones" in the Greek.

Hopefully you get some responses. This is a serious issue. Most people have no idea what they are, and therefore might not take this thread seriously as a result.
I am not the only one who interprets it that way. Here is one example from christianity.com:
Christ and his church form one body, as Head and members. Christians become members of this body by baptism. The outward rite is of Divine institution; it is a sign of the new birth, and is called therefore the washing of regeneration, Titus 3:5. But it is by the Spirit, only by the renewing of the Holy Ghost, that we are made members of Christ's body. And by communion with Christ at the Lord's supper, we are strengthened, not by drinking the wine, but by drinking into one Spirit. Each member has its form, place, and use. The meanest makes a part of the body. There must be a distinction of members in the body. So Christ's members have different powers and different places. We should do the duties of our own place, and not murmur, or quarrel with others. All the members of the body are useful and necessary to each other. Nor is there a member of the body of Christ, but may and ought to be useful to fellow-members. As in the natural body of man, the members should be closely united by the strongest bonds of love; the good of the whole should be the object of all. All Christians are dependent one upon another; each is to expect and receive help from the rest. Let us then have more of the spirit of union in our religion.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Ah yeah those connections are well made. I wonder if Feet would also correlate with peacemakers if we recall from Ephesians 6:15

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah yeah those connections are well made. I wonder if Feet would also correlate with peacemakers if we recall from Ephesians 6:15

Actually, that use doesn't have to do with peacemakers so much as sharers of the gospel of peace, i.e. sharing it with those who would potentially condemn believers to death, yet would nevertheless be presented with the message that a way for peace with the Living God had been made for them through the blood of Jesus Christ anyway.

But nice try. :)

This whole concept of the various members of the body of Christ being related to different members of the physical body is very interesting to contemplate. For instance, that particular part you mentioned that caused some ire would relate well to exorcists, since they cast out unclean spirits (i.e. that which is spiritually unclean) from the body of Christ. But I speak with maturity. There are members at CF whom I know very well would reduce this conversation to a level of immaturity that would border on the infantile. I pray they don't see it.

But so many other applications. It's fascinating. A great deal of revelation there, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Actually, that use doesn't have to do with peacemakers so much as sharers of the gospel of peace, i.e. sharing it

Wouldn't that make them evangelists and aren't evangelists the mouth? You've just proved that the Feet and Mouth are the same thing!

No I kid

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm looking for an answer that I can't ask for in a straightforward manner due to the... abstract nature of the question I suppose.

For example, I'm sure you can see how this forum functions in some ways like a body. Members bring their questions here and other members (of the body) help regulate them with answers and exchanges of insight in the very same way the body of an organism works cohesively to maintain the overall functioning of the whole. We are all here because of Christ, but how we came to Faith may vary wildly from one to the next. Just as our life experiences are unique, so must be our knowledge, understanding and wisdom, and therefore, respective functions. I do see it as more of a metaphor, but at the same time, I'm beginning to witness this metaphor become fleshed out and more literal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for an answer that I can't ask for in a straightforward manner due to the... abstract nature of the question I suppose.

For example, I'm sure you can see how this forum functions in some ways like a body. Members bring their questions here and other members (of the body) help regulate them with answers and exchanges of insight in the very same way the body of an organism works cohesively to maintain the overall functioning of the whole. We are all here because of Christ, but how we came to Faith may vary wildly from one to the next. Just as our life experiences are unique, so must be our knowledge, understanding and wisdom, and therefore, respective functions. I do see it as more of a metaphor, but at the same time, I'm beginning to witness this metaphor become fleshed out and more literal.

I suppose it can apply both ways, and this is more the type of application Hall was suggesting. But for me personally, the most accurate application would be with regard specifically to the spiritual gifts, since that is what is clearly discussed in the immediate context.

Upvote 0