Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Really enjoying Russell Moore's new book Onward. It's a little political, but I do see Dr. Moore as a quintessentially Baptist voice in the political world that our King and his kingdom is more than any political battle. In addition to this, I'm also reading Capital by Thomas Picketty, which is out of my league in many ways, but still finding interesting with the parts I do understand.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Really enjoying Russell Moore's new book Onward. It's a little political, but I do see Dr. Moore as a quintessentially Baptist voice in the political world that our King and his kingdom is more than any political battle. In addition to this, I'm also reading Capital by Thomas Picketty, which is out of my league in many ways, but still finding interesting with the parts I do understand.

Moore gets hammered as a progressive on the Pulpit & Pen. Any validity to that?

Upvote 0

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Moore gets hammered as a progressive on the Pulpit & Pen. Any validity to that?

JD Hall is the Jerry Springer of the Reformed blogosphere, so I take most of the comments he makes for the sophomoric blog-rating-stirring mess that it is.

Now that you know my rather subtle thoughts on Hall, I can see where the critique would come in that Dr. Moore uses some of the "liberal" lines, both theologically and politically (he's likely being attacked for more of the later, I'd imagine, for his stance on immigration and the like).

I see Moore as walking the delicate balance between Paul and James. He's attuned to correct doctrine, but he's also mindful of the "social gospel" (aka outworking) that often gets neglected, particularly in American and Southern Baptist contexts. He comments in one part: "If adapting to the culture were the key to ecclesial success, then where are the PCUSA church-planting movements, the Unitarian megachurches?" (p21). So I view him as holding the lines on the sort of doctrinal stances that are necessary as a Christian and not just trying to adopt a kinder, gentler Christianity.

If I could encapsulate the message of Moore, I'd summarize it as: We're no longer accorded the luxury of our collective voice being preferred and listened to in society, so we should be reminded that the church survived thousands of years of hostile culture not by being the voice of authority for society, but by individual encounters including love of Jesus expressed in right conviction coupled with acts of service towards others. He says: "Convictional kindness [will mean] a doubling of one’s potential criticizers. Those who don’t like the gospel call to repentance will resent the conviction, and those who don’t like the gospel drive to mission will resent the kindness." (196)

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Good to know. I have no ties to the SBC so I listen to his podcast as an outsider. Moore has covered the Briefing for Mohler so that’s about all I know of him. Hall also slams Dave Platt a lot but I’m not sure why.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Rachel96

May 23, 2013
Australia
✟18,466.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Everyday Theology: How to Read Cultural Texts and Interpret Trends" (Vanhoozer, Anderson & Sleasman) - the textbook for a class called Christianity & Culture, and quite good so far. A little heavy-going (far too wordy) at the beginning, but once you get past that, very interesting with pick-and-choose topics to read about.

1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, and Titus this week (halfway through 2 Timothy at the moment).

"Basics of Biblical Greek" (Mounce) - Chapter 31
"Basics of Biblical Hebrew" (Pratico & Van Pelt) - Chapter 30

I don't really have much time for personal reading at the moment... Some of my other textbooks this year have been:

"A Spectator's Guide to Worldviews" (Smart) - a little bit biased!

"Invitation to Biblical Preaching" (Sunakjian) - disagreed with some of the things he said to do, based entirely on having listened to sermons every week for the last almost 20 years, but a very good and practical book, even if I intend never to preach

"Living By the Book" (Hendricks) - I'd definitely recommend this for the average pew-warmer to read

"30 Days to Understanding the Bible" (Anders) - I think this would make a good textbook for a high school RE class, but a little low-aimed for a Bible College, and too interactive for personal reading

I think my only gratuitous light reading material this year has been "A Simple Song" (Melody Carlsen)... not as bad as the back cover blurb bakes it sound! A surprising twist at the end, but a good message to think about Christians and television and pop culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Grandpa4

Sep 25, 2015
Jacumba, CA
✟15,553.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't read except online due to failing eyesight caused by diabetes. I listen to the Bible on CD's--narrated by Alexander Scourby; I prefer the old King James. I listen to music on cassette tapes that I've had for decades; there's also an online southern gospel music radio station that I like.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Currently reading a translation of the Septuagint/LXX completed by the St. Athanasius Academy. My main Bible is the Authorized Version of scripture, it's what I've used for over 10 years and only use other translations online. The order of the books of the OT are different and the LXX includes other books that we consider apocryphal and are not included in the Roman Catholic canon. It's been interesting.

Upvote 0