Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Finished reading The Fellowship of the Ring, Rogue Lawyer and Queen of the North. Struggled with the first, other two are great books. Moved on to The Two Towers, which I'm finding easier to read. Also reading A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters, the first of the Cadfael Chronicles, amongst others.

Gillian

Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

HisCrossMyPeace

Jul 6, 2020
Western Norway
✟36,009.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've been reading I dont have enough 'faith to be an atheist' by frank turek...l

Noticed. Hopefully available in Norway, as the book is onto my reading list now.

At present reading https://www.bokkilden.no/servlet/VisBildeServlet?produktId=15784475&width=576 (title reads: “(Christian) belief in times like this - about a Christian world view”)
Next onto my reading list is https://www.bokkilden.no/servlet/VisBildeServlet?produktId=7188838&width=576 (title reads “Life - creation or randomness), as the “friskole” our twin boys - 15 - attends to are planning to use this as “supplementary book” for school year 2020/2021.

(“Friskole” = Norwegian privayrly owned school - ours by the parents - for years 6-16, 6-13 or 13-16, accepting quite a few govermental rules and receving 85/0 % governmental aid for “average Norwegian” daily running costs/costs for building and equipment)

Upvote 0

Caliban

Jul 18, 2018
California
✟46,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Married
Noticed. Hopefully available in Norway, as the book is onto my reading list now.

At present reading https://www.bokkilden.no/servlet/VisBildeServlet?produktId=15784475&width=576 (title reads: “(Christian) belief in times like this - about a Christian world view”)
Next onto my reading list is https://www.bokkilden.no/servlet/VisBildeServlet?produktId=7188838&width=576 (title reads “Life - creation or randomness), as the “friskole” our twin boys - 15 - attends to are planning to use this as “supplementary book” for school year 2020/2021.

(“Friskole” = Norwegian privayrly owned school - ours by the parents - for years 6-16, 6-13 or 13-16, accepting quite a few govermental rules and receving 85/0 % governmental aid for “average Norwegian” daily running costs/costs for building and equipment)
That's a funny title--I'm not sure the author understands what atheism is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Still slowly reading The Two Towers, also a William Wordsworth poetry book, which I am quite enjoying. Am also reading The Day Gone By, Richard Adam's partial autobiography, and Against the Tide: The Story of Watchman Nee by Angus Kinnear.

Gillian

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am currently reading The Alexiad by Anna Komnene. It was written around the year 1148. It is a biographical/historical text written by Anna Komnene, daughter of Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos.

It gives good information of the Byzantine Empire of the time as well as some details of the First Crusade and some of its leaders

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I recently finished The Histories of the Latin American Church by Joel Morales Cruz. This book is available in 2 editions: one short and one long. They are to some extent the same. The short edition is basically the introduction and first few chapters of the long edition. The long edition has many appendices and profiles of each Latin American country. This is the most comprehensive book on the subject in the English language.

Upvote 0

Azlan82

Sep 30, 2020
Northamptonshire
✟7,973.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Book Five into the Wheel of Time series.

Also reading A Gentle Guide to Unqualified Reservations by Mencius Moldbug.
How are you find the Wheel of Time series, I've got it in my list "to read" but keep putting it off because of the time and trying to wrap up a number of other series i have started.

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How are you find the Wheel of Time series, I've got it in my list "to read" but keep putting it off because of the time and trying to wrap up a number of other series i have started.
If you're looking for a standard fantasy series of novels then wheel of time is fine. I wanted to read something tolkienesque and though the story isn't at all similar to Tolkien's fantasy vision it's unique enough to get me through eight books so far.

The only problem I have with the series is that it's far too long and it probably should have been cut down in size and length. There are parts in the story which really drag and I notice the same phrases being used again and again. Women always have their fists on their hips. Men are always woolheads in the wheel of time.

Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The Northern Crusades by Eric Christiansen,
It is a general history of the Crusades in the Baltic against the pagan tribes there. The Lithuanians were one of the strongest.
It also discusses the great leaders such as Mindigaus (Lithuania) and Alexander Nevsky (Novgorod) as well as the development of the Teutonic order of monastic knights.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0