Rocky Mountain Region
✟304,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The Kalevala by Elias Lonnrot. It is an epic poem of Finnish folklore/mythology. It served as a major inspiration of Tolkien in creating Middle Earth. The main hero, Väinämöinen, clearly inspired the character of Gandalf. Tolkien used the story, Kullervo, the Son of Evil, as the inspiration of the story The Children of Hurin.

Upvote 0

Cimorene

Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
The Kalevala by Elias Lonnrot. It is an epic poem of Finnish folklore/mythology. It served as a major inspiration of Tolkien in creating Middle Earth. The main hero, Väinämöinen, clearly inspired the character of Gandalf. Tolkien used the story, Kullervo, the Son of Evil, as the inspiration of the story The Children of Hurin.

That sounds really cool!

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently finished Once in a Lifetime by Chrissie Manby. It is about this lady Dani and her teen daughter Flossie who experiences heartbreak after a bad relationship. I recommend it if you love romance.

• Informative
Reactions: Cimorene
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟304,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I am currently in the middle of the Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars) by Kim Stanely Robinson.

It is "Hard" Sci Fi in that it goes into great detail on exploring Mars and how it could be terraformed. However, the most interesting aspect of the story is the social, economic and political aspects of colonizing and terraforming Mars

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Slowly ploughing my way through The Lord of the Rings. Tolkien's biography by Humphrey Carpenter makes very interesting reading. Also reading Rogue Lawyer by John Grisham. Free online I have and am enjoying Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟120,714.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting. I'm still reading Lord of the Rings and Rogue Lawyer, but finished A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Also reading Daylight Must Come by Alan Burgess, which is about Helen Roseveare's 20 years serving as a missionary in the Congo.

Gillian

Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟304,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The Accursed Tower by Roger Crowley. It details the siege of Acre by Islamic forces in 1291.

Roger Crowley has several great history books. 1453 about the siege of Constantinople by Mehmed the Conqueror, Empires of the Sea about the siege of Malta and Battle of Lepanto, City of Fortune a history of Venice and The Conquerors about Portugal's conquest of India's Western Coast

Upvote 0