Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No. Christ died once and does not come back down to be crucified again.
Nice dodge, but it's still comes down to you saying we must take Genesis literally, but we must not take Corinthians literally. 180 degrees off, says I.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
One reason I believe but have some doubt about the bible is because man found dinosaur fossils and other things that confirm the Earth is older than the bible says. So if the bible is true, why doesn't it mention Dinosaurs? If it's true, then why does it say the earth is only thousands of years old?
Here you go:

Genesis and Creation, Days are long "ages" ect...?

With special attention to these posts here:

And this post and the links in them here:

God Bless!

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is the purpose of dividing the
age of Adams years [930] , by the
number of months [12] in a year?

In the ancient Greek world there was a literary genre know as the fable that was used to make a moral point or point out some human foibles. It was characterized by gross exaggeration such as talking animals. Aesop was a master of the fable. I am convinced that the Bible has employed this technique as well in order to make spiritual points. The gross exaggeration is sometimes numerical like the ages of the ancient patriarchs or the populations of the Hebrew tribes in the Exodus. The Bible also has a talking serpent and a talking ass. We also note an immense tree that grows overnight and withers just as fast and a man who lives three days in the belly of a great fish. Whenever we encounter such amazing rhetoric we can be assured that what we are reading is not to be taken a literally true or historic and that we should look for the real meaning of the story.

As for dividing 930 by 12, I just noticed that it gives a reasonable number for Adam's life span.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
This is the NIV... but... what animal is this?

If not a dinosaur?

Job 40:15-24 New International Version (NIV)
15 “Look at Behemoth,
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.
16 What strength it has in its loins,
what power in the muscles of its belly!
17 Its tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of its thighs are close-knit.
18 Its bones are tubes of bronze,
its limbs like rods of iron.
19 It ranks first among the works of God,
yet its Maker can approach it with his sword.
20 The hills bring it their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby.
21 Under the lotus plants it lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
22 The lotuses conceal it in their shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround it.
23 A raging river does not alarm it;
it is secure, though the Jordan should surge against its mouth.
24 Can anyone capture it by the eyes,
or trap it and pierce its nose?
13150.reed.jpg

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Notice that when soft tissue and DNA is found in Dinosaur bones - the first response was "not possible - dinosaurs are too old for that to have remained... you must have done something wrong in your lab".. but then it was "confirmed" this is the "real deal"..

So then... how to "fix it"

The research, headed by Mary Schweitzer, a molecular paleontologist at North Carolina State University, explains how proteins — and possibly even DNA — can survive millennia. Schweitzer and her colleagues first raised this question in 2005, when they found the seemingly impossible: soft tissue preserved inside the leg of an adolescent T. rex unearthed in Montana."
It took less than 5 minutes to find this. From "Smithsonian" (I added emphasis):

Meanwhile, Schweitzer’s research has been hijacked by “young earth” creationists, who insist that dinosaur soft tissue couldn’t possibly survive millions of years. They claim her discoveries support their belief, based on their interpretation of Genesis, that the earth is only a few thousand years old. Of course, it’s not unusual for a paleontologist to differ with creationists. But when creationists misrepresent Schweitzer’s data, she takes it personally: she describes herself as “a complete and total Christian.” On a shelf in her office is a plaque bearing an Old Testament verse: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Upvote 0

jahel

returned to old acct
Nov 18, 2019
Vancouver
✟26,770.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It took less than 5 minutes to find this. From "Smithsonian" (I added emphasis):

Meanwhile, Schweitzer’s research has been hijacked by “young earth” creationists, who insist that dinosaur soft tissue couldn’t possibly survive millions of years. They claim her discoveries support their belief, based on their interpretation of Genesis, that the earth is only a few thousand years old. Of course, it’s not unusual for a paleontologist to differ with creationists. But when creationists misrepresent Schweitzer’s data, she takes it personally: she describes herself as “a complete and total Christian.” On a shelf in her office is a plaque bearing an Old Testament verse: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
The irony of iron sharpening iron.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One reason I believe but have some doubt about the bible is because man found dinosaur fossils and other things that confirm the Earth is older than the bible says. So if the bible is true, why doesn't it mention Dinosaurs? If it's true, then why does it say the earth is only thousands of years old?

Watch this video.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Professor James Barr, Regius Professor of Hebrew at the University of Oxford, has written:
‘Probably, so far as I know, there is no professor of Hebrew or Old Testament at any world-class university who does not believe that the writer(s) of Genesis 1–11 intended to convey to their readers the ideas that: (a) creation took place in a series of six days which were the same as the days of 24 hours we now experience (b) the figures contained in the Genesis genealogies provided by simple addition a chronology from the beginning of the world up to later stages in the biblical story (c) Noah’s flood was understood to be world-wide and extinguish all human and animal life except for those in the ark. Or, to put it negatively, the apologetic arguments which suppose the "days" of creation to be long eras of time, the figures of years not to be chronological, and the flood to be a merely local Mesopotamian flood, are not taken seriously by any such professors, as far as I know.’
James Barr, Oriel Professor of the interpretation of the Holy Scripture, Oxford University, England, in a letter to David C.C. Watson, 23 April 1984. Barr, consistent with his neo-orthodox views, does not believe Genesis, but he understood what the Hebrew so clearly taught. It was only the perceived need to harmonise with the alleged age of the earth which led people to think anything different—it was nothing to do with the text itself.

Let's be clear: while Professor Barr believes the text was intended to be taken literally, he does not believe it represents truth.

Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Genesis 5:3 (KJV)
And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years,
and begat a son in his own likeness, after his
image; and called his name Seth:

Genesis 5:5 (KJV)
And all the days that Adam lived were
nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

Adam lived 936 years,
from creation to death.
Not sure where there could be a gap.
Prior to the fall, man was eternal and his lifespan wasn't measured by years. Is it possible those 930 years were counted after the fall?

• Informative
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Maybe you should stop looking for reasons not to believe in the Bible, and look for reasons to believe in the Bible. Faith is reasonable, because the Bible is true. There are great apologetics out there, if you look.

• Winner
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So if the bible is true, why doesn't it mention Dinosaurs?
Because the sacred texts are not intended to be an instruction in natural history.

If it's true, then why does it say the earth is only thousands of years old?
It really doesn't. Again, it's not intended to be a natural history text.

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟406,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the ancient Greek world there was a literary genre know as the fable that was used to make a moral point or point out some human foibles. It was characterized by gross exaggeration such as talking animals. Aesop was a master of the fable. I am convinced that the Bible has employed this technique as well in order to make spiritual points. The gross exaggeration is sometimes numerical like the ages of the ancient patriarchs or the populations of the Hebrew tribes in the Exodus. The Bible also has a talking serpent and a talking ass. We also note an immense tree that grows overnight and withers just as fast and a man who lives three days in the belly of a great fish. Whenever we encounter such amazing rhetoric we can be assured that what we are reading is not to be taken a literally true or historic and that we should look for the real meaning of the story.

As for dividing 930 by 12, I just noticed that it gives a reasonable number for Adam's life span.

I am sorry you [think] the bible is a bunch
of fables, and makes untrue stretched statements.

The bible says all the years of Adam as 930,
I will continue to believe the bible correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it possible that the Genesis accounts of creation are myth?
God says He spoke it all into being out of nothingness ... science says out of nothingness, kaboom there it was. Myth is seldom confirmed by science.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God says He spoke it all into being out of nothingness ... science says out of nothingness, kaboom there it was. Myth is seldom confirmed by science.
There is far more to the Genesis account than that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,319.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No. Christ died once and does not come back down to be crucified again.

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit.

Who said anything about Christ being crucified again? I asked if the Eucharist is literally Christ's flesh and blood.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0