• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

weirder than usual thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimba

Jul 29, 2006
✟7,667.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I need some reassurance and you may think that I am obsessing more than usual but does anyone ever do this? I was sitting here this am and thought "maybe I should braid my hair today" this thought was less than a second long - well my hair is spiked and one inch long!!!! I immediately thought "what a dumb thought" Now I am obsessing about if I have multiple personalities etc. (MPD or DID I think it is called now is one of my rumination subjects). Can OCD cause me to have an irrational thought like this? This has happened to me periodically since December when my last and worst OCD flare began. I have pure O OCD with violent images, lots of times about cutting myself, and these I am able to let go of fairly easily now. This stuff seems scarier somehow and I don't know what to make of it. PLEASE tell me that someone has also had these symptoms!!! thanks and I continue to lift all of us to our Father. Kim

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HI Kim,
I think our brain is able to produce any type of random/bizarre thought at any time. I haven't had this exact type of thing but I'm fairly certain that if you did have a multiple personality disorder that other people who are close to you would certainly take notice of it.
I can tell you that my daughter and I have both done something fairly bizarre which if we allowed might make us begin to obsess that we might have alzheimer's. I did it first when my husband's aunt died several years ago. I went to her funeral and yet a year or so later while talking to my husband I said to him.. " I wonder why your Aunt Barb has stopped coming to family parties?" He gave me this startled look and it took a few moments for me to come to my senses... and say..."Oh I suppose it might have something to do with her being dead and all that." Then just yesterday my daughter asked me.. "have you heard anything lately about how Aunt Sandy is doing?.. ( this..my aunt who had passed away from breast cancer this past spring).
I just sat there mute and her husband was staring at her as if she'd lost her mind. Finally after a moment or two passed I said..."well I suppose she's actually doing quite well now as she's gone home to be with the Lord". My daughter was sooo shocked that she could have momentarily had such a blank in her brain. In her defense, she didn't attend the funeral due to pregnancy complications.
Now... both these events could really wreak havoc with us about if we let our OCD grab hold of them and convince us that we might be getting alzheimers or something worse. Or we can just chalk it up to the momentary random, "Duh" moment in our thought processes where all the wires weren't fully engaged.
So try not to obsess about it anymore, instead you might share it with someone in an effort to give them a good laugh.
If you can't let go of it you could seek the opinion of a professional psych. in order to reassure yourself that the thoughts don't mean anything.
Praying for you,
Mitzi

Upvote 0

kimba

Jul 29, 2006
✟7,667.00
Faith
Non-Denom
THANK YOU! I had an appt with the therapist today and shared some things with her. She again assured me that I have OCD, GAD, panic attacks - NOT DID or Schizophrenia - and said the same thing you did - that I need to try not to run with it which is what I do....thanks for repsonding - you are very encouraging. Kim

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.