Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Of course. There is no doubt that secular moral philosophy will not provide the kind of detailed restrictions on harmless personal pleasurable behavior, especially sexual behavior, that Christians deem to be the most important.
I think it was the Free Church of Scotland (Or the United Free Church of Scotland, or may be the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland) that was said by its critics to object to sexual intercourse on the grounds that it could lead to uncontrolled and unwarranted outbursts of dancing.

Edit: corrected a faulty attribution of the quote. (Apologies to OldWiseGuy.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Most atheists say it this way ... "critically examining the evidence in nature.... the other is entirely based on one's own subjective interpretation of a translation of an unknown ancient author's short, vague poem (and ignoring the evidence in nature)"

the result is pretty much the same.
Which is why the creation/evolution debate is not about the existence of God, but about the Bible.

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Morality is a consequence of our evolutionary heritage as a social animal. Morality is that which is good for the individual and the group. The growth of culture and civilisation enabled the concept of group to expand to beyond the family and the tribe, to incorporate nations, religions, football teams, and - for some (most? many?) of us - all of humanity. Religion doesn't have that market cornered, regardless of any thoughts you may have on the matter.

Edit: I see Speedwell has said much the same thing.
I can't get behind morals that may or may not change "over the years".
If murder or slavery is bad in the 1200's, it is still bad in the 2100's.
How can it evolve?
Love and hate are set in stone, and won't evolve.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I can't get behind morals that may or may not change "over the years".
Personal incredulity doesn't carry a lot of weight in philosophical arguments.

If murder or slavery is bad in the 1200's, it is still bad in the 2100's.
But slavery wasn't bad in the 1200s, as far as many societies were concerned. Murder, of course, is a legal term. If we strip it of its legal accoutrements, then some would claim that capital punishment is a form of murder and certainly immoral. That is a point of dispute globally today.

How can it evolve?
When I spoke of its evolution I was speaking primarily of the root instincts and behavioural patterns that developed as we became human on the savannas and forests of Africa. But of course there is also the evolution of specifics that you have raised in your post. Now as to the mechanism of either I can speak at greater length if you wish, but the key point is that they demonstrably have evolved and thus the mechanism is secondary.

Love and hate are set in stone, and won't evolve.
Perhaps, but who we love and how we love and why we love may change. And - hopefully - what we do with our hate will be controlled and constrained by that evolution in our capacity for love. If such changes are not possible, we may be in for a bleak future, but I am an optimist, so I think you are likely wrong.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think it was the Free Church of Scotland (Or the United Free Church of Scotland, or may be the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland) that was said by its critics to object to sexual intercourse on the grounds that it could lead to uncontrolled and unwarranted outbursts of dancing.

To be clear, Speedwell posted the comment you responded to here.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think it was the Southern Baptists.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
To be clear, Speedwell posted the comment you responded to here.
I knew that.
I don't know why you think it is relevant.

I think it was the Southern Baptists.
The story is apocryphal. In Scotland it is told of The Free Church, or ancillary denomination.
A horse never walked into a bar for a beer, but the bartender did ask "Why the long face?"

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Because I wouldn't say such a thing. Why attribute it to me?
How weird! My apologies. I am at a loss to understand how that happened. Some form of operator error on my part. Since I knew it was Speedwell's comment I never noticed it was attributed to you, didn't consider that it could have been attributed to you and was consequently confused by your entirely appropriate (and very restrained, in the circumstances) questioning.

Right, I have now corrected it. It was preceded by an earlier quote of yours and the start of a response from me that I had abandoned. The forum software seems to have interpreted the misplaced italic indicators in my response, keeping your identifier, but deleting your quoted post, my abandoned reply and Speedwell's identifier. Even weirder than I imagined. For the record, here is what I edited out my post to restore the correct attribution:

[QUOTE="OldWiseGuy, post: 74775698, member: 139156]The driving force behind secular morality is law and fear[/QUOTE]Balderdash.

Again, my apologies and thank you for your forbearance.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How weird! My apologies. I am at a loss to understand how that happened. Some form of operator error on my part. Since I knew it was Speedwell's comment I never noticed it was attributed to you, didn't consider that it could have been attributed to you and was consequently confused by your entirely appropriate (and very restrained, in the circumstances) questioning.

Right, I have now corrected it. It was preceded by an earlier quote of yours and the start of a response from me that I had abandoned. The forum software seems to have interpreted the misplaced italic indicators in my response, keeping your identifier, but deleting your quoted post, my abandoned reply and Speedwell's identifier. Even weirder than I imagined. For the record, here is what I edited out my post to restore the correct attribution:

Again, my apologies and thank you for your forbearance.

Thanks. You are a true gentleman.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the note. Just watched it. Really well put together. I was impressed by how much footage they had going through the planning and construction.

Interesting. However if the ark had been constructed as described in the bible few would visit it. So authenticity had to be sacrificed for a more glitzy appearance. Which, to the trained eye, utterly defeats the whole project.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Interesting. However if the ark had been constructed as described in the bible few would visit it. So authenticity had to be sacrificed for a more glitzy appearance. Which, to the trained eye, utterly defeats the whole project.

It is certainly a monument to inaccuracy.

Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It is certainly a monument to inaccuracy.

Calling the ark museum a monument to inaccuracy is really a kind way of putting it.

A monument to ignorance, lies and deception might be a bit more accurate. Bless their crazed souls.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
You call it false evidence, but I don't.
His reasons will surely be revealed to the faithful eventually.
Wouldn't you like to be there when it is explained?
The GMIMW (God Moves In Mysterious Ways) defence is entirely unconvincing. There is surely a choice to make, for those that believe that God created the Earth - do they accept the demonstrable physical evidence inherent in that creation and treat the fantastical creation stories written by men who claimed to be inspired by God as metaphors, or do they take the fantastical creation stories literally and treat the demonstrable physical evidence inherent in the actual creation as some mysterious deception or red-herring?

Two obvious interpretations come to mind - the creator has given people the choice between believing the demonstrable physical evidence inherent in his creation or the fantastical stories written by men about it. Alternatively, the creator is a mischievous and deceptive Loki character (or worse), deliberately sowing confusion and division.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,926.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
The GMIMW (God Moves In Mysterious Ways) defence is entirely unconvincing. There is surely a choice to make, for those that believe that God created the Earth - do they accept the demonstrable physical evidence inherent in that creation and treat the fantastical creation stories written by men who claimed to be inspired by God as metaphors, or do they take the fantastical creation stories literally and treat the demonstrable physical evidence inherent in the actual creation as some mysterious deception or red-herring?

Two obvious interpretations come to mind - the creator has given people the choice between believing the demonstrable physical evidence inherent in his creation or the fantastical stories written by men about it. Alternatively, the creator is a mischievous and deceptive Loki character (or worse), deliberately sowing confusion and division.
Nailed it! On the other hand you and I and many others have pointed this out in various ways in many threads but we might as well have posted in Old Norse with 124 bit encryption for all the good it did.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Nailed it! On the other hand you and I and many others have pointed this out in various ways in many threads but we might as well have posted in Old Norse with 124 bit encryption for all the good it did.
Sadly true - which goes to show that religious belief is almost as resilient in the face of rational argument as conspiracy theories or flat-Earth beliefs ;)

Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I'll believe what is written, and let others believe the fantastical stories that they evolved from apes and fish and protoplasm.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'll believe what is written, and let others believe the fantastical stories that they evolved from apes and fish and protoplasm.

The scientific account is also written, and the evidence that supports it is very believable.

Fantastical stories is something that I would associate more with talking serpents and such.

Upvote 0