We are not saved by works?

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hearing and believing what you have heard are not works or choosing. They are listening and taking God at His word. No work at all involved in that. No choice either, apart from choosing whether to call God a liar when the gospel tells you God no longer holds your sins against you anymore.
???

Hearing, believing, choosing? Those are all verbs. Actions.

Works.

Upvote 0

ExTiff

Oct 1, 2018
Southampton
✟41,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
???

Hearing, believing, choosing? Those are all verbs. Actions.

Works.

Not 'works of the law' but works of faith. The way you would have it we could never know of or believe the gospel without 'works'. Your definition of the word 'works' in this context is defective.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not 'works of the law' but works of faith. The way you would have it we could never know of or believe the gospel without 'works'. Your definition of the word 'works' in this context is defective.
Mmm, fair enough.

I hadn't followed every post in this thread but (as you obviously understand already) "works" are frequently used in this discussion in a broader sense rather than your more focused understanding of "works of the law". I had assumed you meant the more general sense of the word.

As a defense, I offer the fact that it's been a long day. :D

Upvote 0

ExTiff

Oct 1, 2018
Southampton
✟41,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Mmm, fair enough.

I hadn't followed every post in this thread but (as you obviously understand already) "works" are frequently used in this discussion in a broader sense rather than your more focused understanding of "works of the law". I had assumed you meant the more general sense of the word.

As a defense, I offer the fact that it's been a long day. :D

OK. Don't mention it. Have a relaxing rest. :yawn:

• Friendly
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9–10)

Nice misuse of the Scripture. It is rather obvious by the number of people who have been born from above and then fallen into sin, as well as those of us who go to Confession on a regular basis, that this vere is A.) not saying what you are inferring B.) has a totally different meaning than what you are inferring C.) is probably in a Greek tense which indicates continuity of action rather than a once and done issue.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nice misuse of the Scripture. It is rather obvious by the number of people who have been born from above and then fallen into sin, as well as those of us who go to Confession on a regular basis, that this vere is A.) not saying what you are inferring B.) has a totally different meaning than what you are inferring C.) is probably in a Greek tense which indicates continuity of action rather than a once and done issue.
Those who are born again cannot habitually live in sin.

“Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:9–10)

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Light of the East

I'm Just a Singer in an OCA Choir
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2013
Fairfax VA
Visit site
✟558,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Those who are born again cannot habitually live in sin.

That's more like it!

The key word is "habitually," as in doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over without either repentance or the attempt to find the power in Christ to overcome that sin.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your answer begs the question, "why would someone who doesn't believe bother with baptism"?

It says "he who believes and is baptized shall be saved". Baptism is a requirement.

The eunuch said to Phillip, "here is water...", and Philip baptized him. Philip didn't say he need not bother with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are told to be baptized, but it is not a requirement of salvation, otherwise the man who hung next to Jesus on the cross could not have been saved.
I do not think it was an accident that this story of an unbaptized person being saved is written about.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We are told to be baptized, but it is not a requirement of salvation, otherwise the man who hung next to Jesus on the cross could not have been saved.
I do not think it was an accident that this story of an unbaptized person being saved is written about.

No one was baptized in those days. Not fully anyway. The thief was saved under the old covenant.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are verses that say Jesus was baptizing or at least was present while his disciples were baptizing, but be that as it may, Old Covenant or New Covenant, we should all agree that a person could be saved through a confession of faith in Christ when made TO Christ himself. That's rarely been possible, however.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay so this has always confused me. Maybe someone here can answer my question satisfactorily. In Romans 4:5 and Ephesians 2:8-9 Paul says that wee are saved by faith and not by works. Paul even takes it a step further in Romans 4:5 and says that a person who doesn't work AT ALL. That their faith will be counted for righteousness.

Yet in Matthew 25:31-46 Jesus sends people who do works into heaven and people who don't do works to hell. But wait a minute! Didn't Paul just say that a man who has no works will still go to heaven? Also in James 2:14-26 James says that faith without works is a dead faith. Why the contradiction in the Bible? Wasn't Paul aware that if we had no works that we wouldn't go to heaven? I'm not calling Paul a heretic but I'm calling him wrong. Because what he said doesn't match up with what Jesus says in Matthew 25:31-46! Or... Does it???

While certainly not as fun as 19 pages of arguments. This article here, coming from the perspective of 1 John 3:9, might help you better sort it all out in your mind.

The Meaning of 1 John 3:9 - Faith Baptist Bible College

Upvote 0

ExTiff

Oct 1, 2018
Southampton
✟41,282.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No one was baptized in those days. Not fully anyway. The thief was saved under the old covenant.

This reasoning is a bit whacky. Are you suggesting that eternal life was promised under the Old Covenant? Before Christ had brought in The New by his sacrificial and atoning death? That almost makes the atonement and resurrection non events.

Not that I disagree with the notion that eternal life was at Christ's disposal even here on earth and He never stepped outside what the Father allowed, either before or after the crucifixion. The fact remains though that baptism was certainly done before the crucifixion and the thief was, (as far as we know, not baptized), though it is also quite possible that he actually was. John.1:26-28. Mark.11:30-32.

You will have some difficulty convincing most Bible scholars, who would alert you to the theological implications carried by your rather unusual suggestion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That is untrue. John the Baptist baptized even before Christ started preaching.

John the Baptist offered a Jewish baptism of repentance. It was not a Christian baptism.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here we have the correct order of things outlined for us. WE can do nothing to earn our salvation. WE can do things or not do things, (lets call them all 'works', either good or bad), which might indicate to God and others that we are either appreciating or neglecting our salvation gift. If we sufficiently neglect our free and great salvation, we are liable to lose it altogether. If we appreciate our salvation gift we are all the better for it and God's Kingdom increases on earth. (Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done etc.)

Good works are what God has equipped us to do, by giving to us His Holy Spirit. By doing them we do not gain or secure God's free gift of salvation, it is already ours for nothing, we merely perform the function for which God originally made us, and we can claim no credit for being what God simply intended us to be in the first place. Lk.17:10.
Yes, we can take no credit, because nothing but Christ can save us. We cannot pay for the sins we have committed. The wages of sin is death.
After we receive, we give back.
I like the saying we are not saved by works, but we just as surely are not saved without them.
James said "faith without works is dead", and Jesus said "I was hungry and you fed me..."( or not), and "as you have done to the least of these, you have done to me";
And then pronounced judgment on the doers and non-doers based on their works.
Because if we claim to love Christ, we must pick up our cross, and if we see our brother in need, and are able to help, we must help them.
Otherwise our faith is dead.
It is not really faith at all.
It is the free gift that costs us everything :)
Praise be to God.

Upvote 0

Robin Mauro

Sep 11, 2018
North San Juan
✟27,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John the Baptist offered a Jewish baptism of repentance. It was not a Christian baptism.
Untrue.
"There is one coming after me, whose sandal straps I am not fit to untie." John the Baptist.
And he leaped inside his mothers womb at he sound of pregnant mother Mary's voice. He was all about repentance and salvation. He was all about Jesus!

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Untrue.
"There is one coming after me, whose sandal straps I am not fit to untie." John the Baptist.
And he leaped inside his mothers womb at he sound of pregnant mother Mary's voice. He was all about repentance and salvation. He was all about Jesus!

Let's back up a bit. Jesus said he "who believes and is baptized shall be saved."

We have a now two thousand year tradition of baptism in the Church. Yet you have taken upon yourself to tell people there is no need for baptism.

Where do you get that authority from?

Upvote 0